mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Boulder trails for a tourist...

Hello everyone, I'm going to be working in Boulder CO for 2 months this summer. I'll admit the potential for biking slightly helped my desicion... I'll be coming over from Scotland so I haven't a clue what to expect. Apart from lots of sun.

Are there dedicated trail centres where you can hire bikes for the day or is it more orientated towards exploring on your own? It seems to be a very outdoor orientated place, I'm guessing it won't be hard to find some good riding. Not sure about traveling yet, weather a car is needed or not to get to places like these.

Ah well thanks for any info.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveye
    Hello everyone, I'm going to be working in Boulder CO for 2 months this summer. I'll admit the potential for biking slightly helped my desicion... I'll be coming over from Scotland so I haven't a clue what to expect. Apart from lots of sun.

Are there dedicated trail centres where you can hire bikes for the day or is it more orientated towards exploring on your own? It seems to be a very outdoor orientated place, I'm guessing it won't be hard to find some good riding. Not sure about traveling yet, weather a car is needed or not to get to places like these.

Ah well thanks for any info.
    If you'll be here for 2 months, I'd strongly consider just buying a bike and then selling it before you leave. You can rent bikes, but they run from $30 - $100 per day and you'll quickly pay for a bike by renting. With the bus system and a bike in Boulder, you won't need a car. Boulder is easy to get around on a bike, and getting to Denver via the bus is simple as well.

There are trails you can ride from town (Betasso for one), but you'll have to pound out some miles of pavement to get to the better trails such as Hall Ranch, Heil Ranch or Walker.

skillz to pay billz
    If living and working in boulder then you don't need a car, You can take the nederland bus and get to some great trails, or as jdub said, riding to other trails via the road. For trails further out from Boulder you may try to befriend some locals or check here for group rides and tag along.

If you have a bike in scotland what is the cost to ship it or bring on the plane?

mtbr member
    I would look into buying a bike here and taking it home with you. It can work out well with exchange rates and taxes.

Rolling
    Daveye, you bring the right whisky and we will hook you up!

Old, stale, negative
    Keep it tuned right here and I'll would bet you'll get dragged along on more than you can handle this summer. I know I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Haha, yeah a few bottles of Talisker in exchange for some secret trails. Thanks for the ideas, nice to hear buses are bike friendly unlike here. Only trains are, which don't go very many useful places.

Buying a bike might be interesting, or flying mine over. Not sure what that would cost...

VooDoo user.
    I would think to fly your bike would not be that bad. My wife flies w/ her Tri-bike and I think it was $75 buck extra on her airline ticket. May be more from Europe. Call the airline. Plenty of great trails to be had. Just post on the forum when you get here. Someone is always going somewhere.

Good luck.

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveye
    Haha, yeah a few bottles of Talisker in exchange for some secret trails. Thanks for the ideas, nice to hear buses are bike friendly unlike here. Only trains are, which don't go very many useful places.

Buying a bike might be interesting, or flying mine over. Not sure what that would cost...
    Flying a bike would run around $100 each way. If you can find a big enough suitcase to fit your frame (or if it is a full susser, you can take it apart) you may get by without oversize fees, but you'd probably pay for extra luggage.

You can also ship it to one of the bike shops here. The trick would be to get the proper forms taken care of so you don' t pay duty both ways.

And yes, there are tons of options for riding that don't involve a need for a car. The determining factor would be your physical shape.

_MK

Which way? Uphill.
    I just recently flew with a bike on United, $85 each way. Here's the kicker, it's free for international flights!

So check with your airline, a lot of them allow your bike for free on an international flight.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Your retarded
    United just returned my bag of dive gear 35 days after it was supposed to arrive in DIA after being rechecked at LAX. I think the $1480 lost baggage claim made them look a little harder.

BTW, United will only insure up to $3000 for lost luggage. And anything valued over $250 has to be proven with a receipt of purchase. Some things to consider when flying with your bike.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bring your bike over

its worth the cost, unless you'd rather buy one here. Keep everybody posted as there should be lots of opportunities for you to ride with boulder folks either locally, or catch up with people driving their cars to rides out of boulder. I'd aslo recommend planning on trying to get out to other CO riding spots like Crested Butte, Winter Park, others can chime in. I'd be happy to show you around. Also there is fantastic road riding out of boulder, if you like that sort of thing. Keep us posted.

VooDoo user.
    Could also ship it. Ups BABY!!!!!!!!