RME
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Breckenridge 100, B-68, or B-32? Tostado?

As Summit County begins to dry out from the epic winter snowfall it received, the excitement is building for the 7th Annual Breckenridge 100 Mountain Bike Race, Colorado's premier one day endurance race.

Local legend Josh Tostado absolutely owns this race winning every edition of the contest since its inception 7 years ago. He has taken on all challengers including Tinker Juarez, Jeff Schalk, Travis Brown, and Evan Plews to name a few, but none have been able to topple this man of steel who is unbeatable on his home turf. Can anyone unseat strongman Josh Tostado from winning his 7th consecutive Breckenridge 100 Championship?

Have you signed up for the Breckenridge 100, B-68, and B-32? What do you think will be the most challenging part of the race this year? Any idea on how big will the snow field be up on Wheeler Pass?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm signed up for the 100....the most challenging part?

...The fact that I've had a knee injury for the last 1.5 months. I have 2.5 weeks to prepare. Got out on my bike last night finally and the knee is feeling good at least! In the single speed category, so I've got to pick a smart gear considering the knee. I have a feeling flats will make me want to shoot myself.

Or I can just transfer my ticket to a friend and wait until next year...which may be the smarter move.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm signed up for the B-32. My first "endurance" mtb race. Going to do longer ones in the future as my fitness improves. Also still recovering from a knee injury sustained while playing Ultimate Frisbee last July (torn PCL, fractured tibia, etc), so I am hoping the knee (and lungs) are up to the challenge.

slow
    I rode the middle loop (B-32 course) on a B-100 3-man team last year and had a great time. Well marked course and nice folks. My loop encompassed some of my favorite trails in Summit County. Suffered a bit because I was coming off a 2 week vacation at sea level, but it was a good warmup for Laramie.

Have other plans with family this year, so not going to make it. Best wishes to all riding this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What do the trails look like for this weekend? I imagine pretty bad, but I thought I'd check to see if anybody has some firsthand knowledge.

mtbr member
    cant wait to try it again this year with some much improved gearing selection for the single speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OnForm View Post
    What do the trails look like for this weekend? I imagine pretty bad, but I thought I'd check to see if anybody has some firsthand knowledge.
    We'll definitely know after the Firecracker 50. They stated last week there were only 2 sections that looked like they needed to be rerouted...otherwise it's fairly good to go considering the circumstances.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    We'll definitely know after the Firecracker 50. They stated last week there were only 2 sections that looked like they needed to be rerouted...otherwise it's fairly good to go considering the circumstances.
    For the Firecracker they've been digging out and doing drainage work/mud mitigation at Little French and the Pride for the last week. Barring any last minute SNAFUs the Firecracker course shouldn't have any re-routes. The exception will be around Lincoln Park and that's a change that has been in the works outside of mud/snow consideration.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an official spokesman for the Firecracker. Take that with something of a grain of salt.

The biggest issue for the B100 will be snow on Wheeler Pass on Loop 1. It's been down right hot here and you can finally see some change above treeline so it's hard to say exactly what it will be like but there will almost certainly be more snow than any of the previous years. Other than that the B100 should have no snow issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm all for boosting the economy up there, but for $237?! Don't think so.

http://breckenridge100.eventbrite.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrambo View Post
    I'm all for boosting the economy up there, but for $237?! Don't think so.

http://breckenridge100.eventbrite.com/
    You don't ride in bike races often then...that's really not an abnormally large price for an event like that. I agree it's ridiculous...bike races are always ridiculous... but comparatively...it's not that bad.

Now...I have heard the support stations in the breck 100 are extremely lacking in previous years. If that's the case this year...then it most definitely is not worth the price.

MSH
    mtbr member
    B68 again for me this year. Fantastic course and event...especially Loop 2. One of the best courses I have raced. This is a race I will do year after year...really enjoyed it last year. My results weren't as good as I expected last year, but I did take it easy as moving from California in late '09 this was the highest elevation race I had ever done. Also, the low completion rate for both the 68 and 100 the year before had me concerned (think the stat I saw was 38% completion rate for '09 race). This year I know what to expect and hope to hammer it out in 8-8.5 hrs.

Only downside was Aid station on Loop 2 ran out of water. Good thing is that the golf course 1.5 miles or so down the road had a fountain so could refill all my bottles. Hopefully the aid station in Como (loop 3) shows up this year. He was a bit late to the party last year!

Last year was on a 29er HT. Will be on a FS 29er this year. Paying a 1.5 lbs penalty but should be worth it..less fatigue later in the race and of course when it comes time to point 'er downhill!
    Last edited by MSH; 06-30-2011 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine View Post
    You don't ride in bike races often then...that's really not an abnormally large price for an event like that. I agree it's ridiculous...bike races are always ridiculous... but comparatively...it's not that bad.

Now...I have heard the support stations in the breck 100 are extremely lacking in previous years. If that's the case this year...then it most definitely is not worth the price.
    wow, I honestly had no idea of the pricing but now that I do, that is ridiculous regardless of what is or isn't at the aid stations.

Sounds like there is a need for more competition in the bike racing industry.

RME
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Aid Stations will have bottle hand-ups and drop bags will be transported. They will also have Heed, Water, Hammer Gels, Clif Bloks, Fig Newtons, PB&J, Oranges, and Bananas.

What are your favorite Aid Station foods?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RME View Post
    ...What are your favorite Aid Station foods?
    Water! As long as the aid stations don't run out this year I will be happy. I only use my own liquid nutrition mix so as long as aid stations have water to mix I'm good to go

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Raced the 100 last year. No problems at the aid stations and talk about a ride on the pain train in some epic country. I would love to go back there and ride the 32 or 68 in the years to come. I was cooked by the third loop and found myself wishing I had more in the tanks because it was just so much fun.

2012 perhaps, if the world doesn't end of course. lol.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

donniedonuts
    Jul 2008
    Hi all:

I'm gonna take a crack at pre-riding the B-68 tomorrow (Sunday, 7/10). I'll ride solo if I have to, but I'd much rather hook up with some others for the day.

I'll prolly start around 8 from Carter Park. Anyone wanna join -- or wanna let me join their group for the day?

If so, shoot me a PM...

(For what it's worth: I'm a decent sport class rider who's raced the B-32 before.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Stock some Coca-Colas at the Boreas Pass Aid station!!!!! Someone had one for me last year at that aid station and it was a lifesaver!
    I repair Carbon Fiber frames.
    http://twobrotherscycleworks.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmsdrums60 View Post
    Hi all:

I'm gonna take a crack at pre-riding the B-68 tomorrow (Sunday, 7/10). I'll ride solo if I have to, but I'd much rather hook up with some others for the day.

I'll prolly start around 8 from Carter Park. Anyone wanna join -- or wanna let me join their group for the day?

If so, shoot me a PM...

(For what it's worth: I'm a decent sport class rider who's raced the B-32 before.)
    I signed up for the B-32, flying in from boston on friday. I have never rode above 1,000 ft before (or done any "real" climbing) so the race should be interesting.

I had a question about aid stations, are they 10 miles apart like the website states? Looking at the course map it doesn't seem this way. I only have one cage on my stumpjumper and am a bit worried about having enough water between the stops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would, without a doubt, carry more than one bottle. The aid stations are good, but you neger fully count on them. Put another bottle in your Jersey or carry a camel back. Last year I drank way more than i thought i would and still needed more.
    I repair Carbon Fiber frames.
    http://twobrotherscycleworks.blogspot.com/

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell View Post
    ....I had a question about aid stations, are they 10 miles apart like the website states? Looking at the course map it doesn't seem this way. I only have one cage on my stumpjumper and am a bit worried about having enough water between the stops.
    I would carry at least 2 bottles. I carried 3 last yr and will do the same this year. I was on my hardtail last year for the 68 and it has 2 cages, so I only had to do one bottle in the jersey. This year I will be on my FS 29er (Titus Racer-x) and like your Stumpjumper it only has one cage mount.
    I ended up adding a Specialized seat post mount that happened to work since the Titus shares the same 30.9mm seatpost. I assume your Stumpie has the 30.9mm post? You may not have enough time to order it, but maybe if you call Specialized you can have them 2 day it to you. Here's the link to the mount and then a pic of what it looks like on my bike....
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=56734

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the help guys, I am going to give it a try with a bottle in the jersey on a ride today to see how it goes.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaskell View Post
    I signed up for the B-32, flying in from boston on friday. I have never rode above 1,000 ft before (or done any "real" climbing) so the race should be interesting.

I had a question about aid stations, are they 10 miles apart like the website states? Looking at the course map it doesn't seem this way. I only have one cage on my stumpjumper and am a bit worried about having enough water between the stops.
    More or less 10 miles on loops 2 and 3. a bit further apart on loop 1 since most folks aren't looking for a lot of aid at that point in the race.