Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Canon City

  1. #1
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,738

    Canon City

    I did a search and noticed new trails are being built. I was wondering how many miles of trails are close by. I would also like to now how far the trail heads are from residential areas. I would ride every day if my body would let me. And finally, is it a cool place to live? My clubbing days are over.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blueallah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    116
    I stayed there for a couple of months while working and I would not say it is a cool place to live. Cool compared to Oklahoma? Probably. But for CO you can do a lot better. The trails available when I was there (2010) were OK, but way too beat up by ATVs. I wasn't really into Canon City.

  3. #3
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    I did a search and noticed new trails are being built. I was wondering how many miles of trails are close by. I would also like to now how far the trail heads are from residential areas. I would ride every day if my body would let me. And finally, is it a cool place to live? My clubbing days are over.
    Canon City has some things going for it.

    Probably the cheapest real estate in CO anywhere near mountains.

    Not all that far from the mountains, Monarch Pass is only 90 (easy) minutes away.

    Mild weather for the most part.

    Merlinos' Belvedere.

    The trail miles are growing, there's a really good trails group there and they have rock-solid support from BLM. I see their trails inventory growing, and what they have built recently is high quality. There's stuff to ride very close to town, some of their new trails are a little further out.

    Shelf Road and Phantom Canyon are very close, both pretty cool routes up to Victor/Cripple Creek.

    Now, most everyone in CO will totally slag on CC. It's an aging city. Lots of grumpy gray-hairs. Dept of Corrections is by far the biggest employer. So there's your cultural theme. Good thing you aren't interested in clubbing. There are a few decent restaurants (Merlinos' Belvedere) but not much for a city its size.

    But really, it's a very livable city. Cheap. Warm in winter. Traffic is negligible compared to a city of similar size.

    Personally, I would choose CC over lots of other places in CO. It's probably not in my top 5, but I could live there.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    65
    And it has rafting. You know, for those days when its 110 out.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    363
    Yum...Merlinos!

    My parents took me there as a kid many times when I lived in the Springs.

    Just found this though...bad news

    67-year-old Italian restaurant closes its doors - Dec. 31, 2013
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

  6. #6
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Noooooooo!

    I will so miss the red naugahyde, soft lighting and Frank Sinatra.

    Goddamnit.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  7. #7
    Respect the mustache
    Reputation: DOUBLEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Noooooooo!

    I will so miss the red naugahyde, soft lighting and Frank Sinatra.

    Goddamnit.
    Ha Ha!
    I grew up in Canon and worked at Merlino's as a kid. Used those paychecks to buy a GT Zaskar.
    I'm back there every week now. The Oil Well Flats trails are a lot of fun and Section 13 is great. If you park at the 1st street bridge you can get a great climb/decent by linking up to trails behind the Eco park and Section 13, good for 1.5 hrs of riding.
    20 years ago my buds and I would ride to Cripple Creek and back via shelf road, super fast decent. Used to ride atv trails all over the place too, no real single track then. You would be surprised but back then CC had quite a bike scene. One friend was the Junior National Downhill Champ in 1993, he was sponsored by FUNK.

  8. #8
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,212
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLEJ View Post
    Ha Ha!
    I grew up in Canon and worked at Merlino's as a kid. Used those paychecks to buy a GT Zaskar.
    I'm back there every week now. The Oil Well Flats trails are a lot of fun and Section 13 is great. If you park at the 1st street bridge you can get a great climb/decent by linking up to trails behind the Eco park and Section 13, good for 1.5 hrs of riding.
    20 years ago my buds and I would ride to Cripple Creek and back via shelf road, super fast decent. Used to ride atv trails all over the place too, no real single track then. You would be surprised but back then CC had quite a bike scene. One friend was the Junior National Downhill Champ in 1993, he was sponsored by FUNK.
    I like Oil Well Flats, rode it around new years. I think I hiked Section 13 once with the ex-GF (her parents live in CC so we were there lots). Is 13 out south of town?

    Merlinos was cool because it was a family institution and they really cared. So un-corporate, so genuine. I'll miss it.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2
    Hi DrDon - Here's the skinny on Cañon:

    We (LAMBA) have been working hard these past several years to build some decent singletrack in and around town. There exists a ton of potential in our immediate area, and we currently have mtb-friendly BLM & City Parks people who are also excited by our motivation to build trails. Oil Well Flats is a nice system just north of town with more planned singletrack on its way. Section 13 is a short six miles - just south of town. Both are intermediate trails with great scenery... with a few more advanced moves mixed in.

    We're working on an easement for a singletrack connection from town up to an area called the Eco Park, and from the Eco Park on up to Section 13. Additionally, with the rebuild of the Royal Gorge Park (forest fire last summer), the City of Cañon City is enthusiastic to build trails on the city-owned parcel up there, and among other city "mountain" park properties. LAMBA has been a key player this winter in writing up a couple of grants for major trail improvements in the Hogbacks area, which is ride-able from downtown.... Do you see where I'm getting with this? We are so busy making things happen. There's a great core of young(er-ish) people who are excited to make this a great place to live and ride our bikes.

    Although Merlinos' has just closed, we still have quite a few locally-owned eateries: The Royal Gorge Brewing Company, 16th Street Café, DiRito's, French Bakery, Michael's on Main, and now our local bike shop is opening up a new coffee shop called The Bean Pedaler. Also, our 7+-mile Riverwalk is amazing and makes for a great cruiser ride. If you haven't been to Cañon lately, maybe it's time for another look-see.

    Kristyn

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    78
    Canon for biking is definitely a fine place to live. Section 13 and Oil Well Flats are both above average for local rides, and not crowded. A lot of trail growth as listed above. As far as everything else, the city is dead any time but summer. Not a lot of jobs, and not a lot to do other than outdoors stuff, which for some is enough. Shelf road is also a top notch climbing spot with an insane amount of sport and trad routes. During the summer its a lot of tourists and the people who work that industry. Do you already have a job opportunity there?

  11. #11
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,738

    Canon City

    A recruiter sent me a posting. I appreciate the input.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Respect the mustache
    Reputation: DOUBLEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I like Oil Well Flats, rode it around new years. I think I hiked Section 13 once with the ex-GF (her parents live in CC so we were there lots). Is 13 out south of town?

    Merlinos was cool because it was a family institution and they really cared. So un-corporate, so genuine. I'll miss it.
    Section 13 is south of town, just south of the junkyard and radio towers, super fun. Good climb up into the trees and a nice downhill ride.
    Merlino's showed me what hard work was and why I should go to college .

  13. #13
    Respect the mustache
    Reputation: DOUBLEJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    138
    Dr Don- I work at the hospital in CC and love the work I do, I'm a radiology tech. I believe we are doing great work there and getting better all the time. If your handle is DR Don betting that's your line of work.

  14. #14
    STRAVA!!!!!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristyn View Post
    Hi DrDon - Here's the skinny on Cañon:

    We (LAMBA) have been working hard these past several years to build some decent singletrack in and around town. There exists a ton of potential in our immediate area, and we currently have mtb-friendly BLM & City Parks people who are also excited by our motivation to build trails. Oil Well Flats is a nice system just north of town with more planned singletrack on its way. Section 13 is a short six miles - just south of town. Both are intermediate trails with great scenery... with a few more advanced moves mixed in.

    We're working on an easement for a singletrack connection from town up to an area called the Eco Park, and from the Eco Park on up to Section 13. Additionally, with the rebuild of the Royal Gorge Park (forest fire last summer), the City of Cañon City is enthusiastic to build trails on the city-owned parcel up there, and among other city "mountain" park properties. LAMBA has been a key player this winter in writing up a couple of grants for major trail improvements in the Hogbacks area, which is ride-able from downtown.... Do you see where I'm getting with this? We are so busy making things happen. There's a great core of young(er-ish) people who are excited to make this a great place to live and ride our bikes.

    Although Merlinos' has just closed, we still have quite a few locally-owned eateries: The Royal Gorge Brewing Company, 16th Street Café, DiRito's, French Bakery, Michael's on Main, and now our local bike shop is opening up a new coffee shop called The Bean Pedaler. Also, our 7+-mile Riverwalk is amazing and makes for a great cruiser ride. If you haven't been to Cañon lately, maybe it's time for another look-see.

    Kristyn
    Canyon City could be the next Fruita, keep up the good work and dont be afraid to ask Medicine Wheel for help.

Similar Threads

  1. WA for my old Canon a590
    By mack_turtle in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
  2. Testing out my Canon s90 (56k warning)
    By AC/BC in forum Photography for mountain bikers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 02:33 PM
  3. Canon city trails
    By bigbbs in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM
  4. IMBA TCC visits Cañon City
    By LowerArkMBA in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 10:38 AM
  5. Trail recommendations for Canon City/Shelf Road area
    By PuraVida in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 10:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •