mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Canadians travelling south through Front Ranges in April, top places to ride?

I'm overwhelmed the number of trail options in the Front Ranges, sounds like there are many good options, I would like some recommendations for places to ride that would be 'signature' or 'must ride' rides for the Front Ranges. We will be travelling down in the middle of April and have about 4 or 5 days to ride on our way to Sedona. I have the Mountain Bikers Guide to Colorado which has a ton of information but it is difficult to narrow it down to one or two rides in each area. I like techy riding, big climbs and views, my wife is a more intermediate level rider, and will have small kids along (but not riding). Any advice would be greatly appreciated to make use of the limited riding time we will have. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    To be perfectly honest I can't think any must do rides in Denver front range area. What is your route from Canada to Denver? That will determine what you should ride. I would definitely hit Grand Junction (Lunch Loops) Fruita and Moab and B-line it right through Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    I'm overwhelmed the number of trail options in the Front Ranges, sounds like there are many good options, I would like some recommendations for places to ride that would be 'signature' or 'must ride' rides for the Front Ranges. We will be travelling down in the middle of April and have about 4 or 5 days to ride on our way to Sedona. I have the Mountain Bikers Guide to Colorado which has a ton of information but it is difficult to narrow it down to one or two rides in each area. I like techy riding, big climbs and views, my wife is a more intermediate level rider, and will have small kids along (but not riding). Any advice would be greatly appreciated to make use of the limited riding time we will have. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Is your plan to make it down to the Springs... I prefer the riding here as opposed to Denver. Are you going to be in town during the week or the weekend... If you are here during the week, the Barr Trail is a lot of fun. How much Travel on your bikes... All day rides or 4 hour rides... How would you describe your riding style...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    We are planning to head down through Denver to Colorado Springs to Taos and Santa Fe and then over to Flagstaff and Sedona. I'm riding a Jet 9 RDO and I like techy climbing and descending, big climbs, big views, and like to ride 2-4 hrs for an average ride. Also, can anyone comment on the riding in Santa Fe and Taos, is it worth the trip, compared to say, Moab or Sedona? We rode Moab, Fruita and GJ last year, and loved riding Captain Ahab, the lunch loops, Mag 7 to the Portal.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    As an honorary Canadian (I worked in Calgary for almost 2 years, paid some Canadian taxes), I'll chime in...Great choice on the bike too, I have a JET9 RDO too. Absolutely love that bike.

Middle of April is going to mean that only the "lower" elevation stuff is going to be open, so you won't get to hit the high country stuff which is really where a lot of the must rides are near the front range. That being said, there are still some great trails around here that are a lot of fun.

Bobcat Ridge is one of my favorites. I think its the best open space downhill around.
    Info / location here: Bobcat Ridge: finder: City of Fort Collins

Hall Ranch near Lyons is pretty good for a techy climb and fun downhill. You can combine that with Picture Rock as one ride for a pretty good day on the bike.

Buffalo Creek is also a ton of fun and has lots and lots of trail options.

Around Golden the Chimney Gulch / Apex trail is fun, but the floods last fall wrecked Apex and it being open is still in question. The Western Slope stuff is lots of fun too, and probably better riding than the Front Range in mid-April.

Heard super good things about the South Boundary Trail near Taos but I've never ridden it. Sure Google has tons of info / ride reports on it though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

If I see you on the trails, I expect to hear "take off you hoser!" As you pass. That is all.

Candlestick Maker
    April has some seriously variable weather, even at lower elevations. With this year's snowpack, the high country will be out of the question. Assuming reasonable weather/conditions, here are some easy to navigate, fun options:

Monument - Limbaugh Canyon (good climbing, tech, and flow)
    Co Spgs - Falcon Trail on the Air Force Academy (a bit shorter than 2 hours, flowy, with a small amount of tech)
    Pueblo - Lake Pueblo State Park (lots of options from flowy to scary. warmer than most parts of the Front Range)

BTW, I'm married to a Canadian and I lived in Ontario for a few years and visited Calgary for business. Calgary reminded me of Denver, just a bit further from the mountains. I hope you enjoy your trip.
    baker

mtbr member
    Yep, the trails around Ft. Collins, the Springs, and Pueblo are your best bet. Buffalo Creek is the best for near Denver riding. The rest of the rides around Denver are pretty 'meh' in terms of length. Not that the trails aren't fun, but compared to high country trails, 'meh'.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I hope to be Canadian when I grow up.. I love BC for riding, but usually am mostly struck by how nice people are.

No new info for you except to tell you to post up when you are here, I am sure someone will show you around. Buff Creek is worth a day for sure. Can get a good mix of fast and flowy with a sprinkling of tech.. big climbs, good views and usually very quiet.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Paste eater
    Totally depends of what you are into I think. I think we can all agree that the signature Front range / Summit Colorado rides are in the high country. That being said, I love Dakota Ridge . it's not for everyone though. Drop a line when you are here, someone should be able to show you around to something you'd dig.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the replies. It definitely narrows it down to some more manageable options, we live around Calgary, so the riding does look similar from the trip reports and trail guides I have read. It looks like I'm going to have to plan to come back in the summer to really experience the high country rides, I've always wanted to ride Crested Butte and Salida anyway, so more options are better. I think we will try to spend some time around Col. Springs as that keeps being mentioned as well as Buffalo Creek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    -Hall Ranch is a great suggestion (Lyons, CO). Gorgeous and a multitude of different terrain.
    -I would consider the Hog Back (Dakota Ridge) as a must do if you like tech. (Matthews Winters/Dakota Ridge is the park name) It winds right through Red Rocks Amphitheatre area. Your wife and kids can hang out at Red Rocks while you ride. This ride would be a must do if it was in Fruita or GJ.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

So, long a** roadtrip or flying then driving? If roadtrip, keep tabs on Curt Gowdy State Park conditions and hit that on the way down from the north. It's just over the border in Wyoming but fits your criteria and would break up the drive a bit. Mid-April might be ambitious for it being open but it's worth checking on. Don't forget to grab a two four of Colorado's finest while you are here!