Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flash278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73

    Can this be fixed? Broken Hanger

    Our ride took us up to a high point with this view....
    Attachment 554230

    and found this....
    Attachment 554231

    and this....
    Attachment 554232


    However, I went to downshift and ended up with a broken derailleur hanger.
    The bike is a steel (True Temper OX Platinum) Salsa El Mariachi.

    Can the hanger be welded back on at this location since it took part of the drop out?
    If so, can you recommend anyone in Colorado Springs or South Denver?

    Attachment 554227

    Attachment 554228

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaba Klaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,673
    That's why replaceable hangers have been invented. Time for a new frame I am afraid...

    Best bet to confirm this: Call a local frame builder (blacksheepbikes, meetsaucecycles, yipsanbicycles) or shoot DWF a private message.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    130
    Did someone say windchime?

  4. #4
    ONE WORD: GRAVITY
    Reputation: nhltfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    222
    yeah man thats really unfortunate. if you want to really keep the frame contact a local framebuilder. Klaus named a few good ones!

    if not I would recommend a new frame....

    Like this one .....

    [IMG]http://www.****************/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/salsa-cycles-el-mariachi-titanium-2010-29er-mountain-bike.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flash278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    That's why replaceable hangers have been invented. Time for a new frame I am afraid...

    Best bet to confirm this: Call a local frame builder (blacksheepbikes, meetsaucecycles, yipsanbicycles) or shoot DWF a private message.
    Thanks for the ideas Kaba


    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney
    Did someone say windchime?
    That would be a cool windchime with the main triangle tubes...albiet more than I would ever want to invest in a windchime.


    Quote Originally Posted by nhltfour
    yeah man thats really unfortunate. if you want to really keep the frame contact a local framebuilder. Klaus named a few good ones!

    if not I would recommend a new frame....

    Like this one .....

    [IMG]http://www.****************/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/salsa-cycles-el-mariachi-titanium-2010-29er-mountain-bike.jpg[/IMG]
    That already crossed my mind! I am checking with Salsa to see if this falls within their crash replacement policy...and if there are any Ti El Mar's available.

  6. #6
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,573
    It's a steel bike so you probably could have a new dropout welded on. A guy I used to ride with did that to convert an old Barracuda into a singlespeed with horizontal dropouts (Paul, if you're lurking who did your welding?). Although, he had to have it re-painted after that so it wasn't totally a low cost repair.

    That being said, even the new steel El Marichi's are pretty darned sweet (and the Ti is toothache sweet)--a crash replacement is probably the best way to go if they are willing and you have the required $$ laying around.

  7. #7
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Ouch. Replaceable hangers are the rage now-a-days.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  8. #8
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,120
    Possibly. It's hard to tell from the photo angle.
    It looks like a brazed dropout, not welded, with plugs that insert into the tubes. .

    A framebuilder can heat it up and pop the old one out. Then put a new one in.
    Probably cost you $100~150.

    Call Eric Baar. Groundupcycles.
    http://groundupdesigns.com/

    A+ welder.
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 06-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wankel7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    319
    Take it to a welding shop. I doubt that would be much trouble.

  10. #10
    Goofing off?
    Reputation: Intenserider2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Just use some old chewing gum and duct tape. Be back on the saddle in 10 minutes.

  11. #11
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    have you thought of just converting it to a singlespeed at this point?
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flash278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    Possibly. It's hard to tell from the photo angle.
    It looks like a brazed dropout, not welded, with plugs that insert into the tubes. .

    A framebuilder can heat it up and pop the old one out. Then put a new one in.
    Probably cost you $100~150.

    Call Eric Baar. Groundupcycles.
    http://groundupdesigns.com/

    A+ welder.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I gave Eric a call and will be taking it over there tomorrow.


    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    have you thought of just converting it to a singlespeed at this point?
    I go back and forth between gears and SS already. Unfortunately too much of the drop out is missing to have peace of mind while SS'n

  13. #13
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Where's MacGruber when you need him?
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flash278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    73

    Back Up and Running

    Thanks again for the suggestion UT. Eric was able to weld the old hanger back on and had me in and out of his shop in about 20 minutes.

    The new battle scar....
    Attachment 554902

    Attachment 554903

    On a side note, I was able to get out this evening on Limbaugh Canyon and the dirt was magical.

  15. #15
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,120
    Sweet! NP!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •