mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bypassing the gravel road at Waterton

Besides going to Buffalo Creek and catching the CT from there, is there a way to hop on it but still bypass that boring gravel road at Waterton? Now I know why so few riders want to go there, regardless of opportunity to run into the biking fishermen and walking crazies.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You can start from the Indian Creek campground and ride to the Colorado Trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's great to hear. I'm not too familiar with the area yet. Where can I catch the Indian Creek campground? I tried to find it through Yahoo and Google with no luck. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT- is it this way:

From Castle Rock, Hwy 85 NorthEast to Sedalia, then west on 67 ~ 8 miles up the hill to the Indian Creek Campground. $4 Trailhead fee at the Indian Creek Camprgound lot.

I live off 470 and Univ but have not been on 85 yet.

mtbr member
    From where you are at 85 is Sante Fe Drive. Go South and take a right on 67 once you reach Sedalia. If you don't want to pay the $4 you can park at Rampart Range road and ride down from there. I rode Indian Creek Loop last weekend and it was primo!
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks! I appreciate the info, guys. I also need to get that annual park pass. Maybe that will take care of the $4 fees at some places.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Thanks! I appreciate the info, guys. I also need to get that annual park pass. Maybe that will take care of the $4 fees at some places.
    What park pass? The State Park pass? That won't help at IC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    See how little I know? I'll carry $4 anyway

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    See how little I know? I'll carry $4 anyway
    Don't. Park at Rampart Range road and ride down.

mtbr member

In defense of the Waterton road...

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the fact that you get a chance to warm up before hitting the trail. Everything else around here starts with a gut-buster of a climb straight out of the parking lot. Besides, Waterton's pretty much the only time I get to use the full Pro-pedal setting on my RP3.

There's another benefit to the road- it's a psych-out that keeps the crowds down. The riders who are too cool to ride six miles on a dirt road stay away from the place altogether and the families, fishermen, and posers all stop at the Strancha Springs (sp?) dam. Once you get to the Colorado Trail (which takes all of 25 minutes or so), you can ride as much singletrack as you want (literally) without having to yield the trail very often. Especially once you go past the Indian Creek turn off. Last Sunday, I saw maybe five other riders in a little over 11 miles of singletrack riding.

Besides, the road is full of Highland Ranch MILFs in jog bras, which is a nice distraction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. The $4 can easily go towards a 90 Shilling and a homemade BLT or two.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I know I'm in the minority, but I like the fact that you get a chance to warm up before hitting the trail. Everything else around here starts with a gut-buster of a climb straight out of the parking lot. Besides, Waterton's pretty much the only time I get to use the full Pro-pedal setting on my RP3.

There's another benefit to the road- it's a psych-out that keeps the crowds down. The riders who are too cool to ride six miles on a dirt road stay away from the place altogether and the families, fishermen, and posers all stop at the Strancha Springs (sp?) dam. Once you get to the Colorado Trail (which takes all of 25 minutes or so), you can ride as much singletrack as you want (literally) without having to yield the trail very often. Especially once you go past the Indian Creek turn off. Last Sunday, I saw maybe five other riders in a little over 11 miles of singletrack riding.

Besides, the road is full of Highland Ranch MILFs in jog bras, which is a nice distraction.
    I personally don't mind the 6 mile ride up the road. It's closer, a good warm up as you said, and there are occasional boobies.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Cool. The $4 can easily go towards a 90 Shilling and a homemade BLT or two.
    Do yourself a favor and try Great Divide Titan IPA...

Unless you don't like IPA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll give it another shot. The day I went was full of the fishing guys on bikes and some crazy looking people, two of who were actually having conversations with themselves.

Trail Abuser
    Apr 2006

Just ride fast....

Watch for all the wild life. Always see more in the canyon than up on the trail.
    I will definitely keep watch for the boobies.
    http://montereybay.com/creagrus/boobies.html
    A little far from sea this time a year for boobies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Waterton is ok, Indian Creek is nice too...

I'll give it another shot. The day I went was full of the fishing guys on bikes and some crazy looking people, two of who were actually having conversations with themselves.
    When I lived in Denver, Waterton was always a fun place to go. Like others said, the climb up is a nice warmup. And, quite frequently there were bighorn sheep up at the top just before jumping on the singletrack up. Once you get past Stronita Springs Dam, there is often no else except us MTBR.
    I also often went to Indian Creek, which is all around great rec spot. Its especially fun for snowshoe in the winter :-)
    You can locate it on maps.google.com if you just search for NF-300 Sedalia or Rampart Range Rd. Sedalia, or Moonridge, Colorado.
    One thing I always wanted to do was make the hookup from Indian Creek campground trails all the way over to Waterton Canyon. At the time I was going, I think there was "officially" no open trail that way. But, the trail system dumps you into a rather rough access rd for some power lines that seems to go over to Waterton. But, I never pushed through because it seemed too steep and overgrown and it would be an out and back anyway.
    Anyone ever go through?
    By the time you have driven all the way out to Indian Creek, you would already have finished the Waterton Canyon uphill.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    <snip>
    One thing I always wanted to do was make the hookup from Indian Creek campground trails all the way over to Waterton Canyon. At the time I was going, I think there was "officially" no open trail that way. But, the trail system dumps you into a rather rough access rd for some power lines that seems to go over to Waterton. But, I never pushed through because it seemed too steep and overgrown and it would be an out and back anyway.
    Anyone ever go through?.
    Yup. There're all sorts of official as well as "unofficial" trails back there now.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs

I agree 100%.

mtbr member
    One time I was riding the road back to the parking lot and a bighorn sheep came crashing down the road cut about 20 feet behind me and followed me for about 1/4 mile. If I kept moving he stayed about 30 feet back but if I stopped he slowed down and started lowering his head and looking like he was going to charge me. Crazy. That alone made it worth riding the road.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    One time I was riding the road back to the parking lot and a bighorn sheep came crashing down the road cut about 20 feet behind me and followed me for about 1/4 mile. If I kept moving he stayed about 30 feet back but if I stopped he slowed down and started lowering his head and looking like he was going to charge me. Crazy. That alone made it worth riding the road.

Yeah, they are a bit scary when they come down to the road. Just think you could have been on "When Animals Attack"!!

DRT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've had one of the bighorns false charge me up there a couple years back... I was never worried about bighorns until then, now they scare the crap outta me...

mtbr member
    IC campground is certainly a good way to cut out the road. However, if you're coming from the north, and riding at a reasonable pace, it's so far around that it takes *more time* to drive to the IC campground and back than to just riding the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

For those who do ride the road, fast

time yourselves from the parking lot to the little bench at the top of the first singletrack section (from there it's downhill to the stream crossings then up up up). I set a PR a few months ago but I ain't telling till I find out what others' times are!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    time yourselves from the parking lot to the little bench at the top of the first singletrack section (from there it's downhill to the stream crossings then up up up). I set a PR a few months ago but I ain't telling till I find out what others' times are!
    Damn chest thumpers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    35 min

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    33:50, Indian Creek loop to campground, same starting/ending point, 2:29

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I rode Waterton again a few days ago

Quote Originally Posted by rkappius
    33:50, Indian Creek loop to campground, same starting/ending point, 2:29
    and realized there is a small bench at the top of what might be called the first singletrack section, but is really just a doubletrack section immediately off the road. Then the real single track starts and winds its way up to "the top" where there's another bench. From that bench it's down down down to the creek crossings etc. My best to that second bench from the big parking lot is 48 minutes and change. If you're making it to that second bench in 35 minutes, that's smoking! I've never timed myself on the sections you're mentioning this time.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yea, that's the time to the 2nd bench, where you take a left to Roxborough/Indian Creek, or straight down to the creek. Had a bit of a tailwind yesterday which helped, 20 min to the restrooms at the dam.

The other time check I've made is 1 hr to the 2nd motorcycle crossing (the one you cross, but do not coincide with) where the trail levels and you traverse towards the South Platte. That 1 hour time was over a decade ago however.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If people are making it from the Waterton parking lot to the second bench up top in 35 minutes, this is demoralizing information and I do not appreciate it being shared

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If people are making it from the Waterton parking lot to the second bench up top in 35 minutes, this is demoralizing information and I do not appreciate it being shared

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since I'm not familiar with the trails up there, I plead ignorance. Anyway, I did the ride yesterday from the Waterton parking lot again. Then I took a left up top and rode twards the Indian Creek camprgound but at the intersection, I took a left down Steven's Gulch (?) and then hooked up with Roxborough. It was a good ride (except for that one deep trench-like area through Rox where I kept bouncing off the sides like a pinball. Next time, I'll go the the IC campground to make the ride longer.

Man, that section after the second bench up top was some steep stuff. It was a lung-buster for me. I'm trying to ride harder and harder and I am getting stronger but those steeps sections still humbled me. I didn't even have enough strength left to dial down the fork. I recovered at the intersection but I like this trail more and more each time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tell me about it

At one time breaking 50 minutes I considered good. One magical day I get down to 48 and...and...it turns out I'm slow.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Well, the older the man, the faster he ran as a boy...

In the 90's when I was still fit and rode 22 pound bikes, my PR on the WC/Rox loop, parking lot to parking lot (parking lot used to be at the gate before they switched to the other side of the road), was 1hr. 7min.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I was saddened to see that the tree drop near the end of the Roxy Loop is completely circumvented now. I remember a day when there was no "alternate" trail around the tree.

I still rode the drop. And contemplated filling the alternate trail with logs and rocks and maybe some goatheads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Well, the older the man, the faster he ran as a boy...

In the 90's when I was still fit and rode 22 pound bikes, my PR on the WC/Rox loop, parking lot to parking lot (parking lot used to be at the gate before they switched to the other side of the road), was 1hr. 7min.
    Fastest I've ever done that was 1:06, also a long time ago - 1991? It was fun setting a PR to the bench at the Rox cutoff at 33:50 yesterday. Thank goodness my 29er is still in that 22 lb range at 22.5...

J\V
    mtbr member
    What's a good time from the Waterton parking lot to South Platte and back?

We did that on Sunday, and saw almost no one once we hit the singletrack. However, down on the gravel road, I've never seen so many Wal-Mart Specials in my life! LOL

Great ride, 35 miles round trip with a ton of fun singletrack, only two washed-out or way-rocky areas that couldn't be ridden (by me, anyway). Saw the attendant sheep on the way down (about noon), but only one MILF and no cookies.

-J\V
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I was saddened to see that the tree drop near the end of the Roxy Loop is completely circumvented now. I remember a day when there was no "alternate" trail around the tree.

I still rode the drop. And contemplated filling the alternate trail with logs and rocks and maybe some goatheads.
    Word.

That said, the drop on the tree is about 10x harder than it was when it was the only line.

OT: does anyone else get into this sort of situation where there's stuff you ride just 'cause you've ridden it in the past and "know" you can do it, even though now it's harder and you're a bigger wuss and there's no way you'd ride it if it were the first time you'd see it?
    (man, that's a long sentence)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    Word.

That said, the drop on the tree is about 10x harder than it was when it was the only line.

OT: does anyone else get into this sort of situation where there's stuff you ride just 'cause you've ridden it in the past and "know" you can do it, even though now it's harder and you're a bigger wuss and there's no way you'd ride it if it were the first time you'd see it?
    (man, that's a long sentence)
    That tree drop just gradually got harder as the years went by. When it's such a gradual change you don't really notice and just keep doing it because you've always done it. I'd say it's 10x more fun than it used to be.

The Wall at Deer Creek is exactly the same. It was almost "tame" when I started riding it back in the '94-ish time frame. It's gradually gotten worse and worse, but if you've always ridden it then you just ride it.

mtbr member
    That tree drop just gradually got harder as the years went by.
    Really? When I rode it this spring is seemed a lot bigger than the last time, which I thought was the previous summer. No matter.

I'd also agree that it's funner (that's a word, right?) than before.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    That tree drop just gradually got harder as the years went by. When it's such a gradual change you don't really notice and just keep doing it because you've always done it. I'd say it's 10x more fun than it used to be.

The Wall at Deer Creek is exactly the same. It was almost "tame" when I started riding it back in the '94-ish time frame. It's gradually gotten worse and worse, but if you've always ridden it then you just ride it.
    It did get "harder" but it got that way a long time ago. I think it was '98 or '99 and some "kind" person, or trail sanitizing crew, dug under the "root" and put a big ramp-like rock there. That rock was promptly cast down the side by riders and the resulting hole was never filled in. A few rides & a few rains and it looked completely natural but the drop off after the root was a little deeper and that pointy'ish rock below it became more of a wheel trap if you rolled it slow. People kept stacking rocks there and people kept tossing them aside. I haven't seen any sanitizing efforts since I started noticing the "ride-around." Wasn't that long ago, maybe in the last few years? It looked cut in to me, not just burned in from folks walking/riding it so since they're leaving the main line alone these days, I don't have a problem with the ride around and the trail there is in a place where it's not going to get any bigger from braiding or new lines.

Deer Creek has gone through many mods over the years. I won't belabor folks with my oft repeated rant about the recent USuck Staircase addition. The Wall did use to be easier in the early 90's and then sometime in the mid-late'ish 90's the trail sanitizers once again struck and bulldozed the whole Wall climb. Seriously. They bulldozed it and filled the whole thing so it looked like a fireroad. Of course they didn't think that loose fill with no binding agents on top of hard pan would wash away in the first heavy rains and that's exactly what happened only the end result was much worse than what existed before. Left alone for the next several years, The Wall reached a point of natural homeostasis until the USuck project.

I live very near both these trails and have been riding there for over 15-years now. Overall, Waterton/Rox has changed much less than Deer Creek. I think Rox has actually improved over the years considering its traffic on the front portion and the now legal tie-in to IC. They're both still lots of fun.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Anyone ever go through?

hmmm.. i think i know what your asking..

i usually do a yearly ride that i start at waterton and do a big loop out to the IC campground, through roxborough and back to waterton... did it a few weeks ago, took me 3 and 1/2 hours...good fun ride..hardly saw anyone except a couple of people on horseback and it was on a sunday...

its not my favorite ride because i prefer more technical rides, but its pretty and remote and long...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    Really? When I rode it this spring is seemed a lot bigger than the last time, which I thought was the previous summer. No matter.
    Yup - it used to be barely a drop at all... way back in the day. The gnarliness might be accelerating nowadays, but the change in the last 13 years is what I'd call gradual.

I'd also agree that it's funner (that's a word, right?) than before.
    Definitely.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    <snip> The Wall reached a point of natural homeostasis
    I like the upper, rocky slab portion of the wall... the lower section bums me out with all the loose crap that washes down.

mtbr member

I hear you but...

I lost most of a season to that single-line tree drop in the late 90's (broken coller bone and wrist). Since then, I've been totally psyched-out by the "old" line despite the fact that I'm on a much more forgiving bike these days. So I understand the alternate route and I take it. Maybe one day I'll get back on that particular horse.

It's not like that was the one technical section of trail available `round here. There's still plenty of opportunities to scare yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am just glad that nobody has mentioned the best trail in the Indian Creek network yet. (keep it that way). We are lucky and usually get shuttled to the campground, which allows ample exploring and we end up at Waterton--riding down the road.

The road keeps the barneys and the poseurs away, but doesn't seem to detract the chest thumpers who need validation by posting their PRs on the interwebz. (dorks)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No fair- how are we new guys supposed to feel like we belong to the family if everyone shuts us out. We tread lightly and quietly too

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No fair- how are we new guys supposed to feel like we belong to the family if everyone shuts us out. We tread lightly and quietly too
    PMs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    I am just glad that nobody has mentioned the best trail in the Indian Creek network yet. (keep it that way).
    There's some crazy $hit back there, for sure. I'd heard that some of the goods received copious amounts of blowdowns this past spring and that they weren't going to clear them (being bandit trails and all...).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    PMs

You asked for it