mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Breckenridge/vail

Are the trails in breckenridge or vail still rideable, heading down from thurs to sat. Don't think they have much snow yet but figured i would ask.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Snow in shady areas all the way down to the valley bottom around Breckenridge. As the day warms up it gets muddy. Some stuff like the flumes aren't to bad.

Lower elevations are probably a better bet overall.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Snow in shady areas all the way down to the valley bottom around Breckenridge. As the day warms up it gets muddy. Some stuff like the flumes aren't to bad.

Lower elevations are probably a better bet overall.
    Is there any sledding to be had, or is it too early? Any recomendations on a good hill? We found the Breck town hill on our last trip up there, but I'm guessing that hasn't received enough coverage yet to be open. This will be our 1 year old's first extreme sports experience and I'm looking forward to it--after all, I cut my teeth sledding in the winter and big wheeling in the summer and I've been after the thrill ever since!

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    Weekend before last driving back from Moab, I saw them blowing snow on the Breck town hill--looks like they had already covered a pretty good swath. The man-made snow looked as wide and as deep as what I skied on at A-basin last weekend.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Is there any sledding to be had, or is it too early? Any recomendations on a good hill? We found the Breck town hill on our last trip up there, but I'm guessing that hasn't received enough coverage yet to be open. This will be our 1 year old's first extreme sports experience and I'm looking forward to it--after all, I cut my teeth sledding in the winter and big wheeling in the summer and I've been after the thrill ever since!
    They are blowing snow on the tubing hill at Frisco Nordic Center. I don't knwo when they plan to open and it's a fee thing. There's not much snow in Breck yet, not even enough for sledding at Carter Park.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Guess i beat the snow and got my last ride in for vail, hit the north fork trail system and son of middle creek trails this morning. Conditions and weather were perfect. Great trails if you have never done before give them a try about 12 - 15 miles total with climbing up red sand stone road. Snow moved in tonight so until next year glad i got a last second ride in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Guess i beat the snow and got my last ride in for vail, hit the north fork trail system and son of middle creek trails this morning. Conditions and weather were perfect. Great trails if you have never done before give them a try about 12 - 15 miles total with climbing up red sand stone road. Snow moved in tonight so until next year glad i got a last second ride in.
    Did the same thing yesterday morning back in the Soda Creek area. Got a great 14 mile ride with the dog before the snow blew in.