Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camping in CO

mtbr member

Camping in CO

Hi, all! My wife, 2-year old and I are heading west to Colorado in May for a couple week road trip (around May 7). We really don't know what we're going to do the whole trip, but for sure are interested in camping (just car camping as not interesting in hiking to sites with a toddler yet).

Any good campgrounds within an hour and a half of the denver area? We're pretty flexible of where we can go since we don't have any other plans right now.

It would be great if there are some trails somewhat near by where I can sneak off and do some rides.

We looked into Rocky Mountain National Park a bit and see how they have Morraine Park Campground and Longs Peak.

How is riding and camping in May? Crapshoot since there might be rain and poor trail conditions?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks, guys!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

<100%
    In mid to late May, The Great Sand Dunes. Nice camp sites, possibility of nice warm weather, the creek is flowing (it's essentially a beach without the deep water) - lot's of fun, esp for the kids. 3 1/2 hours from Denver but worth the trip.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    That's awfully early in May to be planning any trail activities biking, hiking whatever in the Mountains. We've been fairly snow free this winter on the Front Range, but the West Slope is getting buried under well above normal amounts of snow. And, we haven't even gotten into our snowiest months yet.

There are a lot of guys here that are into backcountry skiing that were still carving turns well into June last year.

You might try around Buffalo Creek though. Much lower, good riding/ hiking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    +1 Buffalo Creek. there are campsites (car camping basically) and the trails are right there where you camp.... assuming its dry which is a good possibility but never definite with late season weather in CO. i usually camp/ride there a few times during the summer cool area/trails

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    As OBD said, May is going to be pretty darn early for the mountains. Golden Gate Canyon SP is a bit "drier" than up high... May might be good. Elevenmile Canyon is also a really nice place - May could be good there.

Oh - and Sand Dunes is *definitely* a good place... especially for kids. Just killer camping and playing down there.

Here are some pics from May a few years back in RMNP just above Bear Lake:

mtbr member
    I have to warn you about the Sand Dunes though - it blows. As in, if you encounter wind down there it is not fun. I don't know that it is within 1 1/2 hours of Denver either, but it is better early season camping, though check the overnight lows for Alamosa. Being a mtn valley, it is one of the coldest spots in the state during the Winter. Maybe by early May it is desert warmth?

Golden Gate Canyon SP and Buff Creek are good suggestions for hiking/biking/fishing. Golden Gate is not too far outside Golden.

A good spot to camp, and have access to family activities, would be just Northwest of Colorado Springs. I forget the name, but if you go through Wildernet you could find it. IM if you need help. There is a long paved bike path in the valley, which does also lead to singletrack, some activities up by the resorvoir, and could easily daytrip to Cheyenne Mtn Zoo for the kiddos, or the Pike's Peak Cog Rail in Manitou Spgs.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    May in Colorado... could be the best camping trip your wife and toddler ever go on or the last.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Eric Z-

What type of car camping are we talking about?

Well established campgrounds with facilities closer to Denver:

Lake Dillon- Facilities, campsites, close to shopping et al. Close to Breckenridge, Keystone, Frisco
    Buffalo Creek- Few facilities, campsites, closer but not too close.
    RMNP- a good sampling of the Rockies, relatively close to Denver.

For shear beauty of Colorado, nothing beats the Sangre De Cristos and San Juan Mountains but they are not 1 1/2 hours from Denver and most campsites require a 4 wheel drive and or some hiking. The Sand Dunes National Monument is West of the Sangre De Cristo mountains and definately worth a look as others have posted.

Higher elevations will still have snow and some campsites don't open until Memorial Day and require reserving sites

Have you been camping in Colorado before?
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Bad Andy
    It really depends on exactly what you're looking for, but another option would be Bear Creek Lake Park. It's basically right in a western suburb of Denver. The nights won't be too cold, and there won't be any snow (probably). There are family trails right there (bike path and off road), amongst many other things, and good front range trails for you to sneak off to within a few minute drive - (Mt Falcon, Lair o' the Bear, others). You are still very close to city stuff too, and can easily get to the mtns for day trips.

mtbr member
    this is great info. thanks, all! i'll try to answer questions and ask some more here:

i have not been camping in colorado before (only skiing at the various resorts)- only camping around the midwest (il and wi). i understand the volatility of the weather and how it may not be the ideal (or even decent) conditions. i guess i didn't know until you guys mentioned it.

the type of car camping i'm looking into is driving the car to the site, setting up camp, and then doing some basic hiking and biking. nothing extreme at all. would of course be nice to have some scenery to enjoy as well.

the reason i am choosing co for our trip at this time is because of the availabilty of my wife's time off from school and i'm up for a nice change of our shorter road trips in the midwest.

i'm okay with colder weather overnight as we'll be prepared for that, but i see what you mean about trails not being in a suitable condition. it would be nice to have paved trails around as we will also pull my son in a trailer.

our trip will consist of camping probably 2 to 3 or maybe 4 nights (depending on conditions)- the rest will be in hotels whereever we decide to go in the area. we don't need to stay near denver; however, that's just a reference point for me.

also, thanks for the pics, ss- I guess that puts things into perspective about the weather in may

we do have a lot of flexibility of where we go since we really don't have any plans so i'm open to anything. ideally, we would go over the summer and we're still checking if that's possible; however, may is a guarantee when we can get out there.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    May in Colorado... could be the best camping trip your wife and toddler ever go on or the last.
    well put i better be careful.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    [QUOTE=Eric Z]this is great info. thanks, all! i'll try to answer questions and ask some more here:

i have not been camping in colorado before (only skiing at the various resorts)- only camping around the midwest (il and wi). i understand the volatility of the weather and how it may not be the ideal (or even decent) conditions. i guess i didn't know until you guys mentioned it.

the type of car camping i'm looking into is driving the car to the site, setting up camp, and then doing some basic hiking and biking. nothing extreme at all. would of course be nice to have some scenery to enjoy as well.

You may want to look at Lake Dillon as your base of operations. I don't recall when they are open, but it will fit your style of car camping and you have trees, water and your in the heart of the mountains. Your wife may also like the fact that there are resteraunts/shopping close by.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    I have to warn you about the Sand Dunes though - it blows. As in, if you encounter wind down there it is not fun. I don't know that it is within 1 1/2 hours of Denver either, but it is better early season camping, though check the overnight lows for Alamosa. Being a mtn valley, it is one of the coldest spots in the state during the Winter. Maybe by early May it is desert warmth?
    I'd imagine early May would be kind of dicey in the Dunes. We went at the end of May/early June and had a couple REALLY windy days, a cold day, and some nice days... crapshoot pretty much like anywhere above 6K feet around here.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    It really depends on exactly what you're looking for, but another option would be Bear Creek Lake Park. It's basically right in a western suburb of Denver. The nights won't be too cold, and there won't be any snow (probably). There are family trails right there (bike path and off road), amongst many other things, and good front range trails for you to sneak off to within a few minute drive - (Mt Falcon, Lair o' the Bear, others). You are still very close to city stuff too, and can easily get to the mtns for day trips.
    Very good point. Chatfield State Park would also be one of these "suburban" options. There's some singletrack, paved path, river, lake, and Waterton Canyon close by.

Half-Man, Half-Ounce
    May 2008
    Not sure I'd recommend Summit County/Lake Dillion for camping in May.
    I don't think much is open then anyway

plus

We get our last snow of the year typically around Mother's Day.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    You may want to look at Lake Dillon as your base of operations. I don't recall when they are open, but it will fit your style of car camping and you have trees
    There may not be any LIVE trees left there by this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ...Also think western slope options - Glenwood Springs/Carbondale (3 hrs west of Denver), or Grand Junction/Fruita (4 hours). Or, the Salida area is 2.5 hours south and is sort of a "banana belt" surrounded by mountains.

All of the above offer a variety of fun experiences and great scenery.

Lower elevation is a must that time of year for camping. Higher up it's called "mud season."
    Last edited by Scrambler; 02-20-2009 at 11:48 AM.

mtbr member
    i'll be doing some research on some of the places you guys mention. we're pretty experienced campers, but there's always the challenge with a 2-year old and weather issues.

obviously, a big part is what sites are open that early in may- by checking some websites, some open 5/1, but i'm sure that's tentative with weather.

i think i'll be looking into these:
    -buffalo creek
    -lake dillon
    -big bear
    -chatfield
    -golden gate canyon

i am partial to state/national parks versus private campgrounds.

thanks for your help, everyone!

i guess i will need to be flexible and set those expectations with my wife since it might be great in may, but also can be bad.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    There may not be any LIVE trees left there by this summer.
    why is that?
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Trips for Kids Denver
    Mueller State Park is pretty neat. Just West of Colorado Springs. Lot's of trees, views and trails. Cabin options too. Might take the weather out of the equation a little.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Another possibility might be near Red Feather Lakes, I'm not sure how early Dowdy Lake opens, it might be open year round. There are several small campgrounds in the Poudre Canyon with almost instant trail access, but I'd be too scared to take a 2 yr old there if yours is anything like my 2 yr old grandson.

There is camping around Horsetooth Res., just west of Ft. Collins, but it's Urban camping at best as they cater to the Winnebago crowd more than tent campers.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    why is that?
    Bark beetle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Bark beetle.
    holy crap. that blows!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    Another possibility might be near Red Feather Lakes, I'm not sure how early Dowdy Lake opens, it might be open year round. There are several small campgrounds in the Poudre Canyon with almost instant trail access, but I'd be too scared to take a 2 yr old there if yours is anything like my 2 yr old grandson.

There is camping around Horsetooth Res., just west of Ft. Collins, but it's Urban camping at best as they cater to the Winnebago crowd more than tent campers.
    yeah, my 2-year old is pretty active- actually, very active. half the battle is getting him away from the campfire and staying away from poison ivy/oak, etc. it's still tons of fun though.

i'm not too much of a fan of the urban camping scene, but understand there's a middle ground too. ideally, down the road as my son gets older, we will be able to really see and enjoy colorado!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Goofing off?
    Try West Magnolia. It is a mile or two out of Nederland and 30 minutes west of Boulder. Car camping with biking/ walking trails next to the sites. I have taken my to kids there.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_5844crx.aspx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast