Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broomfield?

mtbr member

Broomfield?

My wife and I were looking at the town of Broomfield. It seems pretty close to Denver for commuting purposes, but how about trails? We both ride alot. Is the neighborhood ok? I did a search, but couldn't find any real opinions about the town. Thanks in advance!
    This won't hurt a bit...

5,280 feet
    Quote Originally Posted by santaheckler
    My wife and I were looking at the town of Broomfield. It seems pretty close to Denver for commuting purposes, but how about trails? We both ride alot. Is the neighborhood ok? I did a search, but couldn't find any real opinions about the town. Thanks in advance!
    Broomfield = yuppie-ville

But you're 15-30 mins from some of the best riding in Colorado. Your call
    My girlfriend recently told me that I have a one-track mind.
    I corrected her and said, "Actually, honey, the term is single track."

mtbr member
    You would most likely be driving to Golden to ride from Broomfield. If you really like to ride alot and be close to Denver look into Golden.....you can ride right from town.

skillz to pay billz
    nederland, holmes

go west young man
    Last edited by nOOby; 08-25-2007 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    I live in Lafayette just north of the Northwest Parkway.

It depends where you would live in Broomfield, but my husband and I take the Coal Creek trail out to the Marshall Mesa system to ride. When we have more time, we ride into Rattlesnake Gulch in Eldorado State Park to add difficulty and milage.

Trails like White Ranch and Walker Ranch aren't too far, and we will go up to Hall Ranch in Lyons fairly often.

When we want something quick, there is the Catherine Holmburg open space area that has a system of gravel bike path type things. I created an hour and a half loop by linking trails in that system with the Rock Creek/Coal Creek trails.

We both work toward Denver, I am in Thornton and my husband takes the bus from the Sheridan Park and Ride to go into downtown Denver. Overall, it seems to have been a good location for us. Good luck,

Marcia

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You'll drive an extra 10-15 minutes to get to the trails, but for what you get in terms of housing (compared to Golden), its worth it.

Rolling
    If you are working in Denver, have you considered Golden? I know it might be pricey, but Broomfield is isolated and if you want to be close to trails, you are too far east to make it easy.

I'd rather live in Lakewood for trails access than Broomfield. Or Arvada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin

My wife says you make yuppie-ville sound like a BAD thing...j/k

Thanks for the insight everyone, it really helps. It does seem like a good alternative due to house prices, especially to get us started for the first couple years. We don't mind driving 20-30 min to the goods, atleast at first, until we get more settled into the area. Then we may just move closer to an area/town we really love.
    This won't hurt a bit...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You might think about the W/SW side of Littleton or Lakewood. I know there is some pretty affordable housing out that way and the access to trails is quite good. Access to downtown is pretty good if you use the light rail.

mtbr member
    We like the smaller town feel, so Golden would be cool. But at first we kinda want to keep our house price low. Gotta see how the job scene works out. We aren't the type to work more than 40hrs a week just to keep up with the Jones' nice house...cuts into our riding and beer time too much! But we're not bums either (atleast not that I know of).
    This won't hurt a bit...

mtbr member
    We like the smaller town feel, so Golden would be cool. But at first we kinda want to keep our house price low. Gotta see how the job scene works out. We aren't the type to work more than 40hrs a week just to keep up with the Jones' nice house...cuts into our riding and beer time too much! But we're not bums either (atleast not that I know of).
    Can understand wanting to keep the house price low, but one thing to keep in mind is prices in Golden continue to rise; therefore, the longer you wait the more you will pay. Plus many areas of the Front Range are not doing so well right now....so you may get something cheeper, but you may not see much appreciation. I would suggest renting for a while and figuring out where you want to live, the market here isn't good right now and I know people who have seen value declines over the past year....just be careful cheeper is not always better.

mtbr member
    I agree 100% location is everything. I'm pretty sure Broomfield or any other place we pick may not be a permanent residence. I'd like to avoid renting, but find a good house or townhouse with a good location to get us started for the first couple years. A location that will be good for selling when the time comes. By then, I figure we'll know exactly where we want to live for the long run. We are looking strongly toward Golden for sure. But Broomfield looked (on paper) like a decent alternative until we can make a long term decision based on experience. Am I too far off with that? Thanks again for replies!
    This won't hurt a bit...

skillz to pay billz
    why buy a place and sell it when you decide where you really want to live. Just rent for a couple of months and get it sorted. Also why not work in boulder and live somewhere closer to the mountains if you're into mnt biking. Denver isn't all that.

icanseeformiles(andmiles)
    Or live in the foothills, and take the various RTD regional lines into downtown or the tech center for work.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    To differentiate riders by the type of surface frequented is IMO the height of foolishness.

mtbr member
    I figure if we bought something in the actual foothills (besides Golden of course=good property values) and realized we wanted to move, it may be more difficult to sell than if we lived in a more suburban location. I would imagine most people (non mt. bikers) prefer living in suburbs where there's conveniences around every corner. This would make a residence in such a location a little easier to sell so we can make a more permanent move after we have some real life experience (i.e. what trails/ areas we enjoy most, job location, friends, etc.) When we sell our home here in Indiana we should have around $200k in cash, so I don't see an advantage to renting for us, unless we knew we could make a long term decision in a few months, which is unlikely. It will most likley take a summer or two of riding...maybe we'll just try to find a cheap place in Golden to start? It doesn't look like much in the $200k price range though...
    This won't hurt a bit...

skillz to pay billz
    accept when your house in the 'burbs is like all the other hundreds of houses for sale in the subdivision and the convenience seeking 'burbanites can't decide which cookie cutter to buy.

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    accept when your house in the 'burbs is like all the other hundreds of houses for sale in the subdivision and the convenience seeking 'burbanites can't decide which cookie cutter to buy.
    + one there...don't buy in Broomfield unless you want to drive to every trail, want the house your neighbors have and...well I would just not buy there. Living there can make MTBing tuff.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Good points. Driving to every trail is the norm for us so we would be spoiled for sure not to have to load up the truck...

Nice avatar MiSSionary...
    This won't hurt a bit...

pin 'er up
    Good points. Driving to every trail is the norm for us so we would be spoiled for sure not to have to load up the truck...

Nice avatar MiSSionary...
    Dude?!...Or um santaheckler...YOURS IS BETTER THAN MINE!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

skillz to pay billz
    what do your wives think of the avatars.. or are those your wives, lol

anywho, I would recommend living near one good riding area, then figuring out your favorite and moving there. You can always sell the place to another MTB'r.

Goofing off?

Broomfield +

I have the low-down on Broomfield. I have lived here for 2 years. (136th and Lowell) Yes, there are many yuppies. I am one of them. Aren't most of us here on the board? I would prefer to live near respectable neighbors and not the inner city folk. I have left my garage open over night (accidentally - I try not to make it a habit) on several occasions and my bikes have been safe. Here is the scoop.
    + low/ no traffic in town
    + excellent (cement) bike paths for commuting, bike trailer for kids, ect....
    + good government
    + good schools
    + cost of housing
    + respectful people
    - half hour drive from door to trailhead (Dakota, Apex)
    - hour drive to others (Magnolia, Walker) 1.5 to Keystone
    +/- 15 &25 minutes to Lake Arbor and Gunbarrel dirt jumps
    -/+ houses do all look the same but I mostly only look at mine
    + great place to raise a family
    + parking is never an issue (shopping, neighborhood, DMV, ect..)

If mtb is your main priority, Broomfield may not be the best bet because of the time to get to and from the trailhead. However, you can afford a bigger yard to accommodate a pump track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've lived in BF for 15 years, has all the amenities of a large city w/the feel of a smaller town. I think its a great place to live. In town the big dry creek trail can take you from BF to Standley lake, about 20 miles roundtrip, mostly concrete trail w/pea gravel mixed in and is a good training ride, Coal Creek trail is about 10 minutes away. I can make it to Nederland, White Ranch, Centennial Cone, Green Mountain in 45 minutes so not a big deal. Would love to live in Nederland but too far of a commute to Denver for my work. Golden and Boulder are way expensive and traffic in Boulder sucks, especially w/school in session.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Seriously - if you're into mt biking there are tons of reasonable options within 10 minutes of lots of trails. Broomfield would not be one of those options.

And if you like skiing, it becomes even more advantageous to live in Golden, west Lakewood, Morrison, west/SW Littleton...

Thread Terrorist
    I agree 100% location is everything. I'm pretty sure Broomfield or any other place we pick may not be a permanent residence. I'd like to avoid renting, but find a good house or townhouse with a good location to get us started for the first couple years. A location that will be good for selling when the time comes. By then, I figure we'll know exactly where we want to live for the long run. We are looking strongly toward Golden for sure. But Broomfield looked (on paper) like a decent alternative until we can make a long term decision based on experience. Am I too far off with that? Thanks again for replies!
    Broomfield is where most of the people that work in Boulder or Downtown Denver usually live, due to price. That said, its pretty much suburban hell (no character), but will have good neighborhoods.

Golden will give you the small town feel you want with a great commute to Denver, however, a bit pricey.

Arvada may not be a bad pick for you. Easy Downtown Access and not too far out from the trails. Adjacent to Broomfield. No character, but more suited for those that play.

Lakewood, and Littleton are just more of the same, take your pick. Littleton is quite a bit older, and not as easy to access Downtown, but not impossible. Its a straight shot from Lakewood... again, Lakewood is and older suburb.

Come out, drive around. You'll figure it out pretty quickly. Just stay off I-25.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin

Broomfield is more of a workin' town.... I don't consider most of the Broomfield population Yuppies. Boulder? Definitely tons of hippie-yuppies (worst kind), Denver, Englewood... Yuppie city.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast