mtbr member

Buffalo Creek- First impressions with pictures

So after all the hype and buzz about Buffalo Creek, I finally had to go and give it a whirl myself. My brother came out from Atlanta for the weekend, and we set up camp off of FR550 and got in some sick riding. After riding the Springs trail system for years, I was stoked to get some long climbs and some loooong descends! I'll be heading back here again soon! Thanks to SomethingRelatedToBiking for the great trail recommendations!
    And man was the ASR5 too much bike, except for Blackjack and Raspberry Ridge Trail.

Pre Ride..

Blackjack Trail

Raspberry Ridge up and back!

And finished the ride with Skipper and down Buck Gulch

mtbr member
    Great shots. I need to get back out there. I ride a Specialized Enduro with a Lyrik and mannnn did that feel like a lot of bike getting to and from Blackjack.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrunk View Post
    Great shots. I need to get back out there. I ride a Specialized Enduro with a Lyrik and mannnn did that feel like a lot of bike getting to and from Blackjack.
    This is certainly correct. Black Jack, while an awesome trail is sort of the red headed step child out there. The rest of Buff creak is a bit too buff for my liking. Regardless, great place to bang out 30 miles.

Shread Ready
    Thanks for the stoke! I still have yet to hit BlackJack. I think I'll hit it up tomorrow!

Goat Head
    Nice, Andrew. Glad you had fun out there. That place is just so flowy--one of the best concentrations of Colorado single track. Blackjack is cool and all, but it just doesn't fit in with all the rest. I've ridden and liked it, but if I'm going to make the drive out there I'd rather bring the right bike for all the rest of that trail system: short travel FS or hardtail. I really should get out there next week before snow covers it all up. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingRelatedToBiking View Post
    Nice, Andrew. Glad you had fun out there. That place is just so flowy--one of the best concentrations of Colorado single track. I really should get out there next week before snow covers it all up. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday.
    Better do that before Monday !

Shread Ready
    I was out there yesterday. Some epic riding for sure! I road up Nice Kitty but next time I'd like to go down it! I had a great loop! I needed some epic riding and BC delivered as always! Great time. I did see a few guys with rifles over their shoulders walking up 543 as I was leaving. But these are the type of guys I'd be concerned if they didn't have guns.

Here's my Route.

Up Nice Kitty > Down 1776 > Down Shinglemill > Up Baldy > Down Charlies Cutoff > Down Sandy Wash.

The highlight was each and every downhill!

Buffalo Creek Loop by dawgdude at Garmin Connect - Details

I think I might go back tomorrow.

mtbr member
    My normal riding partner has family obligations maņana so he can't ride. If anyone is riding bc tomorrow what time are y'all going and can I meet up? I hate riding areas with limited cell coverage solo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    I did see a few guys with rifles over their shoulders walking up 543 as I was leaving. But these are the type of guys I'd be concerned if they didn't have guns.
    I passed 3 guys about 2/3rd the way up Nice Kitty early this afternoon who had downed a deer about 50ft off the trail and were trying to figure out which way was going to be the the shortest route to cart it out. I didn't see any more hunters or hear any shots on the rest of my ride, but they were out there I'm sure... It's definitely a good idea to wear some loud colors out there.

mtbr member
    Such a great area out there! Glad you had fun!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wankel View Post
    I passed 3 guys about 2/3rd the way up Nice Kitty early this afternoon who had downed a deer about 50ft off the trail and were trying to figure out which way was going to be the the shortest route to cart it out. I didn't see any more hunters or hear any shots on the rest of my ride, but they were out there I'm sure... It's definitely a good idea to wear some loud colors out there.
    I don't have anything against hunting, but BC is not a good place to hunt or shoot from a public safety point of view. Way too much trail density where a stray bullet could kill someone. BUT, since hunting is allowed the point is moot and yep, I'd wear bright colors and leave the dear antler costume at home.

Shread Ready

Idea!

Yeah, BC is a great area for riding! Went out again today since it was such a nice day. Good times!

I didn't see any hunters today. I'm hoping that the hunters that hunt there are sober and consciences of where the trails are and don't shoot anywhere near them. I don't know though since I haven't seen them in action.

Todays Loop. Highlight was going down Gashouse. Nice Kitty was pretty good going down but not as fun as I was hoping.

Buffalo Creek by dawgdude at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    I was the first one out there at 830 this morning, it was cold for a little while. I didn't see anyone for the first hour then I think all of Colorado Springs showed up and couldn't find one another. Every other group I ran into asked if I was with the CS group. The trail is in great shape and hopefully I can get a couple more rides before snowboarding season.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I too road BC on Sunday. Despite the overflowing parking area at the BC TH, as is normal at BC everyone we ran into on the trail was polite and friendly. That place is big enough that it doesn't seem crowded. 98% of the folks going DH yielded to climbers by coming to a stop rather than riding off the trail.

Rode up Shinglemill>Morrison creek>Baldy>Gashouse>Redskin>CT>Green Mtn>CT>Buff Burn>Nice Kitty. Great Loop and trails were in good shape with the exception of a few sections here and there that are getting hammered with braking bumps or getting wider from people blowing out of turns or going around roots, around trees, etc. For the most part though, the place takes all the use pretty well.

It's really nice of the folks from (if I understand it correctly) the town of BC to put up that tent and stock it with goodies. Don't forget to slip a few bucks in the donation tube!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i love the addition of BlackJack, it makes me ride there more often as I felt without it, it was a bit boring.. My favorite loop is up Buck Gulch, over to Charlies to Homestead to BlackJack, down Sandy Wash, double track over to Baldy, climb up, Down Strawberry.. almost the perfect 3 to 4 hours ride (depending on the company)..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    It's really nice of the folks from (if I understand it correctly) the town of BC to put up that tent and stock it with goodies. Don't forget to slip a few bucks in the donation tube!
    Was there last week and didn't pay much attention to the new tent on the way out of the lot but then realized what was there on the way back in. Could hardly believe it. Some awesome trailhead hospitality, right there.