Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bypassing the gravel road at Waterton

Besides going to Buffalo Creek and catching the CT from there, is there a way to hop on it but still bypass that boring gravel road at Waterton? Now I know why so few riders want to go there, regardless of opportunity to run into the biking fishermen and walking crazies.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You can start from the Indian Creek campground and ride to the Colorado Trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's great to hear. I'm not too familiar with the area yet. Where can I catch the Indian Creek campground? I tried to find it through Yahoo and Google with no luck. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT- is it this way:

From Castle Rock, Hwy 85 NorthEast to Sedalia, then west on 67 ~ 8 miles up the hill to the Indian Creek Campground. $4 Trailhead fee at the Indian Creek Camprgound lot.

I live off 470 and Univ but have not been on 85 yet.

mtbr member
    From where you are at 85 is Sante Fe Drive. Go South and take a right on 67 once you reach Sedalia. If you don't want to pay the $4 you can park at Rampart Range road and ride down from there. I rode Indian Creek Loop last weekend and it was primo!
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks! I appreciate the info, guys. I also need to get that annual park pass. Maybe that will take care of the $4 fees at some places.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Thanks! I appreciate the info, guys. I also need to get that annual park pass. Maybe that will take care of the $4 fees at some places.
    What park pass? The State Park pass? That won't help at IC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    See how little I know? I'll carry $4 anyway

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    See how little I know? I'll carry $4 anyway
    Don't. Park at Rampart Range road and ride down.

mtbr member

In defense of the Waterton road...

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the fact that you get a chance to warm up before hitting the trail. Everything else around here starts with a gut-buster of a climb straight out of the parking lot. Besides, Waterton's pretty much the only time I get to use the full Pro-pedal setting on my RP3.

There's another benefit to the road- it's a psych-out that keeps the crowds down. The riders who are too cool to ride six miles on a dirt road stay away from the place altogether and the families, fishermen, and posers all stop at the Strancha Springs (sp?) dam. Once you get to the Colorado Trail (which takes all of 25 minutes or so), you can ride as much singletrack as you want (literally) without having to yield the trail very often. Especially once you go past the Indian Creek turn off. Last Sunday, I saw maybe five other riders in a little over 11 miles of singletrack riding.

Besides, the road is full of Highland Ranch MILFs in jog bras, which is a nice distraction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. The $4 can easily go towards a 90 Shilling and a homemade BLT or two.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I know I'm in the minority, but I like the fact that you get a chance to warm up before hitting the trail. Everything else around here starts with a gut-buster of a climb straight out of the parking lot. Besides, Waterton's pretty much the only time I get to use the full Pro-pedal setting on my RP3.

There's another benefit to the road- it's a psych-out that keeps the crowds down. The riders who are too cool to ride six miles on a dirt road stay away from the place altogether and the families, fishermen, and posers all stop at the Strancha Springs (sp?) dam. Once you get to the Colorado Trail (which takes all of 25 minutes or so), you can ride as much singletrack as you want (literally) without having to yield the trail very often. Especially once you go past the Indian Creek turn off. Last Sunday, I saw maybe five other riders in a little over 11 miles of singletrack riding.

Besides, the road is full of Highland Ranch MILFs in jog bras, which is a nice distraction.
    I personally don't mind the 6 mile ride up the road. It's closer, a good warm up as you said, and there are occasional boobies.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Cool. The $4 can easily go towards a 90 Shilling and a homemade BLT or two.
    Do yourself a favor and try Great Divide Titan IPA...

Unless you don't like IPA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll give it another shot. The day I went was full of the fishing guys on bikes and some crazy looking people, two of who were actually having conversations with themselves.

Trail Abuser
    Apr 2006

Just ride fast....

Watch for all the wild life. Always see more in the canyon than up on the trail.
    I will definitely keep watch for the boobies.
    http://montereybay.com/creagrus/boobies.html
    A little far from sea this time a year for boobies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Waterton is ok, Indian Creek is nice too...

I'll give it another shot. The day I went was full of the fishing guys on bikes and some crazy looking people, two of who were actually having conversations with themselves.
    When I lived in Denver, Waterton was always a fun place to go. Like others said, the climb up is a nice warmup. And, quite frequently there were bighorn sheep up at the top just before jumping on the singletrack up. Once you get past Stronita Springs Dam, there is often no else except us MTBR.
    I also often went to Indian Creek, which is all around great rec spot. Its especially fun for snowshoe in the winter :-)
    You can locate it on maps.google.com if you just search for NF-300 Sedalia or Rampart Range Rd. Sedalia, or Moonridge, Colorado.
    One thing I always wanted to do was make the hookup from Indian Creek campground trails all the way over to Waterton Canyon. At the time I was going, I think there was "officially" no open trail that way. But, the trail system dumps you into a rather rough access rd for some power lines that seems to go over to Waterton. But, I never pushed through because it seemed too steep and overgrown and it would be an out and back anyway.
    Anyone ever go through?
    By the time you have driven all the way out to Indian Creek, you would already have finished the Waterton Canyon uphill.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse

One thing I always wanted to do was make the hookup from Indian Creek campground trails all the way over to Waterton Canyon. At the time I was going, I think there was "officially" no open trail that way. But, the trail system dumps you into a rather rough access rd for some power lines that seems to go over to Waterton. But, I never pushed through because it seemed too steep and overgrown and it would be an out and back anyway.
    Anyone ever go through?.
    Yup. There're all sorts of official as well as "unofficial" trails back there now.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs

I agree 100%.

mtbr member
    One time I was riding the road back to the parking lot and a bighorn sheep came crashing down the road cut about 20 feet behind me and followed me for about 1/4 mile. If I kept moving he stayed about 30 feet back but if I stopped he slowed down and started lowering his head and looking like he was going to charge me. Crazy. That alone made it worth riding the road.

DenverDH'er
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    One time I was riding the road back to the parking lot and a bighorn sheep came crashing down the road cut about 20 feet behind me and followed me for about 1/4 mile. If I kept moving he stayed about 30 feet back but if I stopped he slowed down and started lowering his head and looking like he was going to charge me. Crazy. That alone made it worth riding the road.

Yeah, they are a bit scary when they come down to the road. Just think you could have been on "When Animals Attack"!!

DRT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've had one of the bighorns false charge me up there a couple years back... I was never worried about bighorns until then, now they scare the crap outta me...

mtbr member
    IC campground is certainly a good way to cut out the road. However, if you're coming from the north, and riding at a reasonable pace, it's so far around that it takes *more time* to drive to the IC campground and back than to just riding the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

For those who do ride the road, fast

time yourselves from the parking lot to the little bench at the top of the first singletrack section (from there it's downhill to the stream crossings then up up up). I set a PR a few months ago but I ain't telling till I find out what others' times are!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    time yourselves from the parking lot to the little bench at the top of the first singletrack section (from there it's downhill to the stream crossings then up up up). I set a PR a few months ago but I ain't telling till I find out what others' times are!
    Damn chest thumpers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    35 min

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    33:50, Indian Creek loop to campground, same starting/ending point, 2:29

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast