mtbr member

c-springs gazette single speed write up.

mtbr member
    funny, i just converted a pawn shop find trek 950 to SS this week and have been enjoying the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    Mr Phillips is the Devil.
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

Inflexable...
    He's also a chicken-shiit...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Where's this guy been the last few years??

Not from springs what's up with this guy?
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    i agree.
    Last edited by xcutterx; 05-27-2008 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Are you guys seriously dogging the article? It's nice, it's positive and it puts SSing in a good context without being over-the-top. It didn't unduly glorify or promote SSing. I don't live in the Springs, don't know the writer, I do ride a rigid SS from time to time, but your criticism seem inappropriately harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    I don't live in the Springs, don't know the writer, I do ride a rigid SS from time to time, but your criticism seem inappropriately harsh.
    He is a poop stain with a reputation for pointing the spot light at trails that do not need attention. He rides a mountain bike and is lucky enough to call the Springs home - he should know better.
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mr Phillips is the devil and is by no means good for the Colorado Springs cycling community,no matter what type of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    i don't think the single speed article was the issue. its other articles he has written that have rubbed people the wrong way. he basically does more damage than good as far as the cycling in the springs is concerned.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcutterx
    i don't think the single speed article was the issue. its other articles he has written that have rubbed people the wrong way. he basically does more damage than good as far as the cycling in the springs is concerned.
    Can you explain? I'm not familiar with the Springs or this guy, but this article came across as clever and better than most I've seen in the normal press.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Team Inflexible

did a little digging

so after a quick google here is a interesting post off of the gazzette out there blog. This may explain some things http://gazetteoutthere.blogspot.com/

Bikers are angry

They're angry at me because I published an article about a "secret" downhill mountain bike trail in the Pike National Forest called I-35. Here is one of the responses I got (typos included.) It's fairly typical of others:
    You must be the dumbest person I know!!! Thanks for your article, your direction's were a little off, but people that should not be riding our trail found it anyway. Our national DH champ is from Colorado and this is where the local Pro athlete's train, including myself. That is why it is so technical. What we managed to keep secret for more than 8 years, was let out in one article. I guess that's what newspaper's do, report news. I'd like to know how you got the name and the direction's, because I don't know you, and I don't see you doing any maintenance on the trail. This trail is a place that keep's the fastest people in the state from going down Jack's, Chute's, area's in Palmer Park, and Ute. Hopefully it does not get shut down now. We've talked to the Forest rangers and they don't seem to have a problem letting a few people ride up there as long as people are not building wooden stunts nailed into the tree top's. I personally don't mind hitting single s! peeders coming up the chutes, but seeing that I race Pro 4x, DH means I have to train on my XC bike as well as road, and don't like it when dudes are bombing Edna Mae in body armor when I'm triing to climb it. This trail is the only thing on the front range (left). Where you did'nt have to worrie about someone hiking/biking up or boobie trapping it because they don't like bikers on a muti use trails going fast. I.e., palmer park and all the mysterious boulders that just seem to roll down and stop on the trail in the middle of the night. In the futer I wish you would keep unmarked trails out of the paper and especially don't give direction on how to get to them, your article was one third about the trail and two third about how to get to it. The next time you can hit a 35 ft. gap over a mine tailing , make it down that trail in one piece or you and your buddie flatting several times(I know people you know and talk get's aroung real fast) maybe then you can tell you buddies.&nbs! p;You h ave no buisness talking about, especially writing about a trail you don't even ride, you're worse then a little kid on the internet talking crap. Maybe next time you could write an article on how people that train for the pikes peak accent use the incline, and how it's illegal, and get that shut down too, or maybe where all the local dirt jumps are.Your informant is going to regret they told your dumb @ss anything about this. P.S. be carefull the next shop you drop your bike off to, may forget to tighten all the bolts, beacause most of the mechanics in town ride DH.Stoops!!!!

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    so after a quick google here is a interesting post off of the gazzette out there blog. This may explain some things http://gazetteoutthere.blogspot.com/
    . . . . I guess that's what newspaper's do, report news.
    I'm looking at the blog and don't see anything offensive. If anything, he seems more biased towards pro-biking and outdoorsy stuff. He even has some helpful stuff on there.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I'm looking at the blog and don't see anything offensive. If anything, he seems more biased towards pro-biking and outdoorsy stuff. He even has some helpful stuff on there.
    I tend to agree. Bashing the reporter, who genuinely seems like a proponent of MTB, is to engage in a kind of localism/territorialism that reflects poorly on mountain biking and mountain bikers. It's really too bad if that is what MTBing is degenerating to on the Front Range, though I guess it is a predictable trend. The only ones who end up looking like "poop stains" are folks doing damage to the feel-good vibe that generally permeates the sport.