Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Camping .....near a lake w/fishing...close to the bike parks? Any suggestions?

Looking for some good camping suggestions/advice...Heading to Trestle/Keystone in July.

We are interested in camping, doing some fishing on our down time while we rest between parks and we are looking for the best place to camp. I figured I might as well ask to see what you guys have done in the past.

I'm not sure if it is available but I am envisioning, Camping near a river or lake, cooking some freshly caught fish over a fire pit, and possibly even heading out on an evening xc ride or something along those lines...

Does anyone have any suggestion that may have those things we are looking for.

We will need a place a car can access also, no 4wd on this trip.

I'd appreciate any helping finding a camping spot. We're open to hammock camping also so if it has good trees and not so much the flattest spots to throw down a tent then that is fine also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    dillon reservoir has campground camping, off swam mountain road.

contains quinine
    There's a couple campgrounds north of Dillon on highway 9. Also, some primitive spots up montezuma road.,
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    good sites and trails at Turquoise Lake in Leadville too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leadvegas View Post
    good sites and trails at Turquoise Lake in Leadville too.
    I agree!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Catch and Release!!!!

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum View Post
    dillon reservoir has campground camping, off swam mountain road.
    If you don't already have a reservation, good luck... Plus there isn't actually access to the Resivoir from the campground--it's an off trail free-hike down.

What about Steamboat Lake and riding Steamboat? I haven't been to the lake in years, and I've nervier ridden the Boat, but it sounds like they have don a bunch of trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Huh? It's only catch and release??

Thanks everyone I will check into those areas suggested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Also does not have to be an actual lake, river/streams etc would be great too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I see "Fraser River" on the map which is closer to the park. Anyone fish in it? The lake is about an hour drive to Trestle so i'd like something closer of possible. I wonder if you can camp near this river?

Primitive camping is just fine also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Fraser is fly and lure only. Try St Louis Creek, no shade, next to creek, trails with loops leaving the campground.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Maestro View Post
    Fraser is fly and lure only. Try St Louis Creek, no shade, next to creek, trails with loops leaving the campground.
    Listen to this guy! He spends a lot of time up there.

mtbr member

Re: Camping .....near a lake w/fishing...close to the bike parks? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    If you don't already have a reservation, good luck... Plus there isn't actually access to the Resivoir from the campground--it's an off trail free-hike down.

What about Steamboat Lake and riding Steamboat? I haven't been to the lake in years, and I've nervier ridden the Boat, but it sounds like they have don a bunch of trails.
    Steamboat Lake is 40mins away from the resort, but only 10mins from Seedhouse Rd trails by Clark, CO. If you go up to the lake, play on the N Routt trails. If you're near town, then all sorts of options are open w/o driving.

Edit: oh yeah, and the place has a ridonkulous amounts of snow this season. I don't see their high country ride being accessible until late June...either that or the valley will be under water from a rapid melt.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    There's a couple campgrounds north of Dillon on highway 9. Also, some primitive spots up montezuma road.,
    I wouldn't eat any fish out of the Snake below 'Zuma. It's heavily polluted with mine run off.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's if there's any water in it after all the diversions.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post

Not that I'm real familiar with the layout of all the campgrounds around Dillon, but access to the reservoir is pretty easy from all of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rmalling View Post
    Catch and Release!!!!
    +1 Please practice catch and release, especially if you fish the Fraser.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks, checking into it now. This might be our best bet, I guess it all depends on what is available when we arrive. Thanks for the help, I welcome any other suggestions, we may head up to Estes for a day or so when we rest between parks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan12210 View Post
    +1 Please practice catch and release, especially if you fish the Fraser.
    Probably will not be fly fishing, I might get a pole and attempt it one day but it depends if I can borrow a rod from a friend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There is camping along the Blue River north of Silverthorne, mostly primitive but right next to the hwy with bathrooms. Great river to fish and swim in. 30 min from Keystone and probably an hour from WP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    There is camping along the Blue River north of Silverthorne, mostly primitive but right next to the hwy with bathrooms. Great river to fish and swim in. 30 min from Keystone and probably an hour from WP.
    Thanks, i will look into this camping spot also. Great info everyone, you all have been a huge help. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012

Pumphouse near Kremmling

Pumphouse campground off the Colorado River on Trough Road up by Kremmling is a good spot for fishing and swimming. It's not primitive but there are spots close by that are. It's roughly an hour from Winter Park and an hour from Keystone if you were wanting to have a home base for both parks.

Edit: And about an hour to Steamboat.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Sylvan lake state park near eagle. Our favorite place in CO so far

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    OK, bringing this back alive. We are definitely camping and I now have a Fly Rod and have been practicing fishing with it and I love it. So maybe the Fraser is a good spot to camp next to?
    I read that there are good spots up by "Vasquez Road" with primitive and free camp sites near the river? Would you all suggest this as a good spot?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Vasquez road is awesome and has a lot of great sites. Idlewild is almost across from the resort and is a campground with vault toilets. It is first come first serve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast