Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Buffalo Creek (Pine, CO) route recommendations?

I just relocated to the Denver/Boulder area I have a few days before I start working. I road Betasso monday, Heil Valley from the Picture Rock trailhead tuesday, and Flatirons Vista/Doudy Draw/Marshal Mesa are yesterday. I took today off to be productive around my new apartment but tomorrow I'd like to check out Buffalo Creek. Since there are trails all over I was hoping to get some input on a good route. I'm on a 1X10 hardtail and coming from living at 500' of elevation, something in the 2 hour range with out any crazy death climbs would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Ryan The VW Tech; 11-08-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fixed title

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Buff creek trail head parking lot, to Shinglemill, to Morrison Creek, to Gashouse, to Charlies cut off, sandy wash. A good fun loop

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Where would I be able to find detailed info on where the trailhead is? I'm having a hard time tracking that info down. All I could find is this map but it doesn't show parking

Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol | Maps Page

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can park several places for Buff Creek. Pine Valley open space is he first one you come to going south on CR 126. That gives you access to Buck Gulch and Strawberry Jack.

Go a few miles further wesy and you'll come to the town Buffalo Creek. Turn off onto FR 523 and that gets you to Sandy Wash, Shinglemill, Morrison Creek, etc.

Go further still on CR 126 and you can park at Little Scraggly which is where the Colorado trail is.

There are other TH on the West side of the area that you can get to via Bailey.

<100%
    Stop in at a LBS. There is a real nice map out there with Buff Creek on one side and Indian Creek on the other.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Fr 543 not 523

That is a great place to start !
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Link to map

Here is a link to a map of Buffalo Creek:

Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol | Maps Page

Note: This map doesn't show the new connector trail "Nice Kitty" which connects Sandy Wash to Buffalo Burn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like climbing Buck Gulch, over to Charlies, left to Rasperry Ridge/Blackjack (skip if you aren't into technical riding), down Sandy right to Gashouse down Strawberry..

mtbr member
    Park at the small pullout where the CT crosses Hwy126 > go up the CT> Right, Buffalo Burn>Right, CT> Right, Shingle mill> Right on 543 > Right, go up Nice kitty.(Its new and not on the map, this will take you up to buffalo burn, go left on buffalo burn to get back to the car.)

mtbr member
    http://coloradotrailblazers.org/wp-c...te-8-18-12.jpg
    The only map of nice Kitty I can find.

Chronic 1st-timer
    543 Lot
    I'm a firm believer in always parking at the bottom, so that you finish on a descent.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    543 Lot
    I'm a firm believer in always parking at the bottom, so that you finish on a descent.
    With age comes wisdom...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    543 lot
    i'm a firm believer in always parking at the bottom, so that you finish on a descent.

+1....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can someone give an overview of the new trail, nice kitty?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    From the Buff creek parking lot,Trail head, it is to the left just past the first gate. You will see the trail there. As others have said, much better going up it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    From the Buff creek parking lot,Trail head, it is to the left just past the first gate. You will see the trail there. As others have said, much better going up it.
    That's what I feel as-well. On Nice kitty, there a few sections that are fun going down, but for me, Shingle mill is so much better/fun for the descent. Nice kitty just doesn't flow all that well in a lot of sections. Maybe those better lines will wear in over time.

mtbr member

nice kitty

I finally got some recon on Nice Kitty. I ended up doing it both ways and the views on the descent really caught me off guard. I'm not used to big sweeping views at BC, not sure why, maybe I never look up. It is a great connector, thanks to all that put time/effort into it. For the OP, favorite loop for short mileage is from 543 lot, up 543 to Baldy/Charlies/Sandy back to car - about 15 miles I think. Longer loop from 543 lot, up Nice Kitty/CT/Redskin Creek/Gashouse/Charlies/Sandy Wash back to car. Probably 25ish miles? Don't miss Blackjack if you like technical riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds like you have a lot of good choices, I'll add one more. There are still a bunch of trails I haven't ridden yet

Start at Park at Pine Valley Ranch, which is about 6 miles east of the Pine Junction intersection of 285 & 126.

Ride Narrow Gauge Trail (starts at the bathroom) to the 2nd bridge (1st bridge is right at the bathroom), left over the bridge and then stay right. Follow to the intersection of Buck Gulch & Strawberry Jack. Follow Buck Gulch (right fork) Up Up Up Up Up to Skipper. Left on Skipper to the 4-way intersection with Homestead & Strawberry Jack. Turn right here until you see the sign for Charlie's Cutoff (this could be the most fun in the whole park, but it is all pretty damn good). Left onto Charlie's cutoff. At the bottom of Charlie's, turn right onto Homestead, continue past stream crossing and trail turns into Sandy Wash. Plan to change your underwear if you have any on because you've had so much fun up to this point and will be having lots more. Continue on Sandy Wash to the forest road and turn right. Go about 2 miles on the forest road to Shinglemill on the left. Here's a fun climb. Go about 2 miles to a right turn onto Morrison Creek back to the forest road. Turn left to continue on the forest road. Just ahead, maybe 1/2 mile on right is access to Baldy & Gashouse. Go up a couple hundred yards to the junction of Baldy & Gashouse. Take either one up (Gashouse is longer, less steep & more fun - Baldy is shorter, steeper & more fun). Yes, they are both more fun. When you get to the top intersection of Baldy & Gashouse...on gashouse keep going straight, baldy, go right to Miller Gulch. Right onto MIller Gulch, then quick left on Homestead. Holy Cow, what do you know, you're back to the top of Charlie's Cutoff...YEAH!!! Right on Charlies...again!!! Left at the bottom on Homestead....back to the 4-way intersection with Homestead. Right to Strawberry Jack at the 4-way and then back to Pine Valley Ranch Park...about 26 miles. Man, it was fun just writing this up.

connect.garmin.com/activity/169520325

If you find some idiot frozen to death on one of these trails this weekend, it just might be me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I parked at the lot off Buffalo Creek starting from there I went down Buffalo Creek, left on Shinglemill, right on Colorado Trail, right onto Redskin Creek, right on Gashouse, left on Baldy, right onto Miller Gulch, first left then first right onto Charlies Cutoff, merge right onto Sandy Wash and take it back to Buffalo Creek Road, take a left and the lot is down the road.

Awesome ride, I was not expecting 3800+ feet of climbing, it was a rough ride but the trail was great!

Trips for Kids Denver
    Love, love, love spending long days out there. Did 75 miles once and have been a better, stronger rider since.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    I parked at the lot off Buffalo Creek starting from there I went down Buffalo Creek, left on Shinglemill, right on Colorado Trail, right onto Redskin Creek, right on Gashouse, left on Baldy, right onto Miller Gulch, first left then first right onto Charlies Cutoff, merge right onto Sandy Wash and take it back to Buffalo Creek Road, take a left and the lot is down the road.

Awesome ride, I was not expecting 3800+ feet of climbing, it was a rough ride but the trail was great!
    Thats one of my favorite loops in BC! You really can't go wrong there...
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone know if these trails are clear right now?

Bad Andy!
    Hey cytoe, it's Andy - talked to you briefly at the Thankspinning ride about lights, Scar, etc.

These trails are great to ride pretty much year round, and should be really good right now.
    Someone else will probably chime in that actually knows within the past day or 2, but they are mostly decomposed granite, so they hold up great with a little moisture.
    Watch out for any lurking/hidden ice patches.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    ...Watch out for any lurking/hidden ice patches.
    ...and coyotes.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Bad Andy!
    ...and coyotes.
    Speaking of Scar
    And the long lost guacamole/avboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast