nice marmot.

Byebyebikessnowzcomin

so it's wednesday and "they" are calling for 5-10 inches from about 9,000 and up tonight into tomorrow. if "they" are correct and we do indeed get this snow the bike season in the high country will have for the most part come to a close. did everyone get their fill? i still want more! it seems like just last week some of the best trails lost their last bit of snow and dried out. knowing this weather was coming i spent yesterday, tuesday, riding my guts out! it was warm, sunny, and the leaves were peaking. it was a bittersweet day of riding in both summit and park counties a la boreas pass. the gold dust trail from como to right near the top of the pass was awesome!!!!!!! there was also some good riding in the baker's tank area. tons of folks checking out the leaves. no more riding up here... geuss we'll have to go to fruita, rabbit valley, moab etc... not that that's a bad thing...
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

slow
    I love all of those rides, and have not gotten my fill of high rides this year. However, I remember some pretty spectacular October rides in the Summit when I lived there. I'm hoping it the riding lasts another two weeks.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Well things are turning quickly with the weather. I have a trip planned to breck the last week of sept and I am still holding to it. You just don't know with the weather prediction. They say 5-10 and we end up getting nothing. Even if it snows 5, it could melt within the week if the weather warms. Just tough to call at this point. In other words I am trying to stay positive for my trip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    5-10 inches, say it isn't so!! My favorite ride of the year, our annual Kenosha to Breck ride is scheduled for Sunday and no options for rescheduling. I've been having visions of gliding through bright gold aspen groves for weeks.

If there's any consolation hopefully this early snow is foreshadowing for a huge snow year in the high country!

nice marmot.

what "they" say

usually when "they" say 5-10 inches it means maybe an inch or two... followed by a nice sunny 60 degree day and BAM were riding again! although i gotta tell you looking out the window right now it really is looking like something is brewing.

i am so used to these huge letdowns from the state and local weather services during ski season when they predict these huge dumps and we get a trace to 2 inches. god i hope they are wrong today.

btw copper mountain started making snow already
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtnsinbreck
    usually
    i am so used to these huge letdowns from the state and local weather services during ski season when they predict these huge dumps and we get a trace to 2 inches. god i hope they are wrong today.
    So true, it happens all the time in winter. Surely this will be another weather service blunder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just can't wait for those awesome winter days where you can have fresh pow skiing in the morning/early afternoon, only to come home and hop on the bike for a nice front range ride .

mtbr member
    Has to be a VERY cold day and LOT of snow to keep me off the trails...Cheyenne Canyon at 9 degrees with good snow coverage:
    Sat 2/18 Conditions - Cheyenne Canyon

Alright...for the real "high country"...it's quite a bit different through the winter.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Inflexable...
    I don't care if there is snow or not. Flexibilty is the key.

Ski when you can, bike if not.

I think they are becoming more optimistic in their forecasting...

SNOW WILL INCREASE AGAIN THURSDAY NIGHT OR EARLY FRIDAY AND WILL
    BE HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT. THE AMOUNT OF SNOW WILL
    DEPEND ON THE TRACK AND SPEED OF THE SYSTEM...WHICH IS STILL IN
    DOUBT. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE
    DURING THIS PERIOD.

all in doubt of course...

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    usually when "they" say 5-10 inches it means maybe an inch or two... followed by a nice sunny 60 degree day and BAM were riding again! although i gotta tell you looking out the window right now it really is looking like something is brewing.

Since it looks like you live in breck, I may use you as a resource next week for riding the trails.

To "Air" Is Human

I just passed a truck with two snow fans on it. Crazy!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Has to be a VERY cold day and LOT of snow to keep me off the trails...Cheyenne Canyon at 9 degrees with good snow coverage:
    Sat 2/18 Conditions - Cheyenne Canyon

Alright...for the real "high country"...it's quite a bit different through the winter.
    I love those kind of rides! Keep me in the loop for the first one. I can't wait to do a snow ride out here.

The pinelands of southern NJ (yes, it's not all roads and factories):

Members who have read this thread: 0