Let's Ride!

... and if we just ... Camping at Fruita ~~~~~

I'm wanting to go the Fruita Fat Tire Festival with a couple of friends. Never been before and we each have our own 1 man tents. We've called and it looks like all the camping spots are already reserved. Are there more camping spots that are close that may not need reservations? Are there usually enough spaces for everyone that shows up on Friday afternoon? Any responses with helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

James

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by JRob
    I'm wanting to go the Fruita Fat Tire Festival with a couple of friends. Never been before and we each have our own 1 man tents. We've called and it looks like all the camping spots are already reserved. Are there more camping spots that are close that may not need reservations? Are there usually enough spaces for everyone that shows up on Friday afternoon? Any responses with helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

James
    I gave up on the camping concept there because by the time we figured out we were going, every camp site was taken, but we found a Motel 6 in Grand Junction. And I had previously had three rooms reserved (for 04/28-29/06) at the GJ Holiday Inn, two king bed at $63 and one king bed suite with pull-out bed at $95, both with the FFTF discount... which I am now canceling, so if you called the GJ Holiday Inn recently and they were booked, these three rooms will be available today, go get them. Their number is 970-243-6790.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    They've recently redone the sites on 18 Road. They've closed a bunch of sites that were on the East side and established sites on the West. The established sites are VERY small and generally it appears that you have to share the majority with others (ie. 3 tables and fire rings in close proximity). We were out there two weeks ago and talked to Gordon from BLM who was in the process of overseeing the gravel that they put into the parking areas, very cool guy. He was psyched about "upgrading" the sites, I didn't have the heart to tell him how cramped they were (also he was raving about how respectible bikers were and we were eating it up). Gordons' a good man if you should run into him. Having camped there for a while I completely understand the need for established sites and restrooms, hellfire you'd look into that drainage to the West and see more toilet paper and sh!t than native plants. At any rate we arrived around 10 p.m. on a Tuesday night and had trouble finding a site, granted they had some areas roped off so they could lay gravel early in the a.m. but it was still crowded. My point, camping will probably be a zoo by Friday, especially in the afternoon.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    The only other place I know that has first come first serve camp sites is the colorado national monument. 80 sites, all first come. Worth a shot, but if you are not there Thur or early Fri you may be SOL.

Let's Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    They've recently redone the sites on 18 Road. They've closed a bunch of sites that were on the East side and established sites on the West. The established sites are VERY small and generally it appears that you have to share the majority with others (ie. 3 tables and fire rings in close proximity). We were out there two weeks ago and talked to Gordon from BLM who was in the process of overseeing the gravel that they put into the parking areas, very cool guy. He was psyched about "upgrading" the sites, I didn't have the heart to tell him how cramped they were (also he was raving about how respectible bikers were and we were eating it up). Gordons' a good man if you should run into him. Having camped there for a while I completely understand the need for established sites and restrooms, hellfire you'd look into that drainage to the West and see more toilet paper and sh!t than native plants. At any rate we arrived around 10 p.m. on a Tuesday night and had trouble finding a site, granted they had some areas roped off so they could lay gravel early in the a.m. but it was still crowded. My point, camping will probably be a zoo by Friday, especially in the afternoon.

So in other words, lol, it's gonna be cramped as H E double hockey stick. So i'll pose one more question to you: If 3 or 4 of us get down there on Friday around noon with our 1 man tents, we could find a place to pitch them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ya know I hesitate to post this but........that dude Gordon, the BLM guy, said that (this was my wife and my understanding) all that land is BLM and essentially you can camp anywhere. Now I'm not sure how that would fly with the locals, I've heard stories of them getting riled for camping "off site". All that soil out there is pretty delicate and I can understand their concern, when Gordon mentioned this it definately got our attention and when we asked further questions he kind of hemmed and hawed. Maybe you could post over on the Western Slope forum and see what they say. I personally wouldn't camp anywhere other than the specific sites they've set up. I haven't been to the fest in a few years (too much of a zoo for my liking) so I don't know what kind of scene it is anymore....
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRob
    So in other words, lol, it's gonna be cramped as H E double hockey stick. So i'll pose one more question to you: If 3 or 4 of us get down there on Friday around noon with our 1 man tents, we could find a place to pitch them?

Ask around at the bike shop. I am sure some locals would let you camp on their lawn.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Ya know I hesitate to post this but........that dude Gordon, the BLM guy, said that (this was my wife and my understanding) all that land is BLM and essentially you can camp anywhere. Now I'm not sure how that would fly with the locals, I've heard stories of them getting riled for camping "off site". All that soil out there is pretty delicate and I can understand their concern, when Gordon mentioned this it definately got our attention and when we asked further questions he kind of hemmed and hawed. Maybe you could post over on the Western Slope forum and see what they say. I personally wouldn't camp anywhere other than the specific sites they've set up. I haven't been to the fest in a few years (too much of a zoo for my liking) so I don't know what kind of scene it is anymore....
    I've seen people camping (tents and RVs) before off that dirt road between Zippity-do-da and The Edge fire road, might be worth asking about that and different areas nearby.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rabbit Valley is probably your best bet. It is right off the highway just before the state line.