mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A buddy of mine just got back from a "bike tour" of Europe

He and his wife went for a wedding anniversary trip. I said but your wife doesn't ride, does she?

Turns out he wanted to bike, she wanted to lounge by the pool, they compromised and did a two week barge/bike tour. Eat and sleep on the barge, ride alongside the river/canal for 40 miles or so, your barge is waiting for you with all meals and lodging.

Why am I telling you this? I've seen stuff like this on Rick Steves and my guy just got back from one. France, Germany, uh, other countries over there. Everything was taken care of, all they had to do was show up. And pedal easily. Sounded pretty sweet. OK, back to your regularly scheduled Front Range Forum stuff.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Soulforce Cycling

A buddy of mine just got back from a "bike tour" of Europe

Sounds like a great compromise. I've been all over the world but never got to bike in a different country.
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

ragley blue pig x

Re: A buddy of mine just got back from a "bike tour" of Europe

Sounds great. Those canal boats are lucky if they exceed 8 mph though

in my dreams I sell the house and all the shi t thats in it (except my ragley blue pig x) buy an old coal barge convert it into a boat house and go up and down the union canal in Scotland. the canal goes right past my work so I can jump out and be at work in under 2 minutes by bike or 5 if I walk.

i can imagine its a bummer in winter when everything is frozen solid though

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Sounds great. Those canal boats are lucky if they exceed 8 mph though

in my dreams I sell the house and all the shi t thats in it (except my ragley blue pig x) buy an old coal barge convert it into a boat house and go up and down the union canal in Scotland. the canal goes right past my work so I can jump out and be at work in under 2 minutes by bike or 5 if I walk.

i can imagine its a bummer in winter when everything is frozen solid though
    Dream on, suckuh! This friend of mine, he doesn't tell many stories in the gym but he wanted to tell this one. His eyes kind of glazed over as he spoke of the days and days of just lazy pedaling, fine food and fine wine. No worries mate. Barge time. I kept asking the price of stuff from country to country and he finally admitted he didn't know. It was all taken care of by the tour company. Everything. i could do with a piece of that! The price he quoted for the both of them (not gonna tell) sounded reasonable.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ragley blue pig x

Re: A buddy of mine just got back from a "bike tour" of Europe

Guy I work with lives on the canal and claims its a lot cheaper than staying in a house. No council tax was about the only thing I remember him saying before I fell asleep

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this info. My fiancee and I had this exact type of trip in mind for our honeymoon, but didn't know what types of services/options were offered. This is literally what we were looking for, except maybe a little more emphasis on the biking. Good stuff.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Thanks for posting this info. My fiancee and I had this exact type of trip in mind for our honeymoon, but didn't know what types of services/options were offered. This is literally what we were looking for, except maybe a little more emphasis on the biking. Good stuff.
    He said it was through "Vermont Bike Tours". If you go to their website it's all about Vermont bike tours. But they have another website that deals with Europe. I have no experience with these guys but I can ask my guy more questions if you want. And before you commit to this tour company I'd want to make sure it's the same one.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49784469,d.aWc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    He said it was through "Vermont Bike Tours". If you go to their website it's all about Vermont bike tours. But they have another website that deals with Europe. I have no experience with these guys but I can ask my guy more questions if you want. And before you commit to this tour company I'd want to make sure it's the same one.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49784469,d.aWc
    Awesome. I'll definitley do some research. Thanks again.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat