Thread: Breckenridge

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Breckenridge

Hi CO residents,

I will be vacationing with the fam in two weeks at Breckenridge. I hope to ride a couple of days. Since I am from San Diego, I know nothing about the trails up there. Does anyone have any tips for me? I have heard I should ride Peaks trail that goes down to Frisco, but otherwise I do not have any other rides planned. I am an aggressive XC rider, who is in ok shape. I think I will have a tough time with the altitude change, but that's ok because I am just excited to be up there and enjoying the scenery.

Any of your suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Don't all write back at once now!

holding back the darkness
    Pick up a Latitude 40 Summit County Map. Pretty comprehensive. There are also free guides in town that have fairly good directions and maps. Look for them where you would find the Auto Trader or Thrifty Nickle.
    There is an established trailhead between Breck and Frisco.... This trail is the Colorado Trail in both directions and is an out-n-back in either direction. The trail to the east and across the road might be a little difficult to find and keep at first as you sorta wind through a brief residential area, but then it becomes pretty defined and easy to follow. Check the reviews section of this website for more info.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by traverso619
    Don't all write back at once now!
    Search, n00B!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    The Tiger Run section of the Colorado Trail is not to be missed. Searching will help you find route info on this, but you go up Tiger Run Rd heading for Georgia Pass and then you come to the Colorado Trail just above Keystone. From there, follow that back down to the RV park on Hwy 9.

Also, step outside of your comfort zone, rent a big bike (and armor + FF), and hit Keystone for a day. Even if you decide not to rent a bike and ride your own, Keystone has 1 green route and two blue routes (talking top to bottom on the mountain--all are made up of many "trails"), all of which can be ridden on an XC bike. The green trail is epic Colorado singletrack and the blues are just a notch more difficult than the green. You could do several runs down each of them (the advantage of a chairlift) and never get bored. If you have more gumption, ride a black--just be aware if anyone wants to pass you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    there are trails everywhere you look in breck, more trails than my sister has boyfriends

goto the information center at the blue river plaza get the town trail map, that will get you started

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Last but not least, keep your skidding to a minimum, i.e. zero. The lead-ins to switchbacks have become so torn up because of riders flying down the trail into a 180 degree turn, laying waste to the last 20 feet before the turn in a death-grip skid. Keep an eye not only on the 10 feet in front of you, but also the next 50 meters. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow, thanks for the riding lessons too! Should I wear a helmet? No skidding, and watch where I'm going??? - Man I would have never thought of that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    dont want you to think were all pricks

(now I know why people get upset about certain questions on this board)

check out the search function or this

The best trails around Breckenridge?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by traverso619
    Wow, thanks for the riding lessons too! Should I wear a helmet? No skidding, and watch where I'm going??? - Man I would have never thought of that.
    You forgot about yeilding to the faster rider when downhilling in your lesson recap--don't forget that one, it gives tourists and XC riders a bad name.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Colorado trail, middle fork to Tiger Run, never dissapoints.