Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pdh
    mtbr member

New question here. Which came first?

At lunch today we were discussing various trail along the front range. The conversation lead to the "paving" of technical sections of several trails, that has been discussed here over and again.
    With that in mind, the question was ask, "Do you think most mt bikers started as roadies or the other way around? Myself I moved here bought mt bike after mt bike,then dh rig, then
    (15 years later now) a road bike, a dirt jumper two years ago. Now another dh rig this year. So to me as long as I'm on a bike it's all good.I love all aspects of riding.
    Although I wish I could ride DH every day. But that is a pain a must bare until June.
    Anyway I guess we were trying to figure out the "mellowing" of mountain biking. Now I know road riding is much older then mountain biking, etc... all the contributing factors... etc,etc..general population, etc. But for the majority of riders here today what are your thoughts and or story. And how do you spend the majority of your riding time? 100% mountain? 60/40 road? Help give me some ammo for lunch tomorrow.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Started as roadie in 1984 when my shins were shot from running in high school/college. Found the freedom of mountain biking in the mid 90's and haven't looked back since. I was so tired of the hassles of road riding - primarily the ability to get out and fly unless I actually lived on the edge of town. (My old route used to take me on a lap around the Air Force Academy. I now live in cental Denver, and HATE the bike paths). I am about ~ 90 - 95% montanas, and ~ 5 - 10% road weenie. I amazed at how, comparatively speaking, my mountain riding will allow me to ride well in what I consider big road rides. Think Triple Bypass, Iron Horse Classic, and the Copper Triangle. I did both the Iron Horse, and Copper Triangle this year, and they were only two of a total of eight road rides so far this year. Nice day, and trails permitting - I am riding the singletrack (like yesterday), and enjoying a beer afterward.
    Last edited by singletrax; 11-12-2007 at 08:02 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    bmx'd when I was little. bought a mnt bike in college, and another mtb, and then another(current), just finished building a roadie SS tonight in fact for around town and some winter lunch time spinning. looking for some 27 or 28 cross tires for it so I can ride the dirt roads around my house with more confidence. Not looking to become a roadie or anything.

eci
    i started on a big wheel in 1986 on a large gravel hill. there was only one way down!

Team Velveeta™

much depends on how old you are

Quote Originally Posted by pdh
    "Do you think most mt bikers started as roadies or the other way around?"
    I started riding as a little kid with a 20" wheeled bike with banana seat and sissy bar (Huffy Dragster, circa 1969). We rode those goofy little bikes everywhere, dirt, pavement, sweet jumps...

But when I was about 8 my dad and his best friend got 10-speeds and started riding. Soon their kids had them, we did 10-20 mile rides in the country together and eventually graduated to century rides. I finished my first century in 1973 when I was 9 years old.

I rode road bikes off and on, doing some 10-speed bar-hopping and what-all during college. Spent a summer in Denver in the early 80s doing some wild-ass urban riding. Then in 1987 I found myself in Grand Junction, washed out of college, tending bar. My days were empty so I went out and bought a used road bike and started riding distance again.

Then in Spring of '88 a friend showed me his new Trek 850 and it was all over. I became an mtb zealot and never looked back.

I ride mountain almost exclusively even though I have a really cool road bike. It sees action mostly when the dirt is buried under ice and snow. I enjoy it, but it's not mountain biking.

If you're an old fossil like me, chances are you did some road time. Back when dinosaurs walked the earth
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Bad Andy
    Bought a $300 Raleigh back in 1989-90 just to kick around on. Somehow stumbled upon White Ranch and the Colorado Trail, and it was all over. I was hooked. So, put me in the Mtn Biker category! I have done a fair share of road riding - mostly 2 years ago as I was training for the Triple Bypass as a challenge to myself, which it was, and it was fun, but nothing like Mtn Biking!! I road ride Lookout Mtn occasionally and loop HW 40 back to my house by Heritage Square, and occasionally to kids sporting events, but to choose between the 2, it's not even close - fat tire all the way!!

ride

dirt

2 wheels and dirt have always been interconnected for me. I grew up around dirt bikes and had done a few motorcycle enduros by the time I was 12. Got out of it when skateboards and cars came around. Later on, in college I lived 'just' far enough away from campus that it was a pain in the a$$ to walk. Got a mountain bike, rediscovered 2 wheels and dirt and was sucked in full on. Heck, it wasn't until later that I tried road riding. I got into skinny tires as training when I was racing mountain bikes.

Don't discredit them - road bikes can be a good time. 50mph plus hauling down canyons is pretty darn fun. I've been either working or playing with the kids these days though, and only get out to ride a few times a week. I think I rode the road bike last in August?

Cross bikes, though, that's another story
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr

Cross bikes, though, that's another story
    dave, is there such a thing as a cross tire that's 700/27 or 28?

Bad Andy
    Do you know Jerry Fesenmeyer? Old friend from grade school clear up through high school (Longmont, Co).
    Last I knew he co-owned a glass shop in Salida.
    Tell him hi for me if you know him/see him!

..ouch
    BMX as a kid and then some triathlons as a teenager that lead to a few centurion road races.. Got into other sports and lost interest in non-moto travel until my early twenties when I was introduced to a mountainbike ride. Hooked. Since then: hardtail > full squish > bigger full squish > now ride an 8" travel as my regular trail bike.

slow
    Dirt first. Like TomP, while growing up I rode a banana seat bike all over the dirt trails in nearby fields and off sweet jumps in the street out front. Got too big for that bike and found myself on a ten-speed in Junior High. While I spent some time on the road and riding to school, I still beat up the wheels from riding in the dirt. Got my first mountain bike in 1985 and started riding Horsetooth Mountain Park. When we came to a tech section, we sessioned it until we could clean it. Rather than make the trail easier, it was an honor to be able to clean the section. I just bought a road bike about two years ago to ride when the dirt is too muddy, but beyond that I prefer the dirt to this day.

Card Carrying Member
    Green Machine and a big gravel hill started it all, but I can remember propping boards up on bricks at a very early age and hitting it on my silver naner seated something or other... Moved on to racing BMX nationally for a couple years, got hung up up on skateboarding for a decade or so, then MTB. Never owned a road bike, but I've borrowed one a couple of times. It's fun, but if I'm going to be on the road with cars, I wanna be in one.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Mountain only.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    dave, is there such a thing as a cross tire that's 700/27 or 28?
    About as narrow as I've seen is 30. A fat road 28 training tire at a lower pressure will still yeild ok traction for crappy roads, though. Sorry for the hijack!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Sounds like me

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Dirt first. Like TomP, while growing up I rode a banana seat bike all over the dirt trails in nearby fields and off sweet jumps in the street out front. Got too big for that bike and found myself on a ten-speed in Junior High. While I spent some time on the road and riding to school, I still beat up the wheels from riding in the dirt. Got my first mountain bike in 1985 and started riding Horsetooth Mountain Park. When we came to a tech section, we sessioned it until we could clean it. Rather than make the trail easier, it was an honor to be able to clean the section. I just bought a road bike about two years ago to ride when the dirt is too muddy, but beyond that I prefer the dirt to this day.

I posted this at passion but it works here as well.

Originally posted by onbelaydave :
    I've been riding single track since ~ ' 68-' 69

It wasn't in the "mountains" but on the hiking trails of Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota . Not that photo worthy and not worth coining a new "sport" or so I thought.

As soon as I moved to Colorado in '73 I followed the same route, taking my '10 speed" w/fatty tires on every hiking trail west of Ft.Collins. It was what I loved to do, just for me.

I'm still doing now at almost 53 yrs old. Still ferreting out new trails, and still doing it for "myself"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    In the early "70"s my buddy and I took our sting rays put ten speed seats on them, welded motorcycle handle bars to the gooseneck and called them BMX bikes. His dad would haul us about 19 miles (we clocked 1 time) up the hill behind Shasta Dam here in far nor cal and we would bomb back down. A few years after that we rode ten speeds for a bit and then gave up riding until "89". Thats when I got my 1st mt.bike, a Trek 850,been riding ever since

friend of Apex
    Started on on BMX, went to MTN biking soon after in the mid- late 80s. Only recently have I done any road riding, and thats just for commuting/errands/hittin the local pub. No way would I ride road for "fun".
    Although my commuter bike, the Grociery Getter (G-dub) gets way more miles... The mountain bikes get the vast majority of my time, effort, and $. If the world had no pavement, I would ride mtn bike only.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

lucky enough
    An important factor is age since mountain bikes didn't become widespread until the 80s. So I started on the road. Did a 1000 mile ride from Mammoth to San Francisco to Laguna - that got my groove going. I figured bike was the best way to travel if you really wanted to see the country you were going through.
    Nowadays I ride maybe 70/30 mtn/road. The road bike can still take me to cool places, plus I love screaming down the canyons racing cars.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

cheeseburger in paradise
    1985 BMX!!
    1987 First Mountain Bike (40 pound steel Miyata with lots of neon, Yea!)
    1989 Convert to Road Weenie (250-300 miles a week!)
    1993 Back to Mountain Bike (40 pound GT Karakoram with lots of anodized parts)
    1994 First (light) MTB with suspension (mag 10) and clipless (onza)
    1998 First full suspension (FSR Pro)...

...many, many, many more bikes (both road and mountain)

2007 80% MTB, 20%Road = 100% Velo Addict
    Last edited by bluchris; 11-13-2007 at 12:18 PM.
    singlecrack

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    About as narrow as I've seen is 30. A fat road 28 training tire at a lower pressure will still yeild ok traction for crappy roads, though. Sorry for the hijack!
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Green Machine and a big gravel hill started it all,
    Ah yes, the beloved Green Machine!!! That and its twin the Red Baron were sooooooooooooo much better than a plain ol' Big Wheel.

Thread Terrorist
    I started mountain biking, which led to drinking, which leads to more mountain biking...

Vicious cycle...

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    BMX, Touring road bike, then Mountain for me.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

Goofing off?
    Started on 20"/ BMX/ bananna seat and then moved up to the beach cruiser and 10 speed in high school. I remember riding singtrack in 2nd grade on these rigs pretending that I was in ewok village riding one of those things they rode (speederbike?).

Team Inflexible
    I grew up racing motos and eventually got sick of getting hurt and started getting into Mountain biking around 1990. My first Mountain bike was a Nishiki Colorado with some really cool paint splatter on it. I remember I bent the front fork and rode it chopper style until it eventually got stolen.

Now almost 20 years later I have become a complete MTB Snob. I am very picky about my single track and rarely pick rides that involve any dirt road let alone asphalt.

If anybody ever sees me riding a roadie you have permission to run me off the street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast