The Notorious S.L.O

can cold damage your shocks?

is there a temp that you shouldn't ride in for possible damage to the oil/air shocks, forks or rears?
    Don't think I breached any thresholds yet
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Rolling
    Funny you ask, back in the day when I had a Cane Creek AD12, I found it leaked when it was cold. Probably due to less compliant and shrunken o-rings--the challenger effect.

And I remember the days of the Manitou 3 when the elastomers would turn into rock hard non-dampers.

Not sure how much the viscosity of damper oil increases though. I don't think it's significant.

This seems like a question who a person from Kodiak, AK would have a clear answer too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've ridden down to about 15 F without much issue...only thing I noticed is I needed higher pressure on my Fox Talas.

I haven't run the formula, but I wouldn't think air volume/density would change that much, so not quite sure why I had to add air.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Last year I rode the 575 all winter - worst day was -17 with windchill... no adverse issues or leaking oil. I will probably ride the rigid 29er more over the winter this year, since I find crappy conditions seem to require less maintenance on the singlespeed. I'll bet Mike Curiak would have some information for you since he does a 3week ride during the Winter in Alaska each year - though I believe he carries fuel in his fork, so I think he's running rigid. Anyway, I'll bet he knows the answer to your question... He can be found on the Western Slope forum and the 29er forum or at http://lacemine29.blogspot.com ...

mtbr member
    Density is greatly affected by air temperature, one reason that you should add air to your car tires when it gets colder and check your pressures when it gets warmer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density...of_temperature