Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Buff Creek Experts ??

I did a search for Nice Kitty but info is limited it seems including a BC map with it included to get an idea of exactly where it connects with the other trails, ie- overall picture...

Is there a bridge as mentioned on the Nat Geo map ? Does it exist ? I looked for that trail about a month or so ago off 543 but never saw it, so went on to Shinglemill etc.

I am looking for a night time route from 543 lot that includes Sandy as a return to 543 without the usual big mileage to get to Sandy, would NK do that ?

Thanks for any info you can lend....
    Last edited by danaco; 11-14-2012 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Nice Kitty is on the South side of 543, Sandy Wash is on the North side, so it doesn't really factor in with Sandy Wash other than you can ride Sandy Wash either before or after Nice Kitty. Or both

But I don't know the current status of Nice Kitty or the bridge. That bridge has been in discussions for a very long period of time. Does anyone know if the trail has been officially opened or even if the official bridge has been completed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok for starters nice kitty is open, if you park at 543 lot its about a mile up on your left there is a big rock where the trail starts and then a bridge. When you riding up the fire road its just passed the beginning of sandy wash single track, if you come up to the sandy wash meets the fire road again you went to far. Nice kitty will take you to the scraggy lot from there you can ride the CO trail to shingle mill,etc. Going early this saturday if anyone interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    I did a search for Nice Kitty but info is limited it seems including a BC map with it included to get an idea of exactly where it connects with the other trails, ie- overall picture...

Is there a bridge as mentioned on the Nat Geo map ? Does it exist ? I looked for that trail about a month or so ago off 543 but never saw it, so went on to Shinglemill etc.

I am looking for a night time route from 543 lot that includes Sandy as a return to 543 without the usual big mileage to get to Sandy, would NK do that ?

Nice kitty to CO trail to shinglemill will give you 10+miles

mtbr member
    Here's a ride were I went down Nice Kitty. Personally I think the reverse of this route is more fun.

mtbr member
    If you take the new singletrack that parallels the road you will miss the Nice Kitty trail entrance as it dumps you out past it. So if you take the new singletrack, when you get to the road make a left and it is a few hundred feet or so on the right side.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Glad to hear it's open. I won't have to pound pavement to get from 543 to the CT area quickly anymore! Thanks for the heads up guys.
    Last edited by brettf; 11-14-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Bad Andy!
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post

543 lot>543>Nice Kitty (as mentioned, access off 543 to the south, but easy to miss as it is not marked. there is a temporary bridge down from a couple big rocks on south side of 543 - if you aren't looking down towards the river a bit past the gate, you'll miss it. Also as mentioned, better up than down).>Buff Burn>CT>Shinglemill(Morrison if ya want))>543>Lower Sandy>543>543 lot.
    Not sure on mileage, but that wouldn't be too big. Nice Kitty is a 4 mile climb to Buffalo Burn (not CT), but a nice grind - not difficult.
    Nice Kitty would not help you get the full Sandy experience any easier, as it is south off 543 rather than north (as mentioned by the infamous brettf).
    NK goes from 543 to Buff Burn. Not to CT or Scraggy TH.

Edit - Sorry - should read all responses 1st. This looks pretty much like Devildog's route (in reverse).
    Last edited by GIANTkiller; 11-14-2012 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You can access it just past the first gate. Look to the left and you will see the trail and the bridge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    543 lot>543>Nice Kitty (as mentioned, access off 543 to the south, but easy to miss as it is not marked. there is a temporary bridge down from a couple big rocks on south side of 543 - if you aren't looking down towards the river a bit past the gate, you'll miss it. Also as mentioned, better up than down).>Buff Burn>CT>Shinglemill(Morrison if ya want))>543>Lower Sandy>543>543 lot.
    Not sure on mileage, but that wouldn't be too big. Nice Kitty is a 4 mile climb to Buffalo Burn (not CT), but a nice grind - not difficult.
    Nice Kitty would not help you get the full Sandy experience any easier, as it is south off 543 rather than north (as mentioned by the infamous brettf).
    NK goes from 543 to Buff Burn. Not to CT or Scraggy TH.

Edit - Sorry - should read all responses 1st. This looks pretty much like Devildog's route (in reverse).
    So wait nice kitty doesn't connect to the scraggy TH or CO trail, then i guess there are 2 new trails at buffalo creek.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    So wait nice kitty doesn't connect to the scraggy TH or CO trail, then i guess there are 2 new trails at buffalo creek.
    Buffalo Burn has been around for quite awhile now - it is a trail that goes from the Scraggy Lot -> the "lower" portion of the CT near the highway crossing north of the Scraggy lot.

Bad Andy!
    NK connects into Buffalo Burn. Buffalo Burn is kinda new, but not too new, and it connects into CT on both ends. CT goes through Scraggy lot.
    Where NK hits BB, you are very close to CT and the lot.

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How quickly does Buff dry out? Rideable today? I'm new to the area...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    How quickly does Buff dry out? Rideable today? I'm new to the area...
    I've always found Buff Crik to be rideable even when it was actually raining. The decomposed granite drains extremely well and other than a few areas the mud threat is minimal...

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Good to hear!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Buffalo Burn has been around for quite awhile now - it is a trail that goes from the Scraggy Lot -> the "lower" portion of the CT near the highway crossing north of the Scraggy lot.
    OK thanks, kinda what i thought

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the great info, much appreiciated !

mtbr member
    Buff Creek is dry, right?
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    It was perfect yesterday.
    Not a MTBR legend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westwood View Post
    It was perfect yesterday.
    Yes perfect is the word, get out and enjoy,I'm sure this great weather won't last. And construction at nice kitty entrance so easy to find.

mtbr member
    Thanks I figured so, will make it a point to get up there for the holiday.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just to let you all know, construction of the bridge is in progress. I think the trail is still open during construction just be careful when you are at the bottom near the work area.

Ink

I hate bikes.
    DO NOT CLIMB QUEER KITTY. Worst climb in BC.
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

mtbr member
    Ha! I think it is great to finally have a harder climb at BC. Well, other than climbing blackjack which i saw a guy doing once
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast