mtbr member

Cannondale 1FG at Old Town Bike Shop, Colo Springs

There's a 'new' --but 2006 model -- Cannondale singlespeed at Old Town Bike Shop in Colo Springs. It's discounted pretty deep from the list price.

It is a made in the USA bike which is kind of cool.

Anyone have experience with this particular model and/or with a Headshock on any other Cannondale? Good/bad?

mtbr member
    Great shock, b*tch to maintain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead
    Great shock, b*tch to maintain.
    The shock? or other aspects of the bike? (I've heard the eccentric bottom bracket was kinda dicey on these)... I'm not into high maintenance.

mtbr member
    The headshock- I know little about the 1FG specifically, though I'd heard similar things about the EBB. Having said that, there are lots of tricks to get EBB's to sit solid.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E
    ... Anyone have experience with this particular model and/or with a Headshock on any other Cannondale? Good/bad?
    Normally I wouldn't slag any particular bike without more direct knowledge, and I'm sure there are some who'll take issue, but...

You don't see all that many Crack 'n Fails in Colorado. And I think there's a reason for that.

My LBS has worked on some of their proprietary stuff. Seems like it's always a learning experience. It's not that their stuff is bad, seems like they use some pretty high quality materials. It's just that it's proprietary. And frankly, kind of gimmicky. Why have a suspension fork with only one leg? Only valid reason I can think of is that you can take the tire off without taking the wheel off the bike.

The headshock? Kind of an interesting idea, but if it's better why isn't everyone using it?

If you get one of those, stay on good speaking terms with a mechanic at a shop that works on C'dales a lot.

My $.02

P.S. I wouldn't have one.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like Cannondale's rep ain't exactly stellar. I've owned lots of different bikes but never a Cannondale.

mtbr member
    everything was good w/ c-dale. then they made a dirt bike
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Set "your" price point at $1500. Don't just look for the cheapest bike on a LBS floor. And, for gawd's sake, don't limit yourself to a hardtail singlespeed search. You really don't know what you're missing not having ridden a modern dialed in FS bike.

We are talking about this time, aren't we?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Ha xcguy, yeah this is for me... but I don't know if I'm prepared right now to plop down the bucks for something super nice. I did enjoy the experience of riding that one Ellsworth FS bike. But to get a nice FS bike, it seems I'd have to plop down some pretty serious bucks. I think right now I might get a 'decent' hardtail and set it up for 1x9. I might be willing a year from now to spend more ($1500-$2k) for a really good bike but I think for the time being I'll probably try to stay in the $500-$700 range and just make the best of it for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E
    Ha xcguy, yeah this is for me... but I don't know if I'm prepared right now to plop down the bucks for something super nice. I did enjoy the experience of riding that one Ellsworth FS bike. But to get a nice FS bike, it seems I'd have to plop down some pretty serious bucks. I think right now I might get a 'decent' hardtail and set it up for 1x9. I might be willing a year from now to spend more ($1500-$2k) for a really good bike but I think for the time being I'll probably try to stay in the $500-$700 range and just make the best of it for now.
    Hey, what does it matter anyway, the world's gonna end today!

I've already said $1500 is the sweet spot. If that's "serious bucks" to you, well, you'll spend $700 now then $1500 later (maybe) so that sweet FS ride will cost you a de facto $2200 and you'll have two hardtails languishing in your garage.

I sold a dialed in 2007 Santa Cruz Superlight to a hardtail holdout such as yourself. Revelation U-Turn, PUSHed RP23, nice bike, for $1750 last year. The buyer had a littany of the usual FS myths he was laboring under but he was committed to finally taking the plunge and retiring his 10 year hardtail whatever it was.

I've never seen anyone so nervous. His hands were shaking as he counted out the bucks to me. He locked his keys in his truck, He was a mess. A week later he texted me at midnight on a Saturday night "man, you were right, this thing is great Why did I wait so long?"

And you'll never know what he or me is talking about if you never go FS, but like I say, it's your life. Ride on.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    You bring a compelling argument xcguy... I'll keep looking maybe I'll luck into something on the (relatively) cheap, a closeout or like new used. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    xcguy is spot on-- $1500 for a great used FS-- heck for $1000 you might even be able to find an older giant reign or something comparable. Either way, you want a newer FS. . . you just don't yet know how bad

get down!
    Canondales proprietary stuff is REALLY good stuff though and most of it has caught on with the rest of the biking world. Press fit bottom brackets, larger head tubes etc. So what they have been doing on the engineering/design front has been good for the cycling world and industry.

The 1FG is a good bike, it has a warranty and if it's a great price like it seems to be I wouldn't hesitate in picking it up.

I also second the buying used idea. More bang for the buck for sure.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    I am commuting a 1FG. Works well - as a commuter. My route to the office is a mix of bike path and some trail sections. The 1FG allowed me to commute all winter.

Well worth the money I spent finding the bolt needed to fix the bottom bracket (metric, size beyond ACE & HD stock) and the frustration when the bike shop D'Dale dealer had to ship the fork to C'Dale for reassembling after I tried to service it myself.

Yes, it is a hate & love relationship. But I seriously love it as my 'wild' commuter bike. Also rode a short track race with it.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Got single track/speed?
    Lots of opinions here. Since I own an F29 1FG, I can say that any negatives mentioned here are unfounded. Great solid bike. The Lefty is great and I ride this bike on most of the Front Range trails. The eccentric BB doesn't squeak, creak, or slip. Just don't over tighten it and do use anti-sieze compound or grease. Use a torque wrench or a really light touch. (I learned the hard way)

For all you non-Lefty believers. This fork is more rigid than any 32mm standard dropout fork out there. Its probably stiffer than a 32mm, tapered steerer, 15mm thru-axle fork. The Lefty is an upside-down, dual-crown, thru-axle fork with a huge head tube. And, it's stiction free.

Nothing has cracked and failed and the frame is a work of art made in the USA. A few years ago I tried to get this bike from Treads, they basically said go F yourself and pay full retail ($1,700). Went to ebay instead for $999 brand new. Get yourself a great deal on this bike and you won't be sorry.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    I agree with Chuckjoga. I own a 2008 29er 1FG. The bottom bracket is a pain to adjust if you overtighten it, but the Lefty is the best suspension on the market. It seems Coloradans (uninformed) like to badmouth the lefty without any reason other than ignorance. Because of my great experience with the 29er I bought a second Cannondale (Rise Carbon) and have had nothing but great rides with point and shoot accuarcy from the Lefty. There are aftermarket eccentric bottom brackets which have better reputations than the Cannondale design such as Carver and Bushnell which I plan to try, but the Cannondale unit does not slip or creek, it just does not move if overtightened! If the price is right, go for it. As for the Headshock versus Lefty, my riding experience is limited to the Lefty but the bearings are the same for either. The newer design Lefty allows for migration reset with relative ease, but the headshock is an involved process. The only problem with proprietary design is that there are no mechanics that are highly familiar with the product. But I have not met many "mechanics" that can service suspension forks by any manufacturer. I was sceptical as well before I bought my Cannondales, and I worked for shops that both sold and competed with Cannondale, and yes I used to say "Crack and Fail". But in my experience, with Specialized, Santa Cruz and countless other bikes I've owned over the years, my Cannondales are the best bikes I have ever owned, period.