Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

The Burn MTB TT In Buffalo Creek May 31 08

Racers,

Mother nature got the best of us last year, but we will re-innagurate the Burn in 08.

Registration is limited to the first 250 racers. There are NO DAY OF REGISTRATIONS this year. So, lock down your spot, load up the carbs and Shine up that 44. The Burn is gonna ignite!

What is a Time Trial? A time trial is a race against the clock. It's you vs yourself as this mind teaser will have you questioning when and where you can add a little speed over your competitors. Riders will be released one at a time with 30 seconds inbetween riders. Time Trials are sometimes called the "Race of Truth".

We have proposed a time trial due to the strict regulations the South Platte Ranger District of the USDA Forest service set forth. The overarching issue is the endangered species in the area. Riding off of the trial will damage the habitat of these creatures . Creating a time trial spaces riders out evenly, so that passing may not be as much as an issue as a normal XC race. The race is a mix of singletrack interleaved with double track and fireroads. There are special rules that the racer must acknowledge and sign for this event. This is our best way of not damaging the environment while still allowing us to use the epic trail system.

There are 2 courses, a 14 mile course and a 22 mile course. These courses will challenge all. The initial descent(Yes a race that begins with a downhill ) is a very tight fire road that has been massively erroded. It is VERY fast and quite technical due to the speed and erosion. From there the racer will begin a mild ascent up Gashouse gulch, then routed onto Miller Gulch. Enter the Burn. A twisty descent down sandy wash will yield you only smiles as you begin your climb back to the finish, but wait, there will be an additional singletrack climb on shinglemill and one killer descent down Morrision Creek. Back onto the fireroad and put yourself into the highest gear you can maintain and spin that thing like you never have before.

We will do our best to seed riders, so when registering answer the questions honestly and you and your fellow racers will enjoy a smooth race.

Join us as Team Evergreen Racing brings a new twist to the front range in 2008.
    More information can be found at www.teamevergreenracing.com
    Technical Data to be found at http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/user/evergreenracer

We would love to have you join us for the innagural event.

Thanks for your time.
    Chris
    Team Evergreen Racing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Registered! Thanks for the heads up...

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Registered!
    Single or squish?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Singlespeed category... Will be rockin the Sheep. Oh great.. Jdub is coming to kick my ass... well get in line Jdub. The singlespeed category is gonna be full of badasses, and I ain't one of em. I'll be happy with dead last and a great ride in BC!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Oh great.. Jdub is coming to kick my ass... well get in line Jdub. The singlespeed category is gonna be full of badasses, and I ain't one of em. I'll be happy with dead last and a great ride in BC!
    I'm interested in doing this, mainly as an excuse to have to get to BC again. If I sign up, you and I will be battling it out for DFL....and having a great time.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Should be fun, Jdub! Don't give me that "if I sign up" crap... just sign up now so you are in for sure.

mtbr member
    I think I'll do this in one form or the other.

What kind of gearing do you SS folk plan on riding? 26" or 29".

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I'm running 34-20 on my 29er all the time...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Slightly off topic, but what are your favorite Buff Creek tires? I religiously ride Nevegals front and rear but after a few hard crashes in BC (after my front tire washed out), I’m starting to question whether they’re the best front tire for this surface/terrain. Thoughts?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I've been on 29er Rampages for awhile and love them. They have a plenty of grip like the Nev and feel better than the Nevs by a mile with regards to rolling resistance. I've not had problems with washouts when flying through BC on the Rampages. Nice volume and have been pretty tough (wore through a couple sets of treads without tears to the tire or sidewall or anything)... What pressure were you running on the Nevs when you biffed - tubeless/tubed - what rims? Those Nevs are pretty grippy, so was curious how you had them setup... I run the Rampages at around 35-40psi with tubes currently on a DT TK7.1 rim... I'm hoping my LBS will just give me a set of I9s laced to Flows, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

mtbr member

Has anybody been up there lately?

I would imagine that stuff is drying up pretty quickly up there. I haven't yet gotten a chance to survey the area this year, but last year it was pretty dry by this time and that was a big winter.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I was up there on Sunday and it was on its way... still icy-snowy patches on CT and 543. I rode from Ranger Station up Shinglemill to CT towards chair rock and back. Good day riding.

Anyone know how much snow fell up there from this latest storm? Thoughts on when it will be ready for another ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was up there on Sunday and it was on its way... still icy-snowy patches on CT and 543. I rode from Ranger Station up Shinglemill to CT towards chair rock and back. Good day riding.

Anyone know how much snow fell up there from this latest storm? Thoughts on when it will be ready for another ride?
    I agree. I'd love to ride there tomorrow, but that isn't going to happen.

mtbr member

Tree Status

Anybody aware of downed trees in the area? Is it anything like last year?

Thanks in Advance,
    Chris.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    So far I haven't seen any. I have not ridden the CT from shinglemill towards the GM loop, which if I remember correctly, was where the trees were down last year. So I'm no help... lol Gashouse was clear, Sandy, Charlies, Shinglemill, CT towards chair rock... all clear there.

mtbr member

Registration is limited....

Racers,

If you are thinking about racing this event, I would encourage you to sign up early. There are a limited number of spaces, and judging by the amount of race entries so far I would imagine that we fill up this year. There are NO day of registrations this year. Registration closes Midnight May 29 if not sooner due to the racer cap.

mtbr member

Just Promoting.

Doing my duty.

Old, stale, negative
    Trying to get the wife's OK and I'll be in dragging two along for some SS torture. Can't wait.

mtbr member

Trail Conditions & Camping?

Anyone know what the trail conditions are like up there now? Is there any good backcountry camping or somewhere someone can camp on a whim?

mtbr member

The Burn.....3 weeks and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by phatykoko
    Anyone know what the trail conditions are like up there now? Is there any good backcountry camping or somewhere someone can camp on a whim?

We are lucky to hold a race on such an awesome trail system. Everytime I ride up there, I'm always amazed at how much fun it is. Big thanks go out to all of our sponsors and the USFS south platte ranger district for allowing us this oppourtunity.

Trail conditions today (before the rain ) were most excellent. That late season, ego draining sand was all but gone. However, I was a little weary that when I got to the top of gashouse there was fire everywhere , but it appeared that the forest service had a controlled burn going on, however I didn't see a single person. I'm sure they know what they were doing.

Lots of camping up there, but if you are registering for the race, you might want to look into camping up at wellington lake. It's not free, but there are some fish with my name on them up there! http://castlemountainrecreation.com/

Other camping can be had throughout the forest. You can visit the forest service sight for more info. http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/spl/

Good times to come.....Good times.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Was up there on sat. and conditions were superb, a little chilly for a 7:30 start. Climbed shinglemill to CT and out to Green Mountian and there were no downed trees. I could not find the new connector to gashouse to cut out the fireroad. But we were running a bit late so did not scout around too much. Top of Gashouse was still smoldering. They must have reignited it today. Any info on that new connector? We got back to the truck around 11:00 and not one single car in the lot, where was everybody. It was chilly but that is what climbing is for.

Looking into doing this race, hopefully it's not full yet.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member

It's not full yet,

But Cyclo-Core is providing a free training plan with registration. So to make the best of it sign up early and see if it helps!

it's not about the bike
    Can you post maps and start times here? When I follow "The Burn" link from the teamevergreenracing.com website, the site crashes on me.
    Thanks!

mtbr member

Course Map.

Course Description is as follows:
    All Racers will
    Start at Wellington lake Recreation Area.
    Descend down FS543(Service Road)
    Turn Left onto FS550(Service Road)
    Turn Right and climb up Gashouse Gulch.

At the Intersection of Baldy and Gashouse Gulch there will course redirection for Sport and Beginner racers.
    Sport and Beginner Racers will:
    Turn Right on Baldy and Descend back to FS543
    Turn Right onto FS543 and climb to the Wellington Lake Recreation Area.

At the Intersection of Baldy and Gashouse Gulch the Pro and Expert Riders will:
    Continue to ride to Miller Gulch Trail.
    Follow Miller Gulch and continue to ride it as it turns into the Sandy Wash trail.
    Descend down the Sandy Wash trail to FS543.
    Turn Right on FS 543(Service Road).
    Turn Left onto Shinglemill.
    Continue on Shilnglemill and turn right onto Morrison Creek.
    Descend Morrison Creek and Turn Left onto FS543(Service Road).
    Follow FS543(Service Road) to FS550(Service Road)
    Turn Left onto FS550(Service Road) and climb to Wellington Lake Recreation Area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

arrows

course direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast