mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Buckhorn/Jacks conditions?

Anyone been on Capt. Jacks/Chutes/Buckhorn lately? Conditions...

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I ws just about to ask the same thing. I love driving to pueblo because the trails are so great this time of year but I can leave my garage and get to jacks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you live close, what are the conditions like in the shade?

rr
    I don't do PC
    My guess is icy or wet/mushy snow depending on temps, probably some dry spots as well. We went up Stratton/chutes with the intention of trying Buckhorn/CJ's last Sun but turned around and did Columbine instead, it was icy in Stratton and lower Columbine.

The trails seem to be in a icy/messy funk right now with the lack of snow and semi warm temps, maybe this next week of warm temps and hopefully no snow will make things more ridable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    i guess i am going to go to pueblo again. Not complaining. Just wanted to stay local.

SS Chimp
    If you like snow and ice have at it but early. Hiked BH on Tuesday and there is quite a bit of snow still up there...more than I would have expected give the weather. Chutes is still a pile today...40% snow/slush. Go to Pueblo if they don't get snow...more fun and less trail damage if conditions are good.

FYI...gotta love all the trashed, muddy trail sections in Stratton. I hope someday the trails are as wide in Stratton as in Bear Creek...my life's dream.
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I agree. I did the cheyenne canyon loop today. Passed by the top secion of the chutes and saw a few guys coming off of it. I almost said something but i didnt. Once i got to the top a saw a few guys going up high drive to go up to Buckhorn. Once again i was a little miffed since those trails, i am sure, still are not ride able.

O well, what are you going to do.