Thread: Breckenridge

jcard14
    Oct 2005

Breckenridge

I am going out to Breck next week, never ridden there before....what are my "MUST RIDE" trails? Try to keep me on the ones that you ride out of town to do....

Also, what shops are good? Hopefully I won't need them!

Thanks in advance for all responses!

mtbr member
    I am heading to Breck next week as well (are you going for the CCSM workshop? A bunch of us do group rides in our off hours!) and will be planning to ride at least the Peaks Trail and Baker's Tank. I'm a fairly intermediate/moderate rider, though, and these are basically scenic singletrack tours; if you're looking for thrills, someone else will have to answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mtbr member
    Peaks Trail is awesome. Other must do's are out Tiger rd., 4 miles north of town. It's part of the Colorado trail, and there are tons of awesome loops out there. There's tons of rides right in town too, too many to name. Just stop in a shop and ask. Avalanche Sports by the Breck Brewery is the best shop in town. Only heads up is, next week is going to be crazy busy on the trails up here. 4th of july tends to bring em' from all over to ride our amazing network of trails.
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonj1979
    Avalanche Sports by the Breck Brewery is the best shop in town. .
    Well, I beg to differ, Talk to Sam at Carvers.

CT, up Tiger Road and down to the TV park never dissapoints.

Peaks trail is good, but will be a zoo next weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay80424
    Well, I beg to differ, Talk to Sam at Carvers.
    You know I gotta plug my bud's shop. Talk to Rich, Johnny, Mark, or Rob and they'll point you in the right direction!
    Catalina wine Mixer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check out the websites for the Breck 100 and the Breck Epic. They both have maps of some good rides on them, lap 3 of the Breck 100 includes the section of the CT that others are talking about.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    Check out the websites for the Breck 100 and the Breck Epic. They both have maps of some good rides on them, lap 3 of the Breck 100 includes the section of the CT that others are talking about.
    That's loop 2, not 3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    That's loop 2, not 3.
    Yup. My bad.

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for all the responses...I will definitely be hitting up some of the trails mentioned...

Also, I will be rollin' solo, so if anyone wants to take an eager flatlander under their wing, it would be much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    A lot of the breck shops have trail maps for free.

There's a huge network of trails in summit and a free bus system with racks. Breck has a bike week around the time you will be there. They will be doing group rides. I am going to attend some of the clinics that occur on my days off. Yea it will be busy, but there will be lots of people to meet and talk too.

http://www.gobreck.com/events/town-e...reck-bike-week

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    The group rides during Bike Week look promising...
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ...blinged out!
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '12 S-Works SJ 29er...even more blinged out!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree with another post earlier - loop 2 of the Breck 100 is a pretty good ride. If that is too long for you, I suggest driving to up French Gulch and doing a loop that starts at The Dredge.

http://www.warriorscycling.com/cours...loop2-2010.pdf

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by denveryeti
    I agree with another post earlier - loop 2 of the Breck 100 is a pretty good ride. If that is too long for you, I suggest driving to up French Gulch and doing a loop that starts at The Dredge.

http://www.warriorscycling.com/cours...loop2-2010.pdf
    The Dredge trailhead is in the Swan valley off Tiger rd, not French Gulch. (there is a dredge up French Gulch, but not many people know of it. My apologies if that's what you're referring to)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks zrm...I meant the one off Tiger Rd.

mtbr member
    Carvers, meh. I like Breck Freeride, and Velo. Velo has neato bicycles and I like to gape at them. I have a single speed from there and ride the hell out of it. It rides nicely, useful for errands/shopping and don't look like nobody elses ride.

Not sure what they do for bicycles, but I also think the people at Mountain Wave are helpful and do good work too. Mostly go there for winter sports.

I don't live in Breck, but I like to go and gape out there. They have bike lanes through the town, good food to eat, interesting businesses, appealing art work, colorful historical buildings, dog friendly, and yeah I can snowboard there. It's a fun place to visit.

the whole summit area is interesting. Frisco is worth gaping at too. Don't hurt to check out the whole county. It's much easier to navigate a bike through summit than were I am from, I don't drive much. I ride all over summit sometimes cause I am bored.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    +1 on Avalanche Sports and the CT off Tiger. Lots of good riding in the Boreas Pass/Baldy Rd area, too. I'd recommend getting the free bike trail guide and a local topo map.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Go do the Colorado Trail from the N. Fork of the Swan back down to Hwy. 9. this can be done from town for a longer ride, probably right around 30 miles. Or you could take the bus to Tiger Rd from the Gondola/bus station. Ride all the way out Tiger to where it hits the CO trail, climb a ways, bomb down, hang a right under the power lines, climb to a 4 way intersection with an old fire ring, hang a left, (this is the Blair witch) bomb that, hit the CO trail again, turn right, climb a short ways, bomb almost all the way to Hwy 9, ride out through the trailer park, ride bike path back to town. Get beer at Kenosha steak house deck.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Colorado Freeride is out of business.

Also, pick up the "Breckenridge & Summit County Hiking and Biking Trail Map". Most of the Breck bike shops seem to have them, I know Carvers and Alpine sports by City Market have them. It is a pretty kick ass map, and I have a lot of maps. This one definitely focuses on the Breck area, but covers the whole county and details 8 particularly good bike trails.

You can PM me if you want to meet up, I ride some after work usually and always on the weekends. I'm gonna (try to) do the Firecracker 50 this weekend, so this weekend isn't so good for me, but next weekend I'm totally free.