Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110

    Boulder shop with good price on brake bleed

    Anyone know a good shop to get a brake bleed in Boulder? I've called a few shops and I get varying prices e.g. $40, $31 and $20 (per brake). I'd like a recommendation since a bad bleed can introduce air into the line. These are Avid incase it matters. Thanks

  2. #2
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,129
    Check the brake forum. With a little trial and error you can do it yourself, it's not really that complicated. Avid sells their bleed kit, it's inexpensive and it works. Get yourself a sixer and go to work!

    Technical Tuesday: How To Bleed Your Avid Elixir Brakes - Pinkbike

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    "One small mistake can introduce air into the system and mean that you'll have to begin the process all over again"

    Thanks for suggestion but no chance I want to try this. I'll gladly shell out $40 (cost of bleed kit anyway) but want to make sure I'm getting a quality bleed.

  4. #4
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,591
    Redstone in Lyons. He's bled both my bike's Avids, all was good.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  5. #5
    Kaj
    Kaj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    905
    We charge $20 per brake. Lots upon lots of those get done at our Pearl and Hill stores in Boulder.

    Redstone in Lyons would do a good job too.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

  6. #6
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,597
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    "One small mistake can introduce air into the system and mean that you'll have to begin the process all over again"

    Thanks for suggestion but no chance I want to try this. I'll gladly shell out $40 (cost of bleed kit anyway) but want to make sure I'm getting a quality bleed.
    It's better to learn it yourself. I've owned lots of Avid brakes over the years and find that generally they need to be bled every 6 months or so so you will be spending $$ and time if you bring it in each time. I occasionally ride with a couple of guys from SRAM and I swear that every year they've said that their "new" design was going to require less bleeding. I haven't tried the 2012s yet, but my new 2011 Elixers are 6 months old and they need a bleed....

    It really isn't hard to do a bleed, and frequently I will just do a re-pressurize (just the lever vs. the whole system) which usually fixes the softness and takes about a thrid of the time required to do a full bleed.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    We charge $20 per brake. Lots upon lots of those get done at our Pearl and Hill stores in Boulder.

    Redstone in Lyons would do a good job too.
    Just dropped off at the Pearl St. shop

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    It's better to learn it yourself. I've owned lots of Avid brakes over the years and find that generally they need to be bled every 6 months or so so you will be spending $$ and time if you bring it in each time. I occasionally ride with a couple of guys from SRAM and I swear that every year they've said that their "new" design was going to require less bleeding. I haven't tried the 2012s yet, but my new 2011 Elixers are 6 months old and they need a bleed....

    It really isn't hard to do a bleed, and frequently I will just do a re-pressurize (just the lever vs. the whole system) which usually fixes the softness and takes about a thrid of the time required to do a full bleed.
    More and more I wish I got XT instead of the Avids. I rode a ton of miles on my old hayes w/o bleed and never an issue (HFX I think). If this is the case I'll hit up a bleed kit or just get rid of them.

  9. #9
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,597
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    More and more I wish I got XT instead of the Avids. I rode a ton of miles on my old hayes w/o bleed and never an issue (HFX I think). If this is the case I'll hit up a bleed kit or just get rid of them.
    Yeah, I had some old Hayes from 2000 (before they really even had a model name) and I only bleed them twice in the 7ish years I used them--once was my fault. That being said, bleeding the Hayes was a real PITA and frequently left my bike room sprayed with DOT 4. At least the Avids are easy do and I get consistant results. I like the power and feel of the Avids a whole lot better than the Hayes. (although I have to say I was mighty impressed with the Shimano brakes (XTR, XT and SLX) I demoed recently at the Santa Cruz demo event).

  10. #10
    Kaj
    Kaj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    Just dropped off at the Pearl St. shop
    Shep's doing them next. He said he'll do as good a job as he used to do on JHK's bike, when he was the Trek factory mech
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

  11. #11
    157
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    Shep's doing them next. He said he'll do as good a job as he used to do on JHK's bike, when he was the Trek factory mech
    Did he ever insert some sort of electric motor into that guy's downtube?

  12. #12
    Kaj
    Kaj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    Did he ever insert some sort of electric motor into that guy's downtube?
    He would, but that's off the normal rate chart. I believe a 6 pack of Deviant Dale's is the current rate for secret electric motors.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

  13. #13
    Shread Ready
    Reputation: Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,073
    I hear yeah. I just had to do another front brake bleed after just having my front done somewhat recently. I don't think the shop did it correct because it had air in the system. It was my first day at Trestle after my first run. The brake wouldn't engage hard enough. The local shop Bike Source charged me $30 which seem about average. He did a good job and it feels great now. That was on my Hayes 9. I asked the guy if pulling the pads and re-seating the pistons would cause air to get in the system. I did this when I change wheel sets on my XM bike from the lighter stock wheels to my heavier beefy DH wheels. He said that would not of caused it unless I saw it leaking.

    I also run Avid Juicy 3's on my other bike. I haven't had to do that many bleeds on those but they do seem a little more maintenance prone than my Hayes 9's. I've read the manuals and would like to learn myself to save some $ but we'll see.

    BTW, while I've always liked Hayes I think I do like the overall feel of Avid's better.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,215
    I've got Shimano SLX brakes on 1 of my bikes and Avids on the other 2 (Elixir CR and Code R). I have to say I prefer the feel of the cheaper Shimanos and they don't require nearly as much maintenance. My Avids do tend to go soft every so often and require bleeding like someone else said. Only time I had to bleed the Shimanos is when shortening the lines. Plus bleeding the Avids is more difficult than the Shimanos and the Shimanos use mineral oil (which is a plus for me). I also like the new servo wave brake levers and pistons. They really retract the pads further from the rotor so it's not nearly as difficult to eliminate rubbing. I'm not going to change the Elixirs out because they came on the bike, I got aftermarket brake levers for them, and I do like the feel of them (especially with the Straitline levers), but if I was building a bike up from parts I would go with the XTs.

    Not sure why, but whenever I bleed any Avids I frequently see a lot more junk floating in the fluid. I don't really see this when I bleed Shimanos for my friends and such, even on some hard-used brakes. I wonder why that is.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  15. #15
    Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Reputation: jasonvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    996
    The longer you ride, the more you will learn to fix yourself. This process is accelerated if you race and/or ride DH.

    Start your journey today.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

  16. #16
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I swear that every year they've said that their "new" design was going to require less bleeding. I haven't tried the 2012s yet, but my new 2011 Elixers are 6 months old and they need a bleed....


    Though it seems hit or miss with bikes in my garage.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26
    Rather than starting another "which shop thread," does anybody have a suggestion as to where to get a steel hardtail frame chased and faced?

    In Boulder if possible...

  18. #18
    how heavy are you ??
    Reputation: Scottay5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    709
    Full cycle or Redstone!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    61
    Shep is one of my go to guys whenever I can't figure something out on my own.

    Does piss me off when I'm trying to fix something...spend an hour trying over and over...bring it to Shep. 30 seconds later...it's fixed. Jerk could at least make some struggling noises to make me feel better. :P

  20. #20
    Shread Ready
    Reputation: Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppyart View Post
    Shep is one of my go to guys whenever I can't figure something out on my own.

    Does piss me off when I'm trying to fix something...spend an hour trying over and over...bring it to Shep. 30 seconds later...it's fixed. Jerk could at least make some struggling noises to make me feel better. :P
    Ha, I hear that. Don't you hate it when you spent more money and time on something only to screw up and take it to a shop for the fix. I was trying to install some new pedals a while back and I realized you need to turn clockwise for the left foot but I couldn't get leverage to remove it. Took it to the shop and one second later it's off.

    All about leverage. They didn't charge me so that's cool.

  21. #21
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,511
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    The longer you ride, the more you will learn to fix yourself. This process is accelerated if you race and/or ride DH.
    True story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •