Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6

    Breck 100 -- toughest MTB race in America?

    The Breck 100 is coming up again on July 17. This is a monster. Three terrific loops, almost all technical single-track (real mountain-bike riding!) and a great vibe -- it's got it all! Check out the website at http://www.warriorscycling.com/events/breck.php and sign up ... if you dare.

  2. #2
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    I looked at the route. Doesn't appear to be worth my time.


  3. #3
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    Is registration transferable?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    Probably not the toughest.
    25 miles shorter than Vapor trail, 7000 less feet of climbing

    Fun facts about the Vapor Trail 125:
    10 PM Start!
    125 miles, 20,000 feet of climbing (and descending). Pack an extra lung.
    Aid stations manned by "absolutely fantastic" volunteers who'll make you feel like the superhero you are.
    More 14er's than any other county in the lower 48--and we make you ride all over them!
    Un-Arguably (over post ride brewskies) some of the best singletrack in Colorado.
    Ghost towns, abandoned railroad depots, infamous mountain passes.

    http://www.vaportrail125.com/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6

    OK, how 'bout the toughest 100-mile MTB race?

    @mtnbeer: Yikes -- hadn't been aware of the Vapor Trail. Sounds brutal. OK, how 'bout considering the Breck 100 the toughest 100-miler instead? It certainly has some of the best actual riding around: The Wheeler Trail, Peaks Trail, Gold Run and all of that stuff around the Swan River is all epic single-track.

    @Moustache rider: I believe the registration is transferrable, but why would you want to?

    @SkaredShtles: Yeah, probably not.

    Cool thing is that the Breck 100 has some shorter options, including a three-person team relay, so you can bite off as much as you can chew. I remember last year thinking: Any one of these loops would be a terrific day ride. Together? Nothing but pain!

  6. #6
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    I can't believe you didn't include Miner's Creek...

  7. #7
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I can't believe you didn't include Miner's Creek...
    Yeah, that might make it a tad more difficult. Fire roads are for pvssy's.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  8. #8
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Okay, yeah, looked at the route. You could use a road bike on two of these three loops What happened to really keeping it on Singletrack?
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  9. #9
    post-ride specialist
    Reputation: icegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,012
    How about "Toughest Summit County 100 miler".
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    No, not the toughest 100-mile MTB race?

    America's Toughest 100 Mile Mountain Bike Race
    100 Miles - 50% Singletrack - 18,000 ft. of Climbing

    http://www.cascadecreampuff.com/

  11. #11
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbeer
    No, not the toughest 100-mile MTB race?

    America's Toughest 100 Mile Mountain Bike Race
    100 Miles - 50% Singletrack - 18,000 ft. of Climbing

    http://www.cascadecreampuff.com/
    Tops out at 5000 feet? That's 1/2 the starting elevation of the Summit Co race or the Vapor Trail.

    Just sayin...


  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    112
    While not a 100 miler, the Park City Point to Point (PCP2P) is 78 miles, 90% on singletrack, 14,000 of climbing.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Tops out at 5000 feet? That's 1/2 the starting elevation of the Summit Co race or the Vapor Trail.

    Just sayin...

    It's not the elevation that gets you it's the heatstroke.

  14. #14
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbeer
    It's not the elevation that gets you it's the heatstroke.
    Might as well do a 100-miler in Florida.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: llama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    610
    There are a lot of 100 mile races out there. Hard to match Colorado races in altitude, but the Shenandoah Mountain 100 in Virginia would be a lot more technical (never raced it, but have ridden some of the trails). And I bet the Wilderness 101 in West Virginia is even technical. West Virginia has some of the most technical riding you'll find. These were all taken by a friend on a team/club trip to the Davis, WV area in 2008 (I used to live in Maryland)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breck 100 -- toughest MTB race in America?-img_3676.jpg  

    Breck 100 -- toughest MTB race in America?-img_3675.jpg  

    Breck 100 -- toughest MTB race in America?-img_3743.jpg  


  16. #16
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    What's the big deal? That looks like a walk in the park.

  17. #17
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,513
    The funny thing is when the race was being planned, loop 2 and 3 where much harder but the Forest service nixed a couple of the trails. Thane took loop one over the Miner Creek trail one year but most people didn't like all the pushing. I don't know if it's the hardest 100 miler in the country but it's plenty hard, I don't think anyone who has done it would argue that. As it turns out, if you want a decent turn out for your race, you don't want to have the hardest race in the country; most folks aren't up for that. That's a good part of the reason Leadville is so popular - the course is doable by a fit but mortal mountain biker. The B-100 is basically three really great loops, any one of which would be a great one day ride.

  18. #18
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    The funny thing is when the race was being planned, loop 2 and 3 where much harder but the Forest service nixed a couple of the trails. Thane took loop one over the Miner Creek trail one year but most people didn't like all the pushing.
    Buncha pvssies.

  19. #19
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Buncha pvssies.
    Boo hoo, can you make the course less dirty next year? Can we add more roads next year? Yeah, pvssy's.

    If you want to be the toughest 100 miler race, sack up and make mtn bikers ride mtns. Otherwise, call it a triple by-pass (oh wait, that's taken).
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  20. #20
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,513
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Boo hoo, can you make the course less dirty next year? Can we add more roads next year? Yeah, pvssy's.

    If you want to be the toughest 100 miler race, sack up and make mtn bikers ride mtns. Otherwise, call it a triple by-pass (oh wait, that's taken).
    When we where talking about the race we talked about going over the Ten Mile via Miners Creek but it's a lot of pushing and my thought was that I always would rather ride than push, especially in a race. Miners Creek is epic, beautiful and aesthetic, but I don't think it's a great trail for a mountain bike race. Schlepping up to the top of Wheeler pass is plenty tough without pushing to the top of the Ten Mile. Why Thane thought he needed to make the loop even harder that year I don't know but very few (Josh said he thought it was pretty cool but he would) liked it better.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    239
    So the breck 100 goes the way of the skiing in summit county and the rest of the mtb riding up here. Just not good enough right? Summit is a has been compared to all the other great riding in the state?

    Get over yourselves. I'll be happy to take you on a 6-8 hr ride that is 80% single track. Doubt you'd like it though.

  22. #22
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,493
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo
    So the breck 100 goes the way of the skiing in summit county and the rest of the mtb riding up here. Just not good enough right? Summit is a has been compared to all the other great riding in the state?

    Get over yourselves. I'll be happy to take you on a 6-8 hr ride that is 80% single track. Doubt you'd like it though.

  23. #23
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,513
    Lighten up Rip. I don't think anyone is taking this thread too seriously. I doubt anyone doesn't think the B-100 isn't a seriously challenging race. If they don't thy're a poopy headed knucklenacker. (I just made that up)

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    10

    Park City Point 2 Point

    the toughest 100 mile bike race isn't even 100 miles...it is the Park City Point 2 Point. 78ish miles, 14,000ish feet of climbing, 90% singletrack, no multi loop BS > pure MTB racing. Why would you believe me though > check what Alex Grant had to say (last years winner, 4th at Leadville last year too) >http://alexanderthegrant.blogspot.co...rder-than.html

    The event sold out in 12 hours this year (second year of the race).

    Racers this year: Alex Grant, Tinker, Josh Toastado, Jay Henry, Ross Schnell, Ben Sonntag, etc, etc....

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Jride
    the toughest 100 mile bike race isn't even 100 miles...it is the Park City Point 2 Point. 78ish miles, 14,000ish feet of climbing, 90% singletrack, no multi loop BS > pure MTB racing. Why would you believe me though > check what Alex Grant had to say (last years winner, 4th at Leadville last year too) >http://alexanderthegrant.blogspot.co...rder-than.html

    The event sold out in 12 hours this year (second year of the race).

    Racers this year: Alex Grant, Tinker, Josh Toastado, Jay Henry, Ross Schnell, Ben Sonntag, etc, etc....
    Sorry just don't agree on this one....why? The breck 100 is pretty much all above 10,000 feet with wheeler at 12,400ish. Park City has some great riding, but I find it much easier overall compared to the breck course and colorado in general, especially the stuff on the front range.

    I haven't done the point to point, but did live in Utah for a long time and have ridden just about everything on that course. Singletrack yes but not technical. I know someone who did the point to point last year and tried the breck this year and got blown up in the breck 100 only finished the first two loops.

    But I don't think the breck is the hardest either, but it is really hard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •