Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This place is wasteland

Buffalo Creek, More Hike than Bike

I really needed a day off from work, so I took one and grabbed my bike.

But forgot my glasses... Good thing my truck is filled with my kids crap!
    P1000368

I had hoped the forcefield around BC held during the last storm. I was wrong.
    P1000376

I tried to climb Nice Kitty
    P1000380

There was a little bit of riding
    P1000382

But for the most part hiked

P1000373

Eventually I decided to turned back for what I thought would be an awesome downhill, but still had a hard time riding
    P1000385

Also tried to ride 543 to shinglemill and surrendered as well. I did a couple laps on lower sandy. At least that was fun!

Its gonna need some more time, even on a fatty!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    you will start something with those rad glasses. Sure nice to see some snow in the mountains again. Might have some flowers this spring.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Why again did you *not* go skiing?

This place is wasteland
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Why again did you *not* go skiing?
    I like the cartilage and ligaments in my knees intact.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    I like the cartilage and ligaments in my knees intact.
    That which doesn't blow up your knees... only makes them stronger.

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Buffalo Creek, More Hike than Bike

Guac, good on ya man!

Thats no easy day, but still a better day than being at work :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for breaking trail and posting the pics. I'm thinking about renting a fatbike and going there, hoping for snow and no mud. Looks like it laid in pretty good. Now, which trails did you pack out for me?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Soooo... it's been a week... with the projected high temps this weekend, what would you say are the chances of riding a non-snow bike out there next week?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    There is not too much snow there right now. Buffalo Creek only received 4" of snow from the "big" storm last weekend and it has all melted. The trails will be soft and wet in spots with a few chunks of snow and ice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Good to know! OMG I will be the happiest girl alive if I get to ride Buff Creek next week!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    fireclimber, how recently were you out there?

I'm with stupid
    Also interested in a trail report.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I rode there early this morning. It was still frozen but thawing fast. It is going to be very wet and sloppy this weekend. Probably should wait another week.

Jon
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    fireclimber - what trails did you ride? A friend in Pine told me some of the trails were still sloppy, but thought heading up Nice Kitty and out to Chair Rocks would be good.

Longing for Spring
    Feb 2012
    Wondering how nice kitty and Sandy wash are. Maybe rideable by next weekend with just rain in the forecast?

This place is wasteland
    I got a trail report from a friend that rode out there Friday. He said that the burn areas are looking pretty good, but there was still a lot of slop. He thought the CT out to Chair Rocks would be clear by yesterday.

MGE is out there this morning, maybe he will post up a trail report when he gets back!

Jon
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We rode Nice Kitty today. There were 3 or 4 short muddy sections near the bottom, but it's completely clear otherwise and rideable without any damage to the trail as long as you don't plow through the little muddy bits. I didn't ride Sandy Wash, so no info on that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode out there yesterday and it is drying quick. Nice Kitty was a little sloppy in sections, lots of moist dirt that made the climb tougher than usual. Chair rocks has one section that was definitely hike a bike for a while. It's where it swings to the left and is always the last spot to dry out. After that a few snow spots that held a decent amount of snow but i was able to ride through and accelerate the melt. Charlie's is still a bit sloppy.
    Jon, it was good to see you yesterday. I did not recognize you until you were already past. Always easy to spot the papa smurf helmet

Jon
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah - I saw that smurf blue a mile away, Chad Good to see you too - glad you got out there to ride!

We rode out to Chair Rocks too, and I'll echo Chad's comment - the one section that hugs the north side and is sheltered from the wind is a significant hike-a-bike, still a lot of snow and mud and probably will be until next weekend. The other snowy sections on the CT up to Chair Rocks have that kitty litter surface that drains fast, so you can just ride through through them without doing damage. If you don't mind that one snowy section (probably 400m) it's a nice ride.

Goat of Legend
    Rode Strawberry Jack, Charlie's Cuttoff, Sandy Wash, Hello Kitty, Buffalo Burn, Ct, Shinglemill, 543, Baldy, Homestead, Strawberry Jack yesterday.. All trails were in good shape with some moisture on them in places with the only signifcant mud at the bottom of Shinglemiil. Top and bottom of Strawberry held a little snow, ice, bottom of Sandy Wash had a little ice in the creek, Buffalo Burn and CT had a some yards long sections of icy snow, and Baldy had a few short sections of icy snow, 543 was very icy but rideable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone have any new updates?

Jon
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Umm - there's a crapload of snow on the ground and nothing is clear to ride unless you've got a fat bike?

I guess you really want to hear from guacamole or mountaingoatepics about where they've been riding their snow bikes, right?

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Umm - there's a crapload of snow on the ground and nothing is clear to ride unless you've got a fat bike?

I guess you really want to hear from guacamole or mountaingoatepics about where they've been riding their snow bikes, right?
    Actually, word is from a friend who lives up there is that there was only 2-4 inches that fell in BC and he rode it on a SS with 2.1 tires

Jon
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hah - mea culpa. Sorry to mouth off without knowing :-/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast