Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Buff Creek is the sandiest I've ever seen it right now

Just a PSA. I did about 20 miles out there Sunday. It's like a Cali beach in most spots. The sand is DEEP. The uphills are like pedaling through quicksand and the downhills are super sketch. Make sure you have tires that are good for it. I couldn't get any bite or dig with my tires so I was floating on the top and sliding all over the place. I even shot off the trail 2 or 3 times cause I couldn't turn. A lot of the sand is right in the turns so you come on it and slide like crazy. Parts of it were still fun, and anything is rideable, but for me it was pretty Meh. I'd rather ride other Front Range trails right now, especially with it being an hour and a half drive for me. Not worth it to me personally. I've had some fun out there at times, but not sure what the love affair is with Buffalo Creek really. To hear some people talk about it you'd think it was the local Fruita or Moab.

If anyone is wondering, the route we took was up Buck Gulch to Strawberry Jack, down Gashouse, up Baldy, then Charlies Cutoff to Homestead, down Strawberry Jack and Buck Gulch back to the Pine Valley Ranch parking lot. Maybe the other side is better. I couldn't say. I haven't ridden it yet this season.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    The other side is better. I was up there on Sunday too. Parked at 543 lot, rode up shinglemill, out the CT, up and down Green Mtn and back. The descent down the west side of Green Mtn was all-time. I thought the trails were in great shape. There was some rain on Saturday which tends to pack down the base in a lot of areas but leaves ball bearings on top.

My advice to you is don't park at Pine Valley and avoid Buck and Strawberry. I rode from that side once and will never do that again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Uncle Buck is that relative you never like seeing!! I never park at pine valley either. This time of year becomes really loose at BC unless we can get some decent thunderstorms. In my opinion BC rides best in the winter time

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Apparently you didn't read the post I put up in the Trail Conditions thread at the top of the page.

I agree... it's not much fun to ride right now.

Colorado
    Buffalo Creek is typically a place I've only gone in the spring. Once the higher elevation rides start opening up, I don't go back to BC. I agree that it does get sandy and it's really a good intermediate place to ride. Nothing too crazy up there (except Blackjack).

What is getting BC all the PR now is the new Blackjack trail. That trail is pretty sweet.

Just go to BC after a rainfall and it will be a ton better.

I do like the set-up there. No motor vehicles, remote location and it's pretty easy to get away from crowds--even if the parking lot is full.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    It's like a Cali beach in most spots.
    the last time i checked, that area of colombia is not on the coast

nope, still not on the coast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Apparently you didn't read the post I put up in the Trail Conditions thread at the top of the page.

I agree... it's not much fun to ride right now.
    You're right. I never really thought to check the trail conditions thread in the summer. I only check it in the early spring/late fall when looking out for mud.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Yup..very sandy indeed...almost took a spill on few turns.

mtbr member
    I did SingleMill->CT->Redskin->up Gashouse->Charlie's Cutoff->Homestead(?)->Sandy Wash on Sunday. It was all pretty much as expected until Charlie's Cutoff, then the sand got a little dicey. That's still my favorite route though with that long decent at the end. For the life of me, since I started doing it in that direction, I can't understand why anyone would climb Sandy Wash -> Homestead, etc. unless that's just the quickest way to Blackjack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    rode this trail a few weeks ago (1st time) and yeah.. it kinda sucked. Rode almost the same route u did OP

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufhausen View Post
    I For the life of me, since I started doing it in that direction, I can't understand why anyone would climb Sandy Wash -> Homestead, etc. unless that's just the quickest way to Blackjack.
    Variety? Enjoy other loops in different directions? Avoid being predictable?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Variety? Enjoy other loops in different directions? Avoid being predictable?
    You just gotta go for it, man.

Rigid in Evergreen
    When it is hot and dry, I prefer the out-n-back from Little Scraggy on the CT, more trees, more shade and fewer sandy sections. I always wonder how long it will be before trees start growing in a meaningful way in the burn areas.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    When it is hot and dry, I prefer the out-n-back from Little Scraggy on the CT, more trees, more shade and fewer sandy sections. I always wonder how long it will be before trees start growing in a meaningful way in the burn areas.
    Geez - do yourself a favor and park at the bottom where the group campground is if you're gonna do an out-n-back.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Trees? Who needs trees. The new trail will be 10 miles of treed bliss, Through in the rest of the treed BC and it will be a decent shady loop. Of course, this gets done quicker if people turn out to help. So, I'm putting the bug in everyone's ear now. Next year will be declared the year of Shady New Trails.

Go Bedrock! Twist! Twist!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Trees? Who needs trees. The new trail will be 10 miles of treed bliss, Through in the rest of the treed BC and it will be a decent shady loop. Of course, this gets done quicker if people turn out to help. So, I'm putting the bug in everyone's ear now. Next year will be declared the year of Shady New Trails.

Details of where/when for the trail build?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by zendog View Post
    Details of where/when for the trail build?
    Waiting on the USFS to approve the corridor (need to do the archaeology and biology review of what we flagged). Most likely, building will begin next year and with any luck most will be machine built (at least the initial cut). That will help get it done quickly.

There's a good stretch that already has a trail. We'll need to just clean it up a little. It is pretty cool though. Can't tell if it is an old social trail or game trail. Though, I think it was an old mining trail. A couple of really nice Aspen meadows, some old growth trees (Aspen size aspens). Really cool area. Not like Rasberry or Blackjack. This will be south of CT.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Waiting on the USFS to approve the corridor (need to do the archaeology and biology review of what we flagged). Most likely, building will begin next year and with any luck most will be machine built (at least the initial cut). That will help get it done quickly.

There's a good stretch that already has a trail. We'll need to just clean it up a little. It is pretty cool though. Can't tell if it is an old social trail or game trail. Though, I think it was an old mining trail. A couple of really nice Aspen meadows, some old growth trees (Aspen size aspens). Really cool area. Not like Rasberry or Blackjack. This will be south of CT.
    I know the area of which you speak... we didn't ride it a few years back because I refuse to play the "wander through 100 downed trees" game.

Will this trail go through Kelsey Campground?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I know the area of which you speak... we didn't ride it a few years back because I refuse to play the "wander through 100 downed trees" game.

Will this trail go through Kelsey Campground?
    We actually turn slightly north just before the downfall. Besides, it drops too much elevation after that.

There will most likely be a spur trail into the campground. Idea is to end by Scraggy parking and by GM/CT on the other end.

I am pretty psyched about this trail. Especially, the part on the old trail. It's a sweet area with lots of potential swoopiness and not so many marbles.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Just a PSA. I did about 20 miles out there Sunday. It's like a Cali beach in most spots. The sand is DEEP. The uphills are like pedaling through quicksand and the downhills are super sketch. Make sure you have tires that are good for it. I couldn't get any bite or dig with my tires so I was floating on the top and sliding all over the place. I even shot off the trail 2 or 3 times cause I couldn't turn. A lot of the sand is right in the turns so you come on it and slide like crazy. Parts of it were still fun, and anything is rideable, but for me it was pretty Meh. I'd rather ride other Front Range trails right now, especially with it being an hour and a half drive for me. Not worth it to me personally. I've had some fun out there at times, but not sure what the love affair is with Buffalo Creek really. To hear some people talk about it you'd think it was the local Fruita or Moab.

Sounds like you need more practice, and better disciprin. Go to Valmont bike park, ride the Sand Box feature over and over again. Get good, return to Buffalo creek.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's like powder skiing on a bike.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Rode out Colo Tr and around Green Mountain Lp today. Those trails were nice and tacky. Great Ride!

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufhausen View Post
    I did SingleMill->CT->Redskin->up Gashouse->Charlie's Cutoff->Homestead(?)->Sandy Wash on Sunday. It was all pretty much as expected until Charlie's Cutoff, then the sand got a little dicey. That's still my favorite route though with that long decent at the end. For the life of me, since I started doing it in that direction, I can't understand why anyone would climb Sandy Wash -> Homestead, etc. unless that's just the quickest way to Blackjack.
    It's funny you say this. I've parked at Pine Valley Ranch every time I road BC. I've rode their about 5 times and each ride has been Epic! Now that I've gotten to know the area a little better I plan on parking off 543 and taking a route similar to this. Is the 543 parking lot easily identified when driving down 126?

However, I've typically rode their late in the fall for some reason. The conditions were always pretty good but Strawberry Jack usually has some washout gutter in the middle that's pretty sketch and almost took me out on the DH. Don't recall running into too much sand their except on Homestead. Charlies Cutoff was always really fun with quite a few nice rock rollers. Last time I did Skipper to Buck Gulch to finish off the day and Buck was awesome!

Here's last Oct tracks. I was just out adventuring taking my time as I usually do in BC country.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53030928

Can't wait to get back again.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Is the 543 parking lot easily identified when driving down 126?

You will need to turn west on 543 to find the lot. Coming from Pine the 543 turn off is just as you enter Buffalo Creek. If you pass the forestry office on left you have gone to far.

C

Rigid in Evergreen

Is this the trail that Team Evergreen is rumored to be working on at Buff Creek?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast