Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can we trash the "Trail Conditions" thread and start a new one?

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bikeandski 
#1 ·
It's Feb, most of the "trail conditions" listed are for Nov. I'm still trying to forget November. Can we start a new one?

Anybody ridden Dakota Ridge since the latest snow? I'd imagine Red Rocks still sucks. Hook me up people, I've got 20 more pounds to lose by Spring! Don't make me dust off my road bike.....

#4 ·
ibmkidIII said:
I'm for dropping the trail conditions sticky....I still like the members one up there, even if I never read it....

Someone needs to request a mod to drop it....
I had started building a database driven site that would allow people to login and update trail conditions, but the weather turned nice and I started riding and forgot about it.

I assume trail conditions are a bigger concern in the winter than summer right?

#5 ·
DWF said:
It's Feb, most of the "trail conditions" listed are for Nov. I'm still trying to forget November. Can we start a new one?

Anybody ridden Dakota Ridge since the latest snow? I'd imagine Red Rocks still sucks. Hook me up people, I've got 20 more pounds to lose by Spring! Don't make me dust off my road bike.....
GM is awfully muddy as of last night? I won't try again until sunday due to the amount of water/snow that is on the ground. Have fun on the road!

#6 ·
Jdub said:
I had started building a database driven site that would allow people to login and update trail conditions, but the weather turned nice and I started riding and forgot about it.

I assume trail conditions are a bigger concern in the winter than summer right?
What language and db environment are you developing it in? Perhaps I could pickup or help with development.

jason

#7 ·
jasonb said:
What language and db environment are you developing it in? Perhaps I could pickup or help with development.

jason
ASP (just plain ASP not the .net stuff yet) with just an Access DBase backend. I'd love to use SQL Server for the backend, but I don't have any webspace that has SQL Server capabilities.

#8 ·
Jdub said:
ASP (just plain ASP not the .net stuff yet) with just an Access DBase backend. I'd love to use SQL Server for the backend, but I don't have any webspace that has SQL Server capabilities.
Well I am pretty tied to open source products. I have access to several colo facilities, servers, and sql databases but they are all running on FreeBSD or Linux. If you wanted to build a quick PHP/SQL solution...

#9 ·
LOL I posted yesterday in the sticky thread, because someone asked specifically about trail conditions. I can tell you that Green Mountain is almost certainly going to be muddy today and probably tomorrow, except possibly the western fire road ascent (since it is mostly rock). There was still snow completely covering all of Zorro yesterday (faces east) and most of the single track trails on the west side of GM still had snow covering them as well (as of Thursday night). Probably going to be a sloppy mess for the next few days...just in time for the next storm. :(

I would be very suprised if DR was totally clear anytime soon, considering the tree cover...and the amount of snow still on all the hills in the area. Maybe someone will have an update today with some good news...

#11 ·
Looks like I'd be smokin a crack pipe expecting to ride singletrack tomorrow... From the night ride pictures (a few posts down) of Lyons area it looks like my "dark horse" Hall is probbably packed with snow. That would leave only the Backbone as a possibility but I'm guessing that's a mudfest too.

I guess I'll have to schedule a Moab trip in a week or so to gauge how the Chaparral climbs.

#12 ·
SiberianYETI said:
I can second this. My host allows unlimited MySQL databases and I would be happy to provide space if needed.
Hmmm.....I'm very well versed in SQL Server and I've never used MySQL, but I doubt it would too difficult to learn. I typically write ANSI SQL anyway, so it may work without needing to learn the new syntax.

Let me read up tonight and see if I can make this thing work with an ASP front end and MySQL backend. The big hold up thus far has been nowhere to put it except my old companies web server to which I still have access to.....

#13 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Someone needs a mod to drop it....
What, we need a mod? I'm up for the job. :)

I think we ought to hold elections to get a Front Range rider a mod instead of having an all powerful mod from another forum do it. :D

#14 ·
Jdub said:
Let me read up tonight and see if I can make this thing work with an ASP front end and MySQL backend. The big hold up thus far has been nowhere to put it except my old companies web server to which I still have access to.....
Unfortunately, I forgot to mention my host is Linux-based, so ASP won't work for my host.

It would be cool to have a very basic solution which had a list of local trails, and then allowed us (the riders) to log in (you wouldn't want some idiot going around closing all our trails!) and select the trail condition.

Dakota Ridge / Condition (closed - mud) / Notes by user as to why it was closed/open.

It would also be great to somehow create a calendar view for each trail, which shows the history of each trail and when it was closed/open over the years. As we gain enough data over a couple years, it would then be a great tool to see when all the local trails "normally" become rideable for the summer. That way when someone asks "is X trail normally open in May" you can look at the history of X trail and see that over the past couple years, that trail still has snow on it in May. Or, you could use it to see when the ski resorts normally start having their bike trails open regularly.

Just some wishful thinking perhaps, but thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

#15 ·
I just checked a picture I took while riding by the very southern entrance of Dakota Ridge yesterday. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I remember it...and there seems to be very little snow on the western side. I still think the shaded areas are going to have some snow, but there could be large portions of the trail that are rideable this weekend. I'm no expert on how Dakota Ridge melts...so perhaps others will have more encouraging news.

By comparison, here is the east side of DR. :)

#16 ·
dunno...usually green frees up first on the southerly side....I haven't been down to look, but my gut feeling is dakota will be way to sloppy to be appropriate to ride this weekend...if you're gonna ride it, do it early before the snow melts. I'll be riding tomorow, but it'll be at about 7:30...

#18 ·
Probably most of the south facing trails on green will be good. I'm thinking Dakota will be "ridable" but still muddy/icy in spots this Friday. I'd avoid redrocks/matthew winters still, unless you ride early when the trail is still frozen. I may try to night ride green tomorrow depending on how much time I have left after the meeting...if I do, I'll know more then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.