"Oldfart from Wayback"

Can't MTB, go hike. Hewletts and Greyrock TR

With the forecast calling for near 60F temps this past weekend I was looking forward to getting out for some hiking since the trails are still too snowy/muddy to ride.

Sat I was planning on Greyrock but the temp inversion kept me doubting if we'd ever make it to 40. Around noon I decided to drive up the canyon and found Greyrock TH full so I drove to Hewlett's. There were only 1/2 doz cars there, so I grabbed my pack and headed out.

It's the first time I've ever walked it vs biking and the first time I've been there on a weekend in many years. 90% of the lower trail was solid ice or hardpack snow, although there was one lone set of tire tracks. What I did notice was that even though there were only ~12 other hikers out, they all had multiple dogs. There must have have been 25-30 dogs running around. At least they were all relatively well behaved,

Sun., I hit up Greyrock with much lighter traffic.

15 mi in 2 days and ~ 3540' climbing.

Moderator Moderator
    Solid, love that hike.

Great pics!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Love that fourth pic! Hiking is real different from biking fo'sho'. Different muscles, way different pace. Give one time to stop and smell the lichen.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett