Goat Head

C Springs Night Ride 3/19/14

Something, something, and a bike ride in the dark. Who's with me?

TheInflexibles(.com)

Resident Gear Head
    Depending on what time you guys are meeting I might be in.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Goat Head
    Always at 6, but we've met up on-trail more times than I can remember.

TheInflexibles(.com)

Resident Gear Head
    I'll check back on Wednesday morning, count me as a maybe
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    Something, something, and a bike ride in the dark. Who's with me?

TheInflexibles(.com)
    I am! I am!

I so want to ride the State Park, but since I've got a babysitter again this week, any one of the Three Amigos would work best for me. What do you guys think?

Goat Head
    University! Grilling at our house?

TheInflexibles(.com)

Goat Head
    Or ute and grilling at B's place

TheInflexibles(.com)

the Chain Guy
    I'm up for either. If we ride at Pulpit I'll try and ride over. Where is an easy place to meet up with you guys since I don't know those trails yet?

Goat Head
    Don't know the trails? Good reason to do University. I suggest meeting at our house for anyone driving and locals, then the UCCS Heller Center for Bismirle. Here is an updated map from the last time we talked about meeting at the Heller Center.

Name:  HellerCenter.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  93.2 KB

We could also meet at Il Vicino for beers and food, ooorrr grill tube meats and drink fancy 6 packs at the house. I wonder if we can get Tennubs to bring over the mobile taco stand?

I'm with stupid

ooorrr grill tube meats and drink fancy 6 packs at the house. I wonder if we can get Tennubs to bring over the mobile taco stand?

As long as nobody is serving up tube steaks with creamofsumyunguy and asking me to bring the buns I am game for this.
    Taco are good, last taco party was on the rainiest night ride ever!

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Taco are good, last taco party was on the rainiest night ride ever!
    Yeah, that was quite an event last time... I planted about 40 trees yesterday and they could use the rain, but I'm not sure it's worth bringing out the taco wheel to summon it.

Regardless of our food of choice, I would much rather hang at Casa del Inflexibles than Il V's. I'll bring a side dish.

I did it all for the kudo
    This sounds fun! But unfortunately I'm a maybe for this week, I'll keep you guys posted on my status.

Goat Head
    Short bus, u can always come to the after party

TheInflexibles(.com)

Not the Cat in the Hat!
    Nov 2010
    I am finally in town for an inflexibles ride... count me in!

Goat Head
    As long as nobody is serving up tube steaks with creamofsumyunguy and asking me to bring the buns I am game for this
    Dude, don't worry, I'm 37.

mtbr member
    I am in. Fiesta de taco y la cerveza

Goat Head
    Awwwwwww yiiiiiissssss

TheInflexibles(.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Tennubs View Post
    I am in. Fiesta de taco y la cerveza
    I was just going to put up a post that we should consider skipping this ride and representing at the Collective meeting and then you had to go and throw THAT up on the board....

I'm with stupid

What should people bring for said taco night? I'm going to the store today after work so If I can know by then I won't need to make a extra trip

I'll bring the reefers (beans that is...)

Not the Cat in the Hat!
    Nov 2010
    If there are good avocados at the store, I've got the guacamole, salsas and chips covered. I hope I don't Mexicanise them too much for you and make it all too spicy.

I'm with stupid

I think you are safe with the spicy...

the Chain Guy
    I'm going back and forth between riding and attending that meeting. So I guess I'm a maybe.

gotta get up to get down
    SPICIER THE BETTER

brapppppPPPP new bike is sweeeeeeeet, plastic + small wheels = neverending fun...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I don't know, as much as I love riding my new bike and riding with you all. I feel guilty about complaining about all the trail closures yet not making an effort to do anything about it. I am leaning toward attending the meeting at US cycling https://www.facebook.com/events/247341715438949/. I may still be in for foods though.

I'm with stupid

I'm bringing tortillas.

I hear you Becca. I wish there was more information ABOUT the meeting. It sounds like this is going to be all cyclists so showing up so we don't need to "convince" a larger group that mountain biking needs to be an activity. I would like to understand the agenda and purpose of the meeting a little better I guess...

the Chain Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaV View Post
    I don't know, as much as I love riding my new bike and riding with you all. I feel guilty about complaining about all the trail closures yet not making an effort to do anything about it. I am leaning toward attending the meeting at US cycling https://www.facebook.com/events/247341715438949/. I may still be in for foods though.
    I didn't realize where USA Cycling was. I will probably ride around Ute for a bit and then just ride over to the meeting. So I would say I'm out for the ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I hear you Becca. I wish there was more information ABOUT the meeting. It sounds like this is going to be all cyclists so showing up so we don't need to "convince" a larger group that mountain biking needs to be an activity. I would like to understand the agenda and purpose of the meeting a little better I guess...
    It is my understanding that the point of the meeting is to unify all the local mtn bikers to stand behind Alternative B, that we will have an opportunity to learn more about what Alternative B actually is, and will send our votes in to the Forest Service (bcc@fs.fed.us) at the meeting. This is the main reason I plan to go because I do not want to miss the deadline to vote (3/27). I also think it is important that we all support the same option so that we send a much stronger message, and I hope that maybe we can request improvements to Alternative B, not likely but as a group we may have enough sway.

stolen from the Facebook group:
    Here are the key links to the situation in Bear Creek. Special thanks to Tim Scott for compiling all of these:

We are supporting “Alternative B” of the Bear Creek proposals
    Alternative A = Current System
    Alternative B = Reroutes, proposed action per FS leadership
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792562.pdf

Alternative C = Closures, limited access.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792563.pdf

Bear Creek Information, per the USFS
    Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Home

To make comments, due by March 27th 2014, use the following email:
    bcc@fs.fed.us

Information on Bear Creek trail design
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5440020.pdf
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5440015.pdf

FS trail closures announcement
    Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Alerts & Notices

So if Altternative A is the current system, why wouldn't we be behind that? I like the current system just fine. That being said, if Medicine Wheel is behind B, I'm sure there is a good reason and I would support that. Alternative C is obviously not good...

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaV View Post
    It is my understanding that the point of the meeting is to unify all the local mtn bikers to stand behind Alternative B, that we will have an opportunity to learn more about what Alternative B actually is, and will send our votes in to the Forest Service (bcc@fs.fed.us) at the meeting. This is the main reason I plan to go because I do not want to miss the deadline to vote (3/27). I also think it is important that we all support the same option so that we send a much stronger message, and I hope that maybe we can request improvements to Alternative B, not likely but as a group we may have enough sway.

stolen from the Facebook group:
    Here are the key links to the situation in Bear Creek. Special thanks to Tim Scott for compiling all of these:

We are supporting “Alternative B” of the Bear Creek proposals
    Alternative A = Current System
    Alternative B = Reroutes, proposed action per FS leadership
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792562.pdf

Alternative C = Closures, limited access.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3792563.pdf

Bear Creek Information, per the USFS
    Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Home

To make comments, due by March 27th 2014, use the following email:
    bcc@fs.fed.us

Information on Bear Creek trail design
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5440020.pdf
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5440015.pdf

FS trail closures announcement
    Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Alerts & Notices
    This is all the same stuff that was going on at the last meeting I told you guys about at the Colorado Springs Utilities building. All the Forest service members, fish people and trail people were there at that meeting so you could get questions answered in person and get all the info you needed. You should have come to that one. Med wheel also had another one last week.

We all need to stay involved and be as positive as possible but dont kid yourselves, these decisions have already been made long ago behind closed doors. The Forest service's unfounded and rash decisions for the trail closures is the writing on the wall. They are now just going through the motions to be politically correct!

gotta get up to get down
    eh, better late than never... just cuz i'm curious, did the meeting at the CSUtilities indicate how long they might close old stage for? or if they would let local MTBers be involved in the re-route if alt. B goes through?

the Chain Guy
    Becca, I'm out for the meeting today. The bug that took down everyone else in my house over the weekend finally hit me.

STRAVA!!!!!!

Bear creek

Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    eh, better late than never... just cuz i'm curious, did the meeting at the CSUtilities indicate how long they might close old stage for? or if they would let local MTBers be involved in the re-route if alt. B goes through?

Didn't get any info on old stage other than that's another crisis that they are not sure what to do with or have any sort of time line...or so they say. As far as volunteers for the re-route that's not going to happen....No firm answer now due to the liability involved with the general public.

Guess what they said when I asked about Waldo opening up?
    Now that they have installed gates above and below the waldo parking lot to close down highway 24 in the event of a flash flood people could get trapped if they were parked in that lot. So until they "relocate" the freaking trail head and parking lot it will stay closed!
    Keep up the great work Colo. Spgs! Lol

gotta get up to get down
    tonight I'll ask Tim how the captain can be run if old stage is closed indefinitely

also, where the hell can they "relocate" the Waldo trailhead to!? i wonder what shape the trail itself is in.... i miss williams/waldo

seems pretty bleak for this summer... with old stage closed, jones/foresters area trails closed, jacks/high drive/palmer trail closed, waldo & williams closed, ugh.

curious, did you ask the FS people how they plan on enforcing these closures (i.e. if they plan on ticketing at some point) ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    Becca, I'm out for the meeting today. The bug that took down everyone else in my house over the weekend finally hit me.
    Thats too bad Brian, I hope you feel better soon!
    Sounds like the meeting may just be depressing anyways, but we will let you know if anything good comes of it.
    I really just want to know if Old Stage will be open up at all... and I wish I could have made it to the last meeting.

On a lighter note, P and I can bring cabbage salad and tostadas shells to the fiesta tonight!

Goat Head
    I am counting on Tennubs taco stand eats to brighten the mood

TheInflexibles(.com)

I made sure that the beans I'm bringing are vegetarian so they are Becca friendly (in case you want any).

STRAVA!!!!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    tonight I'll ask Tim how the captain can be run if old stage is closed indefinitely

curious, did you ask the FS people how they plan on enforcing these closures (i.e. if they plan on ticketing at some point) ?
    My guess is the Captain will just be in Palmer......buttttt the good news is.....there is only one ranger for all the trails you mentioned bro!!!! Haha, he cant keep up with all that and they are not going to write tickets to MTBers! They are just as pissed as we are! Ride on!

I'm with stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    My guess is the Captain will just be in Palmer......buttttt the good news is.....there is only one ranger for all the trails you mentioned bro!!!! Haha, he cant keep up with all that and they are not going to write tickets to MTBers! They are just as pissed as we are! Ride on!
    I sure hope not, I will be a bit sad if I paid 90 bucks to do 2min wind sprints all day for two days in Palmer.

I am counting on Tennubs taco stand eats to brighten the mood

TheInflexibles(.com)
    Killer ride last night! Thanks to Nick for the tacos and to Jay and Chris for hosting the post ride fiesta. Luis, I didn't get the gall-bladder 2:00 am wake up call so your salsa was not hot enough .

STRAVA!!!!!!
    I sure hope not, I will be a bit sad if I paid 90 bucks to do 2min wind sprints all day for two days in Palmer.
    I hear ya man! What we need to do and maybe someone here knows the best way to go about it and Im sure Med wheel is all over it, is to get the Forest Service to let us, Med wheel, CMTRA and a few others that eludes me at the moment, to do the reroute. If we can get it turned into a volunteer project like the last one up there it could be done in a matter of days. I just cant see the Forest service getting it done on their own.

Not the Cat in the Hat!
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Luis, I didn't get the gall-bladder 2:00 am wake up call so your salsa was not hot enough .
    I Happy to see you slept through the night.

Thank you guys also for the ride, tacos and hospitality! Excellent night!

mtbr member
    Best ride ever!
    C Springs Night Ride 3/19/14-pulpit-sunset.jpg

Goat Head
    Glad u posted urs. Mine came out well, but urs is bad a*s. Good ride and glad to have had ur taco stand in attendance.

TheInflexibles(.com)

I did it all for the kudo
    TBH if this happens they should just give out refunds. Hopefully it plays out well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice picture