Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breck Epic Ride

BIKE ERGONOMICS

Breck Epic Ride

I am heading into Breck for the Firecracker 50 on June 28. Is there interest to put a call out for a epic day in the saddle? Maybe head out on Sat., June 30 for 40-50 miles? All abilities...all skill levels. It's a ride with like minded folks. I will have Ergon product for demo for those that wish to give the grips a whirl...if not, no sweat. We can use this forum post to get things established. Sound off if interested.

Jeff
    Ergon USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 05-28-2007 at 01:26 PM.

I'm how far behind?

I might be interested

I can also serve as a local trail guide if your interested. Might make some mandatory PBR stops though. I live in Summit Co--need a place to crash or is this on the company's dime?
    Fatter than most.

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Yes, there will/can be stops. I am just up for an epic ride with epic views. Local knowledge is always a good thing. I have been e-mailing with Fisher 29er rider Tim...sounds like he is on the action also.

Jeff
    Ergon USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 05-28-2007 at 09:50 AM.

feel the Force
    Count me in. I used to live up there too, and know Tim well. Should be fun.

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Cool

We need to set up a designated meeting place...like a city park or something to leave from...and also ride back to. Is Carter Park a good place? Or does someone know a better locale?

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    Cool
    Carter Park[/URL] a good place? Or does someone know a better locale?
    Probably---depends on where we ride. Breck is not exactly the center of the riding (but don't tell someone from breck that). Carter would be good if we include some of the 50 course in the ride. Or we could do a big loop and hit up some of the Keystone XC stuff then ride over to Breck hitting up the Colorado Trail and Peaks Trails. Frisco is more central, but everything is connected by either trails or bike paths so you really can't go wrong.

Jim
    Fatter than most.

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    Probably---depends on where we ride. Breck is not exactly the center of the riding (but don't tell someone from breck that). Carter would be good if we include some of the 50 course in the ride. Or we could do a big loop and hit up some of the Keystone XC stuff then ride over to Breck hitting up the Colorado Trail and Peaks Trails. Frisco is more central, but everything is connected by either trails or bike paths so you really can't go wrong.
    I, personally, would prefer not to ride any of the 50 course till race day. The talk of the Colorado Trail has me licking my chops. I guess it all is based on logistics for those who want to ride as to where we meet, etc, etc, etc.

Would Frisco be the best in your mind to start/finish???

Jeff
    Ergon USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 05-28-2007 at 12:05 PM.

I'm how far behind?

I'll throw this out for discussion

Meet in Frisco at County Commons
    Ride bike path around Dillon Res (flat warmup with killer views)
    Ride Oro Grande (best views of the landfill!) to Keystone
    Ride Keystone Gulch to West Ridge to Colorado Trail
    Bail out option at Gold Hill (ride bike path back to cars)
    Gold Hill to Peaks then back to cars
    Or variations of above depending on snowpack

Or ??? I'm ready to ride anything (once the snow finally melts)
    Fatter than most.

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Sounds good to me! We can plan on this....and "tweek" it as ideas, thoughts, and suggestion come up between now and then.

Jeff
    Ergon USA

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    Meet in Frisco at County Commons
    Ride bike path around Dillon Res (flat warmup with killer views)
    Ride Oro Grande (best views of the landfill!) to Keystone
    Ride Keystone Gulch to West Ridge to Colorado Trail
    Bail out option at Gold Hill (ride bike path back to cars)
    Gold Hill to Peaks then back to cars
    Or variations of above depending on snowpack

Or ??? I'm ready to ride anything (once the snow finally melts)
    I might be up for this.

The above route sounds good, but may only be about 30 miles. Can you still ride Old Dillon Reservoir to cut out some of the bike path along the lake? How about the option of single track on the Ranch Flume to CO trail instead of Keystone Gulch. Option for length would be to forego Gold Hill and ride up into Breck and take Peaks all the way down to Frisco. That option is roughly 35 miles (See photo below)
    Attached Images Attached Images

feel the Force
    My suggestion for epic ride, to include all of the above stuff...

Start at Gold Hill/ Tiger Run TH. This is halfway between Breck and Frisco. Easy spin out Tiger Run Road, which is half dirt, then hit CO Trail, starting at the 3 Forks of the Swan. Take CO trail back to Red Trail. Drop down to West Aqueduct, Keystone Gulch Road. Then either climb up the West Ridge back to the CO Trail, or take some other "lesser known" trails back. When back on CO Trail, detour for Blair Witch, then ride all the way back to Tiger Run. Then cut behind the Breck Golf Course, and hit the Flume Trails to Breck. Then cross over the road, and take Pence Miller and Nordic area trails to the top of the Peaks Trail. Then take Peaks Trail to Frisco, then take the Penninsula Trails around, or just soft pedal the path back to Tiger Run.

This option will definitely get 50 or so miles. I can usually do this loop in about 5 hrs. There is a lot less pavement here. And all the single track is epic! You get to do the BEST part of the CO Trail twice! There is a fair amount of climbing, but not near what the 50 has in it.

NOTE - It's REALLY advisable not to be on the path around Dillon on a Saturday in Summer! It's worse than the Boulder Creek Path!

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    I might be up for this.

The above route sounds good, but may only be about 30 miles. Can you still ride Old Dillon Reservoir to cut out some of the bike path along the lake? How about the option of single track on the Ranch Flume to CO trail instead of Keystone Gulch. Option for length would be to forego Gold Hill and ride up into Breck and take Peaks all the way down to Frisco. That option is roughly 35 miles (See photo below)
    You can still ride ODR, just rode it this morning-- Good addition

Cut out the gulch? Sure you get more singletrack but there is less climbing and less Colorado Trail (+/-'s). I usually ride what you suggested, just trying to maximize the CT experience for Jeff.

How long do we want to ride? My personal favorite would be to ride up Keystone (various singletracks) then over to Joey's and drop into Saints John and over Glacier ridge to Middle Fork then down the CT. More miles more elevation more CT, just adds maybe 15 or so miles. Might be snowed in though.

All good suggestions and I will be up for any of them!
    Fatter than most.

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1

NOTE - It's REALLY advisable not to be on the path around Dillon on a Saturday in Summer! It's worse than the Boulder Creek Path!
    Agree but if we start early enough... BTW, nothing can be worse than Boulder Creek Path I shudder just thinking about trying to ride that thing.

Great route planned, I like it. Maybe we should just pick a starting location and roll from there, picking the route as we feel? Gold Hill might not be a bad choice if we keep the numbers down, otherwise it is not too big of a parking area. Might want to meet at the high school lot instead?
    Fatter than most.

feel the Force
    Meeting at the HS sounds good. Since the ride is 2 big loops, it's easier if someone needs to bail. An early start is always good to avoid the typical thunderstorm! But at least we won't be near treeline - unless you want to throw in Wheeler to Copper!

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    An early start is always good to avoid the typical thunderstorm!
    7 AM? 8 AM? Later or earlier? I am game for anytime. When you guys speak of the HS....where/what town are speaking of?

Jeff
    Ergon USA

feel the Force
    I think 7 would be best. Maybe a little chilly start - probably drop arm warmers off after the 1st loop.

The HS is about 1 mile down the path from the Gold Hill/Tiger Run TH. So, about halfwa between Breck and Frisco.

I'm how far behind?
    throw in Wheeler to Copper!
    Uh---- NO! Unless we want to make this a true death march.
    Fatter than most.

feel the Force
    What's wrong with a 80 mile sufferfest a couple of days before the Firecraker?

I'm how far behind?

Nothing is wrong with suffering

In fact the more unrealistic the goal the more I'm interested.
    Fatter than most.

BIKE ERGONOMICS

Lets plan on this....

Breck Epic Ride
    June 30, 2007
    Depart at 7:00 AM
    Start/Meet/Park at Summit High School (I assume this is where you guys are talking about?)
    Ride for 5ish hours...or until we feel like stopping.

Sound good? We have plenty of time to make changes to this schedule as needed.

Jeff
    Ergon USA
    Last edited by ERGON; 05-29-2007 at 06:45 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This is a good epic ride in Breck. However, I would not recommend it for "all abilities" and "all skill levels"

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    This is a good epic ride in Breck. However, I would not recommend it for "all abilities" and "all skill levels"
    Looks super sweet! But it will be a bit "much" for this ride. Don't want to discourage folks from showing up. I am going to keep the link you provided bookmarked. Might be good for another day

Jeff
    Ergon USA

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    Looks super sweet! But it will be a bit "much" for this ride. Don't want to discourage folks from showing up. I am going to keep the link you provided bookmarked. Might be good for another day

Jeff
    Ergon USA
    It's a legitimate epic on my chart. A bit less than 50 miles but the amount of climbing is obscene.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

How far?

This sounds great, can you work in various food drops? Most of the ride is above 9500 ft, I think that we need a lot of fuel that close to the Firecracker.

Tim
    Gary Fisher 29er Crew

BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Quote Originally Posted by radker
    This sounds great, can you work in various food drops? Most of the ride is above 9500 ft, I think that we need a lot of fuel that close to the Firecracker.
    I would prefer to keep the ride short enough so this wouldn't be needed. Do we need fuel...heck yes. I am planning on carrying a pack with the essentials to make it through the ride. I don't plan on going super fast....but rather enjoy the ride with some good folks and snap some pics.

Jeff
    Ergon USA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast