mtbr member

breck: where to ride?

seems i'll likely be riding alone thurs afternoon...

ride breck (or nearby) thurs afternoon?

i'll have 3-4 hours to get out. i like technical XC/AM riding (singletrack, trees, rocks, etc.).
    before i dive into the guide books thought i'd seek advice here...

suggestions?
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i was up there exploring on my own for the first time last week. best bet: get yourself a copy of the latitude-40 map for up that way. has a lot of good stuff on it. peaks trail is a nice little bit of trail, too. start at the frisco end, ride up to breck, then ride back. a few offshoots from it that you can do, too. i think some of the locals up there sorta' poo-poo it as the "tourist" trail, but it's a damn fine bit of trail in actuality.

i'd suggest parking at the gold hill trailhead off of hwy-9 and heading across the road to the colorado trail. you can either out and back on it, or take some of the offshoots from it and do loops.

makes it nice and easy, so you can spend the time riding, not getting lost. especially if you only have 3-4 hours and want to maximize ride time.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Head East on Tiger Road - Couple options here: take left on to North Fork road and ride up to the Colorado trail. Going West on CT (aka West ridge) will take you back to highway 9 - dropping in behind the Tiger Run Resort - then turn around and head back up the CT to your car or take Tiger Road back to the car. Or at the Power Lines hop-off CT and head over to Gold Run - Nordic Center.

Going East on CT off of North fork will take you to Georgia Pass - which is probably snowy higher up.

Loop 2 of the Breck 100 - http://www.warriorscycling.com/events/breck.php

You could also ride the Firecracker 50 Course - maybe some snow on Little French Gulch - http://www.mavsports.com/oldsite/2003%20Firecracker.htm - scroll to bottom of page for map.

If you like riding rocky and rooty sections of trail with some smooth singletrack - then Gold Hill to Peaks trail is your best bet. However you'll probably only burn up about 2-2.5hrs out and back.
    Last edited by calzonical; 06-20-2006 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member

gold hill it is

i'll see if i can't get a hold of a map...

"mountain biking colorado" only shows a ride up there called wise mountain & the colorado trail. it starts at gold hill, which you both referenced, so i guess i'll for sure start there anyway.

thanks.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i'll see if i can't get a hold of a map...

"mountain biking colorado" only shows a ride up there called wise mountain & the colorado trail. it starts at gold hill, which you both referenced, so i guess i'll for sure start there anyway.

thanks.
    If Gold Hill, here would be my route suggestion:

Start in Frisco, riding south on Peaks trail. Then take Gold Hill back down to Hwy-9. You can then either reverse it back to the car, or hop on the paved path back to the car, depending on how the legs are feeling, and your time constraints. IMO, that route gives you the better climbs/descents than going the other direction.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper