Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Lucky Wrecker

Breckenridge Area Conditions?

My buddy moved away last year and is coming back to visit this weekend (5/31/08). We are taking the bikes and families to Breckenridge in hopes of getting a few rides in. Is anything rideable yet?

It's funny that all winter I hoped for snow and we ended up with so much all I can do now is dream of sun!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    [SIZE="7"]DO A SEARCH, n00B!![/SIZE]

Lucky Wrecker
    The search produced squat...The only recent and applicable thread ended up being a bickering fest. The best I got out of it was that Breckenridge-specific trails won't be open until June. If Breckenridge isn't open, what are our next best options? Will anything be open in the Buena Vista area? Will we have to drive down to Denver to ride?

*edit*
    Found mention of Tenderfoot and the Frisco Peninsula as options. Any others?
    Last edited by miwoodar; 05-30-2008 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Among all that bickering was some useful info similar to: the only open stuff is on the South facing hills. Some Keystone ranch trails, the Flume trails= little wet, prolly that one above lake Dillon from Dillon to the dump (the name escapes me), the Frisco side of Lake Dillon. Short answer not much open but if your up there anyway you should find something, less than epic, but something.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by miwoodar
    The search produced squat...The only recent and applicable thread ended up being a bickering fest. The best I got out of it was that Breckenridge-specific trails won't be open until June. If Breckenridge isn't open, what are our next best options? Will anything be open in the Buena Vista area? Will we have to drive down to Denver to ride?

*edit*
    Found mention of Tenderfoot and the Frisco Peninsula as options. Any others?
    In other words you found EXACTLY what you were looking for.

Well done!

Lucky Wrecker
    I did? I don't feel like I found what I was looking for. SkaredShtles - are you holding out on your secret stash!!? Give it up or I'll take your lunch money!

BTW - Who are you calling a Noob? You joined MTBR later than I did, rookie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

BTW - Who are you calling a Noob? You joined MTBR later than I did, rookie.
    You'd never know by the above behavior.

Lucky Wrecker
    It's funny that it came across that way (if post count matters, I might be lacking on MTBR but I'm doing fine on the www).

In truth - I just didn't like the results. Is there really nothing else available in the area right now!? What if we go down towards Buena Vista or Salida?

bacon! bacon! bacon!

In truth - I just didn't like the results. Is there really nothing else available in the area right now!? What if we go down towards Buena Vista or Salida?
    I guess I could tell you that everything is good to go.

The other thread made it pretty clear what's available - low elevation south facing stuff. But there's still a $hitload of snow above 10K and even lower on n facing/treed stuff.

Just take a look at the Breck mt cams at the resort:

http://breckenridge.snow.com/mtn.cams.asp

Still SIGNIFICANT amounts of snow... even in the sun.... even at the "base" of the ski area near town.

The Banana Belt might be a better option - I think they have more options of lower elevation riding...

Lucky Wrecker
    Sweet - thanks Mr. Bacon! I've never ridden the Banana Belt. Looks like the race loop peaks out around 9K feet...hmm...could be a winner.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sweet - thanks Mr. Bacon! I've never ridden the Banana Belt. Looks like the race loop peaks out around 9K feet...hmm...could be a winner.
    Ahhhhahhahaha. I was just referring to the area in general. Didn't even know there was a race course called that.

Give the guys at Absolute a call. They rock.

mtbr member
    Flumes are pretty dry, Mike's Trail is ready to go, Slalom Singletrack is mostly dry, the Frisco Peninsula is dry as a bone (except for one maneater puddle that you can easily get around), X10U8 is dry, Jack's, parts of Moonstone, Carter Park. That's all that I've heard of for Breck. All the stuff on the other side of the county that's already been mentioned is ready (Oro Grande, Tenderfoot). Minnie Mine and Side Door should be dry soon - maybe even this weekend.

Have fun, good luck, be nice to everyone that you see out there -
    MM
    Support Open Space!

FT$
    mtbr member
    MavSports, great report! Thank you for posting!
    Everyone enjoy the singletrack!
    And like Mav said be courteous to other trail users!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Be courteous to the trails too! Since I just got back from a week + on a desert river, I haven't done any first hand recon yet, but Mikes report sounds about like what I'd expect. Is slalom single track and the upper flume going toward toxic forest really dry? Tat would surprise me but since I haven't beeen here maybe it's been warm enough.

Once again, please don't ride muddy trails, ride through small mud pubbles NOT around them. Don't be too hard core to turn around . The trails and everyone who comes after you will thank you for your kindness!

mtbr member
    Slalom Singletrack/Toxic Forest = definitely not dry. Just came from there.

Sorry for the bad intel. They'll be ready soon though.

On another note, Crazy Matt Casey's back on his property above the McLeary's shaking his fist at anyone who dares ride the road that crosses his property (a super-important connector.) Rider beware. FWIW, the county has clealy stated that the road falls under historical use and therefore is ridable.

MM
    Support Open Space!

Lucky Wrecker
    We ended up running lower, middle and upper flume trails + Mike's. We ran into some nasty mud on the lower and the middle. The upper flume and Mike's trail were both fine. I felt like I was on a home parade while on the lower and middle though. I don't think I'll be riding any of these trails again if I can avoid it - not my favorite type of terrain.

Thanks for all the notes folks. Next time I make it up I'll have to research some of the other rides mentioned.

mtbr member
    I can't believe that guy is back and yelling at people. It sounded like TOB talked to him last year and put him in his place...I guess not.

mtbr member
    shtles, you need to chill. don't be blasting newbies that aren't as search-centric as you.

contains quinine
    So...

Keystone Ranch? Peaks Trail?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnchick
    I can't believe that guy is back and yelling at people. It sounded like TOB talked to him last year and put him in his place...I guess not.
    From the county attorney and the town manager: "historical use". Riding the road that goes through his land is 100% legal. If he stops you, just drop that phrase. Be polite, but them ride away.

They may have yelled at him, but after a handful of conversations with him during which I've been pretty low key and deferential I've come to the conclusion that he's a complete loon.
    Support Open Space!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MavSports
    From the county attorney and the town manager: "historical use". Riding the road that goes through his land is 100% legal. If he stops you, just drop that phrase. Be polite, but them ride away.

They may have yelled at him, but after a handful of conversations with him during which I've been pretty low key and deferential I've come to the conclusion that he's a complete loon.
    Not looking for your secret stash, but I was wondering whereabouts is this road? I ride Breckenridge quite a bit and not sure if I inadvertently crossed this guys path at sometime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    Not looking for your secret stash, but I was wondering whereabouts is this road? I ride Breckenridge quite a bit and not sure if I inadvertently crossed this guys path at sometime.
    Not a secret stash at all - you head up Gold Run Road (the TH is right across French Gulch Road from the Wellington Neighborhood - home of Jcospoco, Mavsports and Koko the Silverback Gorilla). If you take the first right you'll pass a sign that says "All non-motorized traffic welcome". This sign was put up by the McLeary's, whose driveway you are now on and whose house you'll eventually pass after a short climb with about 5 switchbacks. This is the road in question. It nearly doubles back on itself once it tops out.

Matt Casey owns an old mining parcel that crosses the road perpendicularly very close to the top. It's very narrow, but very long. His claim is that since the road crosses his property, he has the right to govern who uses it. I think that we'd all be sympathetic to a degree, but as already stated, people have been riding it and hiking it for 30 years and it's been in existence for probably 100-150 years. Plus he's a tool and all...

MM
    Last edited by MikeMac; 06-05-2008 at 09:13 AM.
    Support Open Space!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    So...

Keystone Ranch? Peaks Trail?
    Peaks always takes a long time to dry out. It will be at least a couple weeks. Peaks takes a lot of abuse and can be really wet in places so please refrain till dry.

Keystone ranch area probably has some of the lower loops dry, but wet upper sections. Stuff like Blair witch is probably dry but it's best to access it via the dredge rather than the Ranch since the Ranch side is north facing. If anybody has more accurate beta please post.

mtbr member
    upper ranch stuff is still muddy with small drifts. blair witch is pretty dry. CO trail to the trailer park is still muddy/slushy. junata is dry. trails behind the ice rink are dry. peaks trail will be one of the last rides ready in summit.

keep the reports coming!

mtbr member
    - Ice Rink Network/Blue River Trail - dry
    - Blair Witch - dry
    - Slalom ST - dry...totally dry.
    - Northern section of Upper Flume (past the bridge) - mucky...at least right there it is. I suspect that the northern portion is dry
    - Horseshoe - scattred slippery spots
    - Fall Classic ST - dry w/ a few snowbanks. You can (and should) ride through them
    - Back Ranch - mostly dry
    - CT from Horseshoe to Back Ranch - dry
    - Gold Run Road from Crazy Matt Casey's to the Fall Classic ST - dry enough
    - x10u8, Minnie Mine - dry, dry, dry..
    - Jack's, Carter park, Moonstone, B-Line - dry

I'm sure there's more, but that's all the stuff that's I know firsthand.
    Support Open Space!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast