mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Camping and Biking just N of Denver...

Hey all,

Comin from eastern SD for an extended camping/biking trip. I need recommendations on state parks to camp in that have decent (or sweet singletrack) and nice sites.

Appreciate the assistance...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Golden Gate Canyon State Park just West of Golden might be what your looking for. More west than north, but its north. Has plenty of camping and riding within the park and nearby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Curt Gowdy......what, its NORTH of Denver.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

You don't have to stay at a State Park

You don't have to stay at a State Park !

There's so many campgrounds/ parks, either city, county, State or Federal in CO, it would be easier to list your driving range and what you absolutely need for your camping.

You could camp at one of the FS campgrounds near Jefferson Lk, west of Denver and ride one of the premier ST trails in the State in either direction from your camp site.

If you're comfortable with it, there's a few dozen more suggestions for "dispersed" camping up in the mountains "near" Denver that would be free, next to incredible riding, but lack amenities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out Camp Dick in the Peaceful Valley area along the Peak to Peak highway (State hwy 72) west of Boulder. There are two USFS campgrounds there that are really nice. Some really nice riding there too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    You don't have to stay at a State Park !

There's so many campgrounds/ parks, either city, county, State or Federal in CO, it would be easier to list your driving range and what you absolutely need for your camping.

You could camp at one of the FS campgrounds near Jefferson Lk, west of Denver and ride one of the premier ST trails in the State in either direction from your camp site.

If you're comfortable with it, there's a few dozen more suggestions for "dispersed" camping up in the mountains "near" Denver that would be free, next to incredible riding, but lack amenities.
    are there any specifc camp grounds (local, private not fed) that have peoples' blessings and recommendations?

research, research, and more research i know, yet i value other's personal experiences and knowledge...

as for proximity to denver - within twenty miles i suppose...

..ouch
    West Magnolia near Nederland. 20 miles from Boulder, high country (cooler weather), USFS (free, no reservations needed), easily accessible and surrounded by many many miles of trail.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Is there some reason you need to be 20 mi from "Denver" ?

That really doesn't leave you a lot, if anything. Increase it to 40 - 60 mi and you'll have more options. The further from Denver, the more the choices.

As it is, the closest option near your 20mi radius is the above mentioned Golden Gate SP.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    As it is, the closest option near your 20mi radius is the above mentioned Golden Gate SP.
    Sure, if he registered for a campsite back in January then he should be all set.

I still don't get why someone would camp at GGC. It's like a canvas trailer park. You have more privacy on a city bus.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Sure, if he registered for a campsite back in January then he should be all set.

I still don't get why someone would camp at GGC. It's like a canvas trailer park. You have more privacy on a city bus.
    I agree but the OP asked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    why so close to denver? my girlfriend wants to be in denver, i want to camp; if i get a campground close enough in proximity then i get my cake and eat too! i could care less about denver (no offense) b/c of my love for the outdoors. it is seemingly more difficult to found open sites within a close proximity of denver so my hopes and aspirations maybe forgotten.

i am a country boy and she is a city girl whom i am attempting to convert to somewhat of an outdoorswoman. as stated prior i want rockies she wants metro; i may just change the location to laramie/cheyenne for frontier days and a rodeo. camping may occur in curt gowdy as someone previously recommended...

wish me luck and i await more input from y'all...!

mtbr member
    I stayed in a nice hotel in Golden last week. That would keep a city girl happy and there was a bike shop about 100 feet away.
    Golden was a great town to visit! I only wish I could have been there longer. No riding for me
    Sorry I know you said camping, but I had to chime in somewhere and say I really liked that town.