mtbr member

New question here. buff creek conditions -- ??

was hoping to get to buffalo creek tomorrow for the first time...

wondering what the status likely will be since we've seen snow/rain near golden.

anyone venture to guess? it's a bit of a drive to find the trail too wet.

thanks in advance.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

It's gonna be wet...

but the nice thing about decomposed granite, is that it doesn't get muddy. In the valleys and next to rivers/creeks where topsoil is present you can get some slop, but for the most part evergreen area and Buffalo creek is ridable in the rain.

I'll be there in the AM.

mtbr member

thanks...

good to know.

what time will you be there and what do you ride?

cheers,

terry
    -

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Sorry

Never checked the boards again. How was your ride?

mtbr member

... and if we just ... big smile!

ride was awesome... 42+ miles.

we got a really late start, but weather was great-- about 10 minutes of light snow and then sunshine the rest of the day.

that is some fun riding for sure! wish it were just a tad bit more "dirt" and less "gravel", but it definitely kept you aware of your line when cruisin' through the loose stuff. colorado trail was super nice too, but screaming down baldy was especially fun.

the guidebook says the fire was in 1996, but i'm assuming there a more recent one as well? so much of that area is blackened still.

i'll post some pix later.

and your ride?

terry
    -

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Fire

The Buffalo Creek fire was in the 90's and burnt the area from Buffalo creek (town) to the south. The Haymen fire was a few years ago ('02?) cooked all the Baldy/Gashouse/Homestead area, along with most of the South Platte to the Lost Creek Area.

I had a great time as well. You are right about the gravel, but it keeps you on your toes (sometimes your face...), and eliminates mud. I'll always pick that area or Evergreen if it has been wet. If you are going to head back up there PM me, and I'll try and meet you.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    ride was awesome... 42+ miles. terry
    What route did you take to get in a whole 42? Sounds like an epic!

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JimboCO
    What route did you take to get in a whole 42? Sounds like an epic!
    it felt like an epic...
    we got a very late start, so didn't even ride everything out there. i don't have the map w/ me, but we started on the east side and worked our way northwest then back east (sandywash? gashouse, baldy, miller, colorado trail, green mtn, etc.). stopped to eat for half hour and drove from the east side TH down to the southern TH so we wouldn't run out of daylight. we only did a little bit of repetition-- once by mistake after taking a wrong turn, and then again later purposefully so that we could ride down baldy again (what a blast!).

a few pix:

-

loco
    A couple of us rode BC that same day. We got a good 30+ miles in. It was a perfect day for it. Especially flying down Baldy and Strawberry Jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Buffalo Creek Fire History

The Buffalo Creek fire started in May of 1996 and burned about 12,000 acres. It started in the central part of Buffalo Creek and burned in a southeastly direction until it hit the South Platte River. But the subsequent flooding of Buffalo Creek caused just as much, if not more damage to the area. Due to the damage, Shinglemill and Morrison Creek trails were closed to all use until about three years ago. Also, there were several picnic areas and a campground along 543 Road that were permanently closed and the road itself was closed to all motorized traffic. The Colorado Trail out to Chair Rocks sustained the heaviest damage.

In June of 2000, the Hi Meadows fire burned the northern section of Buffalo Creek including Buck Gulch, Strawberry Jack, Homestead, Sandy Wash, etc. along with Pine Valley Ranch. Due to the excellent work of the Forest Service, all trails in this area were reopened to use only four weeks after the fire had been contained.

Then there's the infamous Haymen fire of 2002. It barely touched the south western border of the Buffalo Creek Recreation area and since there are no trails there, you really never get to see it.

We have been working with the Forest Service to produce a new trail map of the Buffalo Creek area that shows the various burn areas and it should be released within the month. We will be posting it on our web site when it becomes available. www.frmbp.org

Nice pics guys and glad you had a great time.