Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Big Boned

Can't Push a 36... Anyone know why?

Can't push a 40 either, for that matter. I'm breaking down my Nomad for a full detail and overhaul, and I'm sending my DHX 5.0 into Push for the factory tune. But Push doesn't work on 36 Forx, so it seems service options are LBS or Fox Factory.

Anyone know what's up with Push's resistance to the 36 and 40?

I know, I should just call them, and I'm planning on doing that anyway. But heck, I'm bored, so I figured I'd just toss this out.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    they don't work them at all or just won't tune them?

maybe they will do a standard rebuild, AFAIK they are a fox service center too....

mtbr member

It is curious

I've wondered that myself. If you call them, let us know what you find out. You also might try posting to the suspension forum. I think Push keeps an eye on it.

trail waggler

Maybe...

It's already perfect. No, wait, that's why they don't work on Marzocchi forks.

The DHX tune should be sweet, I love to try that. I have some lighter Torco oil coming to try in mine, but it would be cool to try that Push piston head!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Awesomist™
    I've already asked them, here's your answer: they don't have the tooling and they're so busy with everything else they work on they don't really need to work on those forks as well. Apparently the cartridge in the 36 and the 40 is different then the cartridge in the rest of the Fox line, and Push doesn't have the stuff it takes to work on those.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fork discrimination in this day and age is just sad. A Fox is a Fox is a Fox

Not just famous; infamous

Fuzzy memories

From the Push website FAQs:

Q: Will you be working on FOX 36 and 40 Forks
    A: No.

Guess that sums it up.
    AFAIK, the 32 series forks and the 36/40s are completely different damping systems that are too much of a PITA for Push to modify. I remember getting the feeling from early posts about the 36 that Push was a little irritated with the new system and pretty much blacklisted the fork right after they opened it up. There were some early attempts at modifying the damper, (Squeaky Wheel, had one, I believe???) but only a couple of forks were modified. Again, this is some random memory from a couple years ago, so take it for what it's worth.

It does seem odd that the 36/40 series was dropped from consideration so quickly, while Push seems to be working on RockShox and perhaps Marzocchi mods. But then again, I know squat about suspension dampers and maybe Fox's cartridge dampers are really so hard/expensive to work on that it's not worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are there other tuning shops? It seems that I recall hearing really good things about either one or two but we always think of PUSH. I'll see if I can find out who else is there (I do remember seeing one interesting one lately) and post up. I'd love to get a Fox 36 and eventually have a suspension shop tune it. If it turns out to be impressive, it would be nice to have another choice.

Big Boned
    I checked the Garage Works and Hippie Tech sites and neither are an authorized Fox service center. Those are the only two other aftermarket suspension tuning shops I know of, but there may be others. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work on them, but then, it doesn't make me hopeful. I'll have to give them a call.

It does seem odd that Push is picking up Rock Shox but not expanding their Fox capabilities. And their FAQ answer sounds pretty darn final. Bummer.

I'll search the suspension forum and see what's over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Are there other tuning shops? It seems that I recall hearing really good things about either one or two but we always think of PUSH. I'll see if I can find out who else is there (I do remember seeing one interesting one lately) and post up. I'd love to get a Fox 36 and eventually have a suspension shop tune it. If it turns out to be impressive, it would be nice to have another choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The one I hear of was neither one of those and I wish I had saved that site. It sounded really professional and I'll see if I can post something in the General Discussion section.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I checked the Garage Works and Hippie Tech sites and neither are an authorized Fox service center. Those are the only two other aftermarket suspension tuning shops I know of, but there may be others. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't work on them, but then, it doesn't make me hopeful. I'll have to give them a call.

It does seem odd that Push is picking up Rock Shox but not expanding their Fox capabilities. And their FAQ answer sounds pretty darn final. Bummer.

I'll search the suspension forum and see what's over there.
    What year is your 36? The 08' fork is quite a bit different (in terms of the damper design) and I suspect that we may see Push tuning offered on those at some point.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Darren, mark this down on your Customer Wish List. Re-build it and they will come

PS- I'm not a 36 owner (yet anyway).

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    What year is your 36? The 08' fork is quite a bit different (in terms of the damper design) and I suspect that we may see Push tuning offered on those at some point.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Hmm, I'm currently shopping for a big single crown fork - mark this up as one more pro for the 36 Talas...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Big Boned
    It's an 06 Van RC2. I had thought about selling it and buying the 07 or 08 anyway, mainly to step up to the 20QR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

Awesomist™
    Another reason they may just not be messing with the 36/40 market and yet still exploring RS/Marz tuning is that bigger travel forks with thru-axles are still a smaller market than regular QR stuff. Not that you'd know it in Colorado, but if you think about the market nationally there's a LOT more 4" QR forks on bikes than there are 36's, Pikes, 66's, etc.

When I was in there and asked them about tuning on my 36 Talas and they told me they don't do that, Darren also said he was going to take a look at the '08 Fox 36 and potentially tool up for it. It sounded more like a remote possibility than something they were set on doing though.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree- the 32 forks is where the volume is. However, once demand rises up for the bigger ones (as it slowly is) and if someone else jumps in to fill that niche, PUSH can find itself with a strong competitor who can then take 32 business away after some good feedback on the bigger forks.

Who knows- maybe it's too expensive or difficult to tool up for that. I do wish they offer services for the 36 though. That fork seems to be selling well this year. I just saw one on a new 575.
    Last edited by Flyer; 11-23-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Big Boned
    Yeah, I love my 36, as heavy as it is, except it's developed a small oil leak and seems to be bogging down in its travel, so I think it needs more than just a cleaning and oil top off. Minor annoyances and completely understandable after 2+ seasons of heavy use under a heavy rider, so no complaints there. I just wish I could have both suspension components serviced and tuned by one shop, for that whole "synergy" thing. Oh well.

banned
    Fox offers a pretty in-depth service manual on their site, which could be of interest to you. Doesn't look terrible, although there are many steps to it.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Fox offers a pretty in-depth service manual on their site, which could be of interest to you. Doesn't look terrible, although there are many steps to it.
    About all you can 'easily' do to a 36 is change the lubrication oil bath and the seals. When they say don't take the cartridge and bladder apart...they mean it....it was a long and frustrating afternoon.

Regarding PUSH, they are maxed out in terms of space and have their hands full with what they are handling now. They want to keep doing things right and fast (and profitably)rather than spreading themselves thin and going asses to elbows in the shop. If/when they expand or move into a bigger space I'm sure we'll see all sorts of cool new products and services.

+plug+My Roco WC Factory Race Rebuild transformed my Stab and made me at least 2 seconds faster...then the improtu 888 consultation and setup made me another 1.77 seconds faster+plug+ Thanks to Darren, Jimmy and the crew.

banned
    I dunno, from their outline on the site, it looks like it has a lot of steps, but nothing is tough.

Big Boned
    Time is money. I do most of my own run-of-the-mill work and keep lots of random spare parts around, but when it comes to suspension work beyond basic cleaning and routine maintenance, it's easier and more cost-effective for me to just send it off and let the pros handle it. I'll still come out ahead if I spend (billable) time on my real-life work, rather than spending 3 hours in the garage, not counting any time I might need to spend tracking down any parts that might need replacing.

banned
    I'm the opposite. My time is money, but sending the fork out, getting it back, etc is diminishing returns for me, especially when I have the ability to do this stuff and I'd rather spend the money on the first servicing to get any special tools I may need or make my own.

Big Boned
    Obviously, my hourly rate is much higher than yours...

I'm not going to dick around trying to replace bushings or seals when I can ship the fork back to Fox and have it back in a week or 10 days, especially when I have other bikes I can ride in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm the opposite. My time is money, but sending the fork out, getting it back, etc is diminishing returns for me, especially when I have the ability to do this stuff and I'd rather spend the money on the first servicing to get any special tools I may need or make my own.

VooDoo user.
    I'll buy a 36 (AGAIN) if Push will work on them.

Only way I'll trade in the ZOKE 66. (well maybe not the only way).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I see some smokin deals on the 36 every now and then. If I know PUSH will work on them, I'd be very inclined to pick one up and sell my Pike, Marz, and 32 Talas to fund it. It may be a lot to ask them (PUSH) to do but it sure would be nice and I know a lot more guys would buy 36s. Heck it's always a contender this year when looking for a bigger fork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast