Who is John Galt?

Camping at Buffalo Creek?

Heading your way from Missouri this week, want to ride Buffalo Creek. I'm wondering if I can camp there? If so, which TH should I head to? I like to hammock camp so a couple trees would be nice! Thanks
    What, me hurry?

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Camping at Buffalo Creek?

Little Scraggy TH & the road in from there will provide campsites. 1st come 1st served.
    The BC campground is further in on the same road.(sorry, forget the rd #)

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005
    Tons of free dispersed camp sites, a couple pay campgrounds with facilities. Good times.

Who is John Galt?
    Thanks guys, I'll feed the bears for ya
    What, me hurry?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Plenty of trees for the hammock. FYI, those free sites will fill up on a Friday. If you're coming midweek, you will have no problem, but if you expect to roll in Friday at 6pm, different story.

Maps here. the road is the 550. Buffalo CG (with water and shitters) is 5 miles down the road, the designated free spots are marked all along the road to the CG.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Where can you camp dispersed?

mtbr member
    isnt there free camping anywhere along CT?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dubstings View Post
    Where can you camp dispersed?
    If you mean in a non-designated site, I don't know where those are close to Buff Creek. If you just mean free, first come first served, see my above post, lots and lots of options, you just have to choose one of the designated options.

As for brunkalo's post, that may be correct, if you're willing to pack in, anywhere on the trail is probably good (but I bet there are regs re how close to trailheads and such, I can't imagine you can park at Little Scraggy and walk 10 yards in, for ex).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm just wondering if you 'car camp' in the area but not the in designated 'camp sites.' unquote.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    On the 550 Rd, I don't believe car camping outside of the designated sites is permitted. Perhaps there is such camping somewhere else near Buff Creek, I dunno.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The sites off 550 aren't designated sites like you are thinking - they are unimproved camping site, but it's not a free for all along the road. If these are taken there is a lot of FS land around where you can camp for free.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Too many a-holes have parked/camped where ever they felt like along 550 for years resulting in the forest service designating certain car pulloffs for camping. Where you set up your tent from there is up to you, but it's pretty obvious where you should do it. Yes, you could most likely hike anywhere from your car and set up and be left alone, but please don't as this area gets a lot of pressure year round from campers, hikers, gun nuts (you'll find shells everywhere) and needs to not get destroyed and piss off the forest service and Douglass county.

Check for fire bans: last I heard they were lifted there, but that part of the state could, and has, gone up in flames from camp fires.

If you shoot guns, don't shoot into the herd of buffalo some a-hole from Texas was hearding on national forest land up near the lost creek wilderness border a few years ago. Guy walked right into our shooting area (we were clay shooting: yes, picked up shells and clays) and in his Texas draw told us we "were scaring the dickens out of them buffalo down there." Here's an idea: get them off the f-ing national forest and into a ranch far away from where this sh*t goes down. We turned around and shot the other way, whatever.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    "Dispersed camping" means free camping in unimproved sites with no improvements like toilets, fire grates, picnic tables, etc. Dispersed campsite can be only in designated sites, especially in heavily used areas like BC. Usually there will some kind of post with the tent icon telling you where it's OK to camp which is the case in the BC area.

If you're into shooting I'd leave the guns at home. BC is not a good place to yahoo around with guns regardless of how safe you think you're being or how well you clean up your mess. Way too many people around. At the worst you can shoot someone, at best the constant blasting away is annoying and unnerving to most people in the vicinity.