mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Buffalo Creek - Too early to ride?

Is Buffalo Creek mountian bike area ridable yet? If it isn't when will it be? I am looking for a new ride for this weekend within and hour or so from denver. Any other suggestions. Looking for a nice long ride other than the usual Denver/Boulder front range trails.

Thanks!

Product engineer
    Yes its ridable did it sunday, was drier than i expected it to be
    FLIGHT BIKES bikes by Colorado riders.
    Like us on FaceBook!

mutaullyassuredsuffering

It's been dry for months

minus a few weekends here and there. With the decomposed granite base (and no soil) is doesn't get muddy. Even after this rain, it will be fine this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

thanks!

thanks......i'll probably give it a try this afternoon then if weather permits....whats the best way to put together a 12 to 17 mile ride their

mtbr member
    Personally, I like to start at the Forest Service work center right in Buffalo Creek, head up Road 543 (a great, mellow warm up) to the Gashouse Gulch Trail, take that up to the Miller Gulch Trail, hang a right, take that a couple hundred yards to your first left (Homestead Trail, I think). Go up another couple hundred yards to Charlie's Cutoff, fly down to the Homestead Trail (this I'm sure of), hang a right and take that to the Sandy Wash Trail. All downhill from here !!! Don't miss the left turn right before you hit road 543 again, about another mile or so of fun trail that parallels the road. Left at the road back to your car. This is between 15 and 16 miles and is a great basic ride up there. Whatever you end up doing, enjoy!!!

crashes in parkinglot
    funny that is also one of my favorite rides though i think some of the proportions might be a bit off, the climb up to baldy or baldy peak trail is long and some parts very steep. (though maybe i'm thinking of a different route)

I also recomend getting over to the south side of the park as well along the Colorado Trail. and the small loop (either green or bear mountain can't remember names). Everything is good overthere. but the main road that goes through the middle is a great warm up. Wear your sunscreen, lots of non-shaded areas.