mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Camping near CB??

I'll be in the CB/Gunni area in a couple of weeks, planning to ride anything open. I'm planning to camp, but not sure where. Any recommendations on camping (or riding for that matter) from anyone who's done the same in the past. I know this is the FR forum, but I'm sure a lot of you have made the drive over and might have some info. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I usually camp out past Gothic the first night. There are some free dispersed camping out there and it's close to 401, which I assume you will be riding If your looking for more amenities (electric, bathrooms, etc.), Lake Irwin campground is nice and scenic and near the Dyke trail. There is also a NF campground up Cement Creek road which is near many rides, Reno devide, etc. I usually sleep in the back of my truck so I stay in a different spot each night depending on what I'm riding in the morning and take off from there. As for Gunni, Im really not sure on the camping end. I did stay at a KOA there once and it was, you know, a KOA.

The Notorious S.L.O

I typically go for the free NF land.

of course, that comes with zero ammenities. I stay up Slate River Road, there is a pretty nice spot along the river 3~4 miles. There are usually a couple of people always camping there.
    Slate River Road is on your left off Gothic road, across from the cemetary.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    I have always enjoyed the cement creek or Gothic areas.

Check with the local bike shops before heading out as it is still early for CB and I am sure many of the trails are still closed and covered with snow up high.

mtbr member
    Yes, check with the bikes shops for trail conditions. I've been checking this site as Im itching to get out that way. Not sure how acurate it is... http://www.cbmba.org/page.cfm?pageid=10267

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I second National Forrest, past Slate River Dr (keep going past the airport). You should probably have AWD, as the road gets a little hairy, but it is very pretty, it is free, and you can ride a lot of great trails right from this area!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the info. I will check into the Gothic area. Sounds like potential for good NF camping. I'm good with that. It's definitely a little early, but it looks like some of the lower stuff should be open, and maybe some of the higher rides by the end. I've still got a couple weeks before I head over.