Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

buff creek to waterton

804 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Stefan_G 
#1 ·
looking for a decent ride for a send-off to a friend moving away...

from what i gather, doing this section of the CT in this direction is the preferred route (a bit less climbing overall). i don't have my CO TRAIL HANDBOOK handy, so was wondering what the mileage is and about how long it would take (at a decidedly mellow pace). ;)

any info appreciated from those who've ridden this before.

thanks.

#2 ·
gotdirt said:
looking for a decent ride for a send-off to a friend moving away...

from what i gather, doing this section of the CT in this direction is the preferred route (a bit less climbing overall). i don't have my CO TRAIL HANDBOOK handy, so was wondering what the mileage is and about how long it would take (at a decidedly mellow pace). ;)

any info appreciated from those who've ridden this before.

thanks.
Well, considering my CT handbook is just about committed to memory, I suppose I ought to reply...

Segments 1 & 2 (Waterton Canyon to FS-550) total 26 miles with 4500' of gain. In reverse, the gain would only be ~2000', most of which is the climb up from the S. Platte River. Assuming your decidedly mellow pace involves frequent breaking, but not unnecessary braking :p , I would think 4-5 hours is about right.

If you start from Buffalo Creek town instead of the TH, you can hang a left just after the Firehouse and pick up the trail from there. This cuts about 1.5 miles off the trail, but adds a 2-3 mile paved climb from Buff Creek.

#3 ·
That sounds about right. It is a great ride. Once you get back into Waterton Canyon, you can do the Roxbourgh Loop for a little extra fun.

From the start, it rolls for the first 5 miles or so. Then it has a short steep climb then a great descent down to the river. It is a long climb to the top of the mtn from the Platte though. There are parts that have no shade and if it get's hot, you start to feel it.

Then it is some rocking single track back to the rock wall and then the short climb back to the bench at the top of Waterton.

Almost everyone knows the Roxbourgh loop and descent back to the road and to the parking lot.

#7 ·
FrontRanger said:
Lightweight FS is the best way to go.
word, ain't that (almost) always the case. ;)

i'm still nursing a gimpy hand, so looks like the bontrager will stay home that day.

yo stefanG-- just noticed your rotating avatar... had a pint just last night at mountain sun (IPA). :thumbsup:

#8 ·
gotdirt said:
word, ain't that (almost) always the case. ;)

i'm still nursing a gimpy hand, so looks like the bontrager will stay home that day.

yo stefanG-- just noticed your rotating avatar... had a pint just last night at mountain sun (IPA). :thumbsup:
MMMmmmmountain Sun. Yum, yum! You'll see me there almost every Tuesday all year long. :D Wear a Mtn. Sun T-shirt on Tuesday, and you get happy hour pints ($2.25) all night long!!! No, I'm not sponsored by them, but I sure would love to be!

Hope your hand heals up. I'm nursing some sort of weird neuromuscular damage in my hands too from the CTR. Have a great ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.