Stupid and Dangerous

Brake kit spacers for 20mm axels

So, I go to install my new 210mm Magura Louise FR brake kit on the front of the bike I'm building only to figure out that it's not setup for a 20mm front axel. This seems totally bizarre to me as I was under the impression that it was not recommended to run any brake larger than 160mm with a QR axel.

This brings me to needing to find some large disc brake spacers. Magura will sell me what I need but I'd like to ride this weekend. I could probably hit the hardware store and make something work (FYI a Presta tube nut with the treads drilled is the correct diameter and approximately 3mm wide) but I figured I'd see if anyone has seen a disk brake spacer kit out at their local bike shops. Magura suggested a spacer that fits between the rotor and hub or some larger washer type spacers and some longer mounting screws.

If anyone's got a lead on where I may find some spacers/shims (I assume this is a common issue with using discs on 20mm hubs) I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm also looking for a used gripshift shifter for a front derailleurs to finish my build if any one would want to let one go for a couple bucks (or a case of beer) preferably to pickup in the Boulder area.

locked - time out
    I've never heard of the issue that you're having w/ your brake spacing (not that that counts for much) - go to ACE if you go the hardware store route - they have WAY more stuff to choose from than Home Depot - in terms of hardware.

I have an older Gripshift (like 8-9 years older) that you can have if you recieve no better offers - just let me know.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I've never heard of the issue that you're having w/ your brake spacing (not that that counts for much) - go to ACE if you go the hardware store route - they have WAY more stuff to choose from than Home Depot - in terms of hardware.

I have an older Gripshift (like 8-9 years older) that you can have if you recieve no better offers - just let me know.

LOL the gap I need to fill is HUGE (5-6mm) I was asking myself what could I have possibly done wrong here. Then I emailed Magura and posted to the brake forum... the accepted bandaid fix is spacers.

As for the shifter I may take you up on your offer but would prefer something slightly (like last 4-5 years) newer.

Here are some pictures the first is my gap the second is a picture of a shimmed brake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mango; 01-28-2005 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added pictures

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    LOL the gap I need to fill is HUGE (5-6mm) I was asking myself what could I have possibly done wrong here. Then I emailed Magura and posted to the brake forum... the accepted bandaid fix is spacers.

As for the shifter I may take you up on your offer but would prefer something slightly (like last 4-5 years) newer.
    If you don't find anything at a local shop I have a set of the spacers in my personal shop up here in Genesee. They came with my Marzocchi AM1 which has standard dropouts -- not sure why I got a set but evidently Marzocchi is throwing them in with most forks.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    If you don't find anything at a local shop I have a set of the spacers in my personal shop up here in Genesee. They came with my Marzocchi AM1 which has standard dropouts -- not sure why I got a set but evidently Marzocchi is throwing them in with most forks.
    Cool, thanks a lot for the offer, I'll be calling some of my local shops as soon as they open.

Now Uploading

If anyone's got a lead on where I may find some spacers/shims (I assume this is a common issue with using discs on 20mm hubs) I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm also looking for a used gripshift shifter for a front derailleurs to finish my build if any one would want to let one go for a couple bucks (or a case of beer) preferably to pickup in the Boulder area.
    I have a pair of six-bolt Hope disk hub spacers meant for spacing the rotor out away from the hub for alignment, they are about 1-1.5 mil thick and you can stack them, you're welcome to drop back by and see if these may work. I'm not using them.

No surplus grip shift here, but I have a new X.7 left/front trigger shifter if that will help you.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I just had to do the same with an Avid mechanical on an 04 Z-150. Grabbed a couple old v-brake pad spacer nuts out of my parts bin that looked about right, and they worked.

Granted, with the Avid CPS mounting system, it also makes it *very* easy to take up other little bits of slack in the system. Compensates very well if the any part of the caliper/hub/fork IS stuff is a little out of whack.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    I just had to do the same with an Avid mechanical on an 04 Z-150. Grabbed a couple old v-brake pad spacer nuts out of my parts bin that looked about right, and they worked.
    Yeah, come to think of it, I had to space out my caliper bracket with washers on both my Z1 on my Chase and Super T on the AC. Hardware store bin of stainless steel washers...

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover

Granted, with the Avid CPS mounting system, it also makes it *very* easy to take up other little bits of slack in the system. Compensates very well if the any part of the caliper/hub/fork IS stuff is a little out of whack.
    I used the spacers that came on cheap v-brakes to space the pads for mine when I ran into this problem a few days ago.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Cool, I called a few bike shops and like normal they were clueless. I ordered spacers from Magura for a permenant solution but it looks like I'll be hitting the harware store to make it work over the weekend. I think I'll try to shim the fork mount instead of the rotor as shimming the rotor would just add more unsprung weight to the suspension

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    I used the spacers that came on cheap v-brakes to space the pads for mine when I ran into this problem a few days ago.
    Hey - I recognize that fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, I called a few bike shops and like normal they were clueless. I ordered spacers from Magura for a permenant solution but it looks like I'll be hitting the harware store to make it work over the weekend. I think I'll try to shim the fork mount instead of the rotor as shimming the rotor would just add more unsprung weight to the suspension
    not to mention, rotor bolts aren't that long...

ya, s1ngletrack, I bought it from the other singletrack and if he is reading this, thank you, I love it, it feel great at the dj's

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    s1ngletrack,

I've had no luck finding a shop with just a left side sram shifter that's willing to part with it for any kind of reasonable price. If your offer stands and your some where near the Boulder area I'd like to pick up the shifter?

If you drink beer (and aren't 16) I'd be happy to hook you up with some for your troubles...

Email ( ssrwheels@earthlink.net ) or PM me your info

Thanks
    Last edited by mango; 01-28-2005 at 04:17 PM.

Rocket Scientist
    My Hope Mono6's are the same way and it came with the Extra Spacers you need to set it up.My advice would be to goto a Bolt Supplier Like AAA Metric Supply or something of that nature and get what you need. They May have it. Look them up on http://www.dexonline.com

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Dat's what I've always done as well. How's that fork working out for you?

Yinz guys should see the 8" Manitou adapter I made outa Jamis suspension bits.