Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Ha! I think it is great to finally have a harder climb at BC. Well, other than climbing blackjack which i saw a guy doing once
    Ever climb buck gulch? Kitty grinds at the start but I think the climbing from the pine side is harder still.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain AmerrickA View Post
    DO NOT CLIMB QUEER KITTY. Worst climb in BC.
    What? Your kidding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain AmerrickA View Post
    DO NOT CLIMB QUEER KITTY. Worst climb in BC.
    Buloshi, Buck Gulch is THE WORST out there. It's just relentless, but at least going down Skipper is pretty fun.

Kitty is steep and a grunt at the start, but once your through the tree's into the burn area it's pretty gradual and tame. This is coming from a 32x21 SS'er. Hell at least this will take you to the CT.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I went to BC today. The parking lot at the 543 TH was pretty much full. I rode 543>Gashouse>Redskin>CT>Buff Burn>Nice Kitty. No real snow anywhere. I kept thinking "this is late November??"

It was my first time on Nice Kitty. The trail has a little bit of everything except really difficult technical. A bit more curvaceous than the typical BC trail. There aren't too many places to really get into a big gear and haul a$$ like you can do on a lot of other BC trails. This will probably keep the trail from getting too chewed up with brake bumps.

Since I rode down rather than up, it's hard for me to say exactly what kind of climb I think it is. Other than the mile - mile and a half closest to the creek, I'd say it's a fairly easy, typical BC climb. A few of the little rock drops on the descent are probably fairly tough climbing moves. My impression is Buck Gulch would for sure be a harder climb.

Overall a nice addition to the BC trail system.

I hate bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    "this is late November??"
    Two years ago I remember I went for a ride on Christmas Eve and it was 75 degrees and dry outside down here in BC.. So nice!
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

mtbr member
    I have ridden Sweet Kitty up and down now and I think its a better climb than downhill, IMO. Its a harsh warm-up but puts a rider in the perfect spot to ride various configurations of trails and end back at your car on a downhill, which is the way I think most prefer.

Note: as of 11/24 Construction on the bridge was in progress but the temporary bridge is there. Btw, whats wrong with the temporary bridge? It seems completely adequate. The amount of earth and trees being moved around makes it seem that the bridge that is being constructed is bigger than needed, but I have not seen the approved plan. Finally the conditions at BC are as dry as they get. Plenty of sandy spots, but nothing unusual.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack View Post
    Btw, whats wrong with the temporary bridge? It seems completely adequate. The amount of earth and trees being moved around makes it seem that the bridge that is being constructed is bigger than needed, l.
    Looks like the bridge is being built to last. How long do you think that temporary bridge would last during typical high water, much less a flash flood?

mtbr member
    I dont know, assuming with all the dirt that is being moved the new bridge is going to be much larger than the temp bridge. There are a number of existing small bridges up and downstream that access private land that remind me of the temporary bridge's dimensions, but I have not looked at them with this point of view.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack View Post
    I dont know, assuming with all the dirt that is being moved the new bridge is going to be much larger than the temp bridge. There are a number of existing small bridges up and downstream that access private land that remind me of the temporary bridge's dimensions, but I have not looked at them with this point of view.
    Maybe I haven't paid that much attention to them, but most of the bridges across the creek are for access to the private property or old left overs from the days when there were campgrounds off the road and designed to support cars and trucks, pretty burly. The only one that I can think of that is a small, low foot bridge is at that really neat property that's on the west end of the road but like I said, I haven't paid that close attention and maybe I've missed a bridge or two.

Regardless, in the long run, I think we'll all be happy that they're overbuilding it now rather than groups like COMBA having to organize volunteer crews to replace less substantial structures every 6 or 7 years or so.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think you and I are thinking of the same foot bridge bridge very close to the 543 lot, I believe it is pretty new. Anyway, the new bridge will be great and Buffalo Creek is great, its been a lot of fun to watch it evolve and to ride there over the years... The area has a very unique story and a bright future.

mtbr member
    Bridge freeboard standards have changed for one. Post-fire bulked discharges may be another factor. Both those conditions might be why the bridge is higher and wider than expected. It is in Pike National Forest so the USFS would be the reviewing agency in that case. Those abutments are not typical USFS design so someone special requested those concrete blocks.

Looks well done and excited to see final construction.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Eight of us did a great night ride last Saturday starting from 543 lot to Nice Kitty (very cool new trail) buffalo Burn, CT, Shinglemill, lower last section of Sandy to lot. 14 miles, about 1500 ft climbing.

First time night ride at BC, a nice change from GM. Looking forward to more of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Incorporated Nice Kitty in Sundays ride and climbed it off the start. While you don't get much of a warmup as if you took 543 to Shinglemill, I like the trail and commend all who worked on it. I will probably ride it quite often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2