mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Buffalo Creek & Hunters

Hey, just a heads up, not that there is much anyone can do about it other than stay away during hunting season. But I figured that I'd share anyway.

I had a great ride out there today. I was heading down Gashouse toward the intersection with Baldy and saw something peculiar. It wasn't until I came up the berm that I realized it was a kid in sniper position on top of the berm with his rifle aimed at me. As I came upon him, he jumped up looking real guilty. This kid was maybe 11 years old. His father & little brother were right there. The father was sitting there eating a sandwich (white bread, not sure what was inside, sorry for the lack of detail) and the little brother, maybe 7 years old, playing with his rifle, seemingly only a danger to himself. (Sorry kid, you can't pick your parents).

I didn't stop. I didn't feel comfortable confronting folks with guns, especially stupid folks with guns. I just yelled at them to not aim toward trails and got no response. Maybe I should have stopped and offered to take a family portrait for them so I would have a record of them.

I talked to the Forest service dude at the Buffalo Creek ranger station. He agreed that it sucked but that there was nothing to be done about it. So I am left with no options but to rant on the interwebs.

I'm all for father/son activities and if guns and hunting are your thing, great, just don't endanger others with your stupidity.

I crossed paths with several other hunters during the ride and they were all courteous and seemed to understand gun safety.

Anyway, here is hunting season schedule if, like me, you prefer to ride elsewhere for a few weeks.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...untPlanner.pdf

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    made me think of this

yeah it sucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Time for that bright orange camelbak and jacket. I used to hunt more than I do now (medial reasons), and when that addrenaline starts kicking in from hearing something come down through the woods, I'd get excited. Bright colors are about the only defnese this time of year.

And don't get in a fight with anyone that has a gun. Good bet, they'd win.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Not trying to defend the mouthbreathers, but people need to understand they are out there. Riding in the woods during hunting season without wearing blaze orange on every possible square inch of your body is like road riding at night without a headlight and a blinky. I'd feel sorry for you if you died, but there would be a part of me saying WTF were you thinking?

I took hunter safety a few years ago and 95% of the people there obviously got it, and a couple obviously didn't. Kind of like driving.

Consider this: things are a lot safer than they used to be. Colorado averages about two fatal and 10 non-fatal hunting accidents each year. In the 1960's, when the population was a fraction what it is now, there were years when there were over a dozen hunting fatalities!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A couple points of clarification:
    - I was wearing a bright shirt as I usually do when I ride, I guess I'm just fancy that way
    - the section of trail where this happened is just ankle high grass for several hundred yards

The kid knew EXACTLY what he was pointing his rifle at.

Upon the advice I received, I checked in with CO Parks & Wildlife and they said, which I guess is obvious, that they couldn't do anything without a name of the hunter. If they had the identity, they certainly would pursue it. But also, contrary to what some folks have told me, the Wildlife guy said there are no rules about where hunters can position themselves or what direction they can aim regarding multi-use trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    In that case, stupid kid. My dad would have smacked me and taken the gun away for the rest of the season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Inbreeding has no cure. Be careful and watchful out there. As tempted as you are near Halloween, do not dress up like an animal there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by levinro View Post
    A couple points of clarification:
    - I was wearing a bright shirt as I usually do when I ride, I guess I'm just fancy that way
    - the section of trail where this happened is just ankle high grass for several hundred yards

The kid knew EXACTLY what he was pointing his rifle at.

Upon the advice I received, I checked in with CO Parks & Wildlife and they said, which I guess is obvious, that they couldn't do anything without a name of the hunter. If they had the identity, they certainly would pursue it. But also, contrary to what some folks have told me, the Wildlife guy said there are no rules about where hunters can position themselves or what direction they can aim regarding multi-use trails.
    A "bright shirt" is not the same as 500 sq. inches of blaze orange (the legal requirement for hunters). Just sayin'. Hunters train themselves to look for blaze orange. A lot of it.

As an example of what you are up against, there are about a dozen moose killed illegally in Colorado each year, because people mistake the moose for a deer or elk. Roll that around in your head, and I'm pretty sure you'll be getting some blaze orange.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Saw 2 guys cleaning a deer they'd shot at the bottom of morrison creek Sunday afternoon. They were across the road and creek but I thought it was a little sketchy to have shot that close to the road. Although they might have drug it from a legal firing position I doubt they'd have drug it all the way to the creek without gutting the heavy sucker first. Oh well, blaze orange is definitely a smart item to wear this time of year. Just got back from riding 20 miles out there today and didn't see a single hunter though.

Shread Ready
    Wow, this is interesting. I've never seen hunters at BC and I usually go around this time of year. Sounds like those kids were a little young to be handling guns like that. Thanks for the heads-up since I plan on going there this week.

My leg feels funny
    I read this as

Quote Originally Posted by levinro View Post
    white beard, not sure what was inside, sorry for the lack of detail
    and got really curious as to why you thought something was in there

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Wow, this is interesting. I've never seen hunters at BC and I usually go around this time of year. Sounds like those kids were a little young to be handling guns like that. Thanks for the heads-up since I plan on going there this week.
    That's funny cause when I read this I automatically thought of all the times I've ridden Buff Creek and encountered idiots with guns. Also, it seems like a thread of this nature gets posted every year about this time. FWIW I own guns, that place just seems like a magnet for idiotic behavior.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    That's funny cause when I read this I automatically thought of all the times I've ridden Buff Creek and encountered idiots with guns. Also, it seems like a thread of this nature gets posted every year about this time. FWIW I own guns, that place just seems like a magnet for idiotic behavior.
    Yeah, I've never run into them @ BC. It's usually a nice place of solace and no noise. I thought most the idiotic gun behavior was at Rampart Range. At least it used to be. Oh well, I hope to have a nice day @ BC this week!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are slowly phasing out recreational shooting out at BC. It has gotten so much better from years past. They even have a big sign that says no shooting when you get to the little scraggy trailhead. Hunting is still permitted but I feel much safer around hunters versus drunk idiots shooting anything in sight.
    Which reminds me of one of my favorite songs by Nine Pound Hammer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012