Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Captain Jacks ?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBX5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    773

    Captain Jacks ?

    I want to try and ride a DH in the springs but trying to find out what the roads for the shuttle are like? I see most say 4wd but what about ground clearance? Could I make the road in a Subaru? If not any shuttle trails you could recommend that I could? Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    875
    Subaru shouldn't be a problem. I've taken my Subaru Baja up there numerous times.

    Chris

  3. #3
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    I want to try and ride a DH in the springs but trying to find out what the roads for the shuttle are like? I see most say 4wd but what about ground clearance? Could I make the road in a Subaru? If not any shuttle trails you could recommend that I could? Thanks
    Depends on the road. The main road used for shuttling is 379 which is fairly high clearance in one spot about .5 miles in and I wussed out on it last time. That was the first time I tried to take my Sub (OBXT) up it, and the main reason I wussed out was that I don't have any skid plates. With skid plates (or a better driver) a Subaru should be able to get up. Ask Todd (Snowskilz) about driving up it in his Baja.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    188
    I was in Todd's baja, and will vouch that it bottomed out numerous times, once quite hard. But if the 3 of the 4 dudes were walking it would have been fine.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBX5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    773
    Cool thanks! I think I may try it today.

  6. #6
    People of zee wurl,Relax!
    Reputation: trail topher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    341

    Just bike up

    Sorry. But somebody was bound to post it. Just park at one of the lower lots and bike up the rest of the way. It really isn't that hard.

  7. #7
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,876
    Why dont you bike up Saint Marys and earn your downhill!

    It dumps you out about 2/3 the way up 379.

    St. Marys is an awesome climb!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude_72
    Why dont you bike up Saint Marys and earn your downhill!

    It dumps you out about 2/3 the way up 379.

    St. Marys is an awesome climb!
    I second that. A long hike a bike in parts, but I prefer that to riding up the gradual dirt road. Also, once you pass the falls it is unusual to see anyone until FR379, which is a nice bonus.

    It seemed like the only Col Springs posts I have seen on this sight is from the shuttling crowd, so it is good to see some posts that encourage earning your turns!!!

  9. #9
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Depends on the road. The main road used for shuttling is 379 which is fairly high clearance in one spot about .5 miles in and I wussed out on it last time. That was the first time I tried to take my Sub (OBXT) up it, and the main reason I wussed out was that I don't have any skid plates. With skid plates (or a better driver) a Subaru should be able to get up. Ask Todd (Snowskilz) about driving up it in his Baja.
    We took Dave's WRX up to the parking lot before that last stretch of road since we didn't have enough 4x4 vehicles when we did it with you last summer. It made it quite the fun drive.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBX5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    773
    Why don't you just stick to your own posts? I know I could climb other trails/road to get the down hill. Thanks again to the people who posted to my question had a blast today other than the I-25 drive home.

  11. #11
    n00b eternal
    Reputation: ezweave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    Sorry. But somebody was bound to post it. Just park at one of the lower lots and bike up the rest of the way. It really isn't that hard.
    If you are going up to the top of Jones/Pipline to Upper and then Lower Jack's this isn't going to happen. It is 45 minute+ drive from the parking lot. You can get close to the trailhead and hike a bike up the mile or so to the start of the trail.

  12. #12
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,638
    Ha, that was a wonderful time going up that road in my baja. def bottomed her out a few times. now i got a dodge 1500 that has not problem making it up that road

  13. #13
    Inflexable...
    Reputation: kchri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    Why don't you just stick to your own posts? I know I could climb other trails/road to get the down hill. Thanks again to the people who posted to my question had a blast today other than the I-25 drive home.
    If you don't want people to post, then do not start a thread...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by ezweave
    If you are going up to the top of Jones/Pipline to Upper and then Lower Jack's this isn't going to happen. It is 45 minute+ drive from the parking lot. You can get close to the trailhead and hike a bike up the mile or so to the start of the trail.
    What is not going to happen?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    619

    kurt! what, are you bored...

    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    If you don't want people to post, then do not start a thread...
    leave the fellow alone

    you all play nice now!!!!



    see you tomorrow???

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBX5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    If you don't want people to post, then do not start a thread...
    Did I say I don't want people to post? I didn't ask what trails or road to ride so why would people post how I should get to the top? Oh well I guess that's the way of the net people have to post what they think is the right way even if no one asked. snowskilzyou have a PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •