mtbr member

Buffalo Creek Trails - Elevation Profiles?

Newb here. I apologize if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer. I'm trying to plan a ride for some out-of-town family members, and was hoping to find some elevation profiles for the trails at BC. Is there a good online resource (or even a book) that has the profiles for BC trails?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Get the GPS tracks from the internet and then plug them into strava or mapmyride or whatever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If they are somewhat of an avid rider or intermediate rider they should have no problem at buffalo creek with the elevation if this is what you are trying to figure out..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    If they are somewhat of an avid rider or intermediate rider they should have no problem at buffalo creek with the elevation if this is what you are trying to figure out..
    Ehh....not "avid" riders, but definitely enthusiastic, very excited, and in decent (not great) shape. I rode 543 to 550 to Miller Gulch trailhead last weekend, then back Miller, Charlies, Homestead, Sandy to get a feel for how they might handle it. While I'm sure they could do that route, 543 to 550 to the trailhead is pretty boring. I'm just trying to find a route with a relatively easy, scenic climb or two for them, and some rewarding downhills. The two routes I'm thinking about are (1) Up Nice Kitty, Buffalo Burn, CT, down Shinglemill or (2) 543, up Baldy, down Miller, Charlies, Homestead, Sandy. I've done route 2 a couple of times, but have never done route 1. Does one of those make more sense than the other for what I'm looking for? or, is there an alternative route anyone recommends. Thanks again.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pretty simple to look at th maps and get elevation differences between TH and or the bottom of trails and where they top out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicket? View Post
    Ehh....not "avid" riders, but definitely enthusiastic, very excited, and in decent (not great) shape. I rode 543 to 550 to Miller Gulch trailhead last weekend, then back Miller, Charlies, Homestead, Sandy to get a feel for how they might handle it. While I'm sure they could do that route, 543 to 550 to the trailhead is pretty boring. I'm just trying to find a route with a relatively easy, scenic climb or two for them, and some rewarding downhills. The two routes I'm thinking about are (1) Up Nice Kitty, Buffalo Burn, CT, down Shinglemill or (2) 543, up Baldy, down Miller, Charlies, Homestead, Sandy. I've done route 2 a couple of times, but have never done route 1. Does one of those make more sense than the other for what I'm looking for? or, is there an alternative route anyone recommends. Thanks again.
    I would shoot for the nice kitty route, worst case they might walk a little on nice kitty but then be rewarded with going down shinglemill, maybe take them for a walk on blackjack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I suggest you go up 543 to lower gashouse and then upper gashouse and then down charlie's and sandy wash

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Another option is ride the Green Mtn loop. Start at Little Scraggy TH and ride the CO Trail out and around Green Mtn (722) and back. That's a fast, fun and flowy ride with a relatively short climb around Green Mtn with a fun but not very technical decent back down to the CO Trail.

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    All, thanks for the ride recommendations and general tips. BC presents real problems for an indecisive person like me, i.e., too many great options to choose from!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    Another option is ride the Green Mtn loop. Start at Little Scraggy TH and ride the CO Trail out and around Green Mtn (722) and back. That's a fast, fun and flowy ride with a relatively short climb around Green Mtn with a fun but not very technical decent back down to the CO Trail.
    Geez, man... don't recommend doing it such that you have to CLIMB miles back to the car at the end. If you're going to do this ride, start down by the Meadows Group campground and finish with a sweet, sweet DH.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Geez, man... don't recommend doing it such that you have to CLIMB miles back to the car at the end. If you're going to do this ride, start down by the Meadows Group campground and finish with a sweet, sweet DH.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I always look for the quickest access to the TH so I stop at Little Scraggy. Maybe I'm delirious, but it seemed to flow pretty well in both directions though. Climbing is minimal compared to 99% of the other trails in the area. To the OP...yes, BC presents many great options. You really can't go wrong with any of them.