Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No good Boulder>Ned, Ned>Boulder

Looks like the words out, the bus to Ned made the “Scene” (pg. 25) in Bike this month. Sweet, nothing like a little national press to screw the pooch a bit more. They mention a “3000 foot decent back home” but luckily no directions. Thoughts?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

skillz to pay billz
    saw that yesterday, boo. Now where is that private 2000+ acre trail system in a development they mentioned on the next page?

ride
    I saw that, too. I thought it was kind of funny. It made it seem like you take the bus to Ned, hit all kinds of freeride stunts, then a rippin' 3000 foot descent to Boulder.

The private neighborhood, I'm sure, was Ken Caryl down by Deer Creek park.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    happy?
    Last edited by jugdish; 11-28-2007 at 10:37 AM.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Thoughts?
    I thought that some people would get all bent out of shape.
    You live in a bicycle mecca, get used to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh, I'm used to it. Thanks for the thoughts though.

You know actually I wouldn't say that I'm bent about it, but since they are both rides crossing private property with plenty of access issues without the press I'd say it's irresponsible journalism to say the least.
    Last edited by jugdish; 11-27-2007 at 09:42 AM.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

..ouch
    Didn't see the article, but disappointing they would publish this. I believe I know all the Ned > Boulder offroad routes and not one of them is legal without private land owner permission.

And, uh.. Ned freeride stunts? That still exists where?

!Vamos, flaco!
    That bus has been packed to the gills on Saturday mornings for years. I guess I don't see the big deal.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Bad Case of the Mondays
    The good news is the timing of it. I'd bet most people will have totally forgotten about it by the time it melts next spring.

ride
    "Gone are the days when you knew everyone you'd run into in Ned," is pretty much what I thought.

I guess I don't see it as irresponsible journalism, though. The article was pretty vague on routes. Looking at it from a strictly legal/land access point of view, there are tons of great mapped routes outside of Ned. There are several good, legal routes down to Boulder as well, but they involve spending at least a small time on dirt or paved roads.

If someone saw that article and, for the first time ever, took the bus to Ned, they could ride all day legally, cruise back to Boulder on public land and still have a great time. No harm, no foul on that one. The majority of Ned riding is far from "stash" anymore.

It's better press than the typical, "there's no riding in Boulder County" we usually get This is a great place to ride, but the promotion of such depends on your perspective, I guess...
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I guess I don't see it as irresponsible journalism, though. The article was pretty vague on routes. Looking at it from a strictly legal/land access point of view, there are tons of great mapped routes outside of Ned. There are several good, legal routes down to Boulder as well, but they involve spending at least a small time on dirt or paved roads.
    Can't go with you there. Given some of the land acquisitions over the past year there is not one fully legal route down to Boulder that starts within 5 miles of Ned unless you're riding roads more than 60% of the way. The few "social" routes that do exist are either on public land that is now technically closed for mtb access or on private land marked "no trespassing". I don't see how encouraging folks to hit illegal trail would be considered "good" journalism.

On the plus side, I doubt much will come of the article. As Jdub said, most will have forgotten about it by the time the snow melts and the others are going to have a tough time finding anything outside of the published routes without a local guide.

ride
    I understand where you're coming from Thump, but the article didn't mention any singletrack, strictly that it was a 3000' descent to Boulder. It's still a hell of a ride if you spend the day riding the habitrails and adjoining jeep roads, then hit Magnolia to 68j/flagstaff or spend a few minutes on the road outside of Ned to come down via Switzerland trail/Sugarloaf road, etc. Again, not all singletrack, but a good day in the saddle all the same. The point I was making is that it's still a fun day to ride the published routes down to Boulder, even if they are on roads.

Pick up the latest copy of Bike and read the article. It's about as vague as it could be.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Your retarded
    I didn't think there was even any riding in Boulder County. Might have to go check this Ned place out.

Honestly though, I can see why some of you guys would be frustrated. If someone started publishing some of the legal, lesser known trails around these parts, I'd be a little ticked off too. Just because public trails are public doesn't mean their existence needs to be advertised to the world. And if there are private trails or quasi-legal ones thrown in the mix, they definitely do not need to be hit with the public spotlight. It's like having a favorite bench in the park. It's totally public and it may seat five people, but eating lunch there every day is so much nicer when it's just you and the pigeons.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Rolling
    The Ned bus is the epitome of the Local Boulder Bike scene. I can't imagine masses, driving from outside, trying finding a parking spot to ride the N. I also can't imagine the vacationers flying out to Colorado, then choosing to ride the bus over the epics one would fly out for. It's probably a nice read in Bike, but I don't think it will change the scene.

BTW, for those who have never ridden the N and back to Boulder, it's not a push-over shuttle ride. There is usually 40+ miles just from the Bus station round trip and there is some climbing back to boulder, after riding the trails that you took the bus up for. It's not a newbie ride.

Last time I rode the N, I took the next bus after the 8:10 and there wasn't anyone on it.

I'm not really that concerned. But I would love to read the piece.
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-27-2007 at 12:42 PM.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    BTW, for those who have never ridden the N and back to Boulder, it's not a push-over shuttle ride. There is usually 40+ miles just from the Bus station round trip and there is some climbing back to boulder, after riding the trails that you took the bus up for. It's not a newbie ride.
    Absolutely agree. String together the West Mag stuff, hit the dots and then make your way back and its a pretty big day.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Yep, Ken Caryl, ridden there with some locals and the trails ARE indeed sweet. Bunch of cranky home owners though.
    Have you had an opportunity to try the newest addition to their trail quiver up there? If not, get a local to take you for a ride on it.

Outcast
    Nick, you've never ridden the northern sourdough or the south st. Vrain trals? You'd like them! Must do for next year.
    Most of the busloads of riders will never find the illegal trails anyway, so I don't see a big threat here.
    Since this thread is in this forum, can I post my spam in it now? I'm got some bike stuff to sell. [SIZE="1"]'07 66RC2X[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I haven't done the ride in a few years

The article did look a bit scary. The NED/West mag trails are so crowded anyway that I haven't done the bus in years. I always did enjoy the blue dots/68/Flagstaff ride, tho it is a strenuous XC ride.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    N
    Since this thread is in this forum, can I post my spam in it now? I'm got some bike stuff to sell. [SIZE="1"]'07 66RC2X[/SIZE]

Your retarded
    Nick, you've never ridden the northern sourdough or the south st. Vrain trails? You'd like them!
    I have ridden Sourdough and SSV and I did enjoy them. In fact, they were fantastic bits of trail. But are those the "Ned" trails that the article references? I thought it was the connecting stuff from Boulder to Ned... which I don't think those trails qualify for... do they?

I'm got some bike stuff to sell. '07 66RC2X
    Really? Tell me more. Steerer length, price, oops's, etc.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I have ridden Sourdough and SSV and I did enjoy them. In fact, they were fantastic bits of trail. But are those the "Ned" trails that the article references? I thought it was the connecting stuff from Boulder to Ned... which I don't think those trails qualify for... do they?
    Well I don't know what the article is about either, but I have definitely used the bus to access those and the dots on the way back from the West Mag area are some nice tech singletrack too.

Outcast
    Nick, no, those aren't the trails in the Ned article, those are several miles north of ned. The ned trails aren't anything like the sourdough and SSV trails in terms of character or quality, IMO.
    In regards to the spam, I'll measure to steertube tonight and p.m. you tomorrow with all the details. If you order now, I'll throw in that damn refrigerator I've been trying to get rid of.

Rolling
    Nick, no, those aren't the trails in the Ned article, those are several miles north of ned.
    But easily accessible via the Ned bus if you don't mind the Eldora Caribou Epic or riding on the Peak to Peak...which I enjoy FWIW...Lots of Options once you get off the Bus.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    The article did look a bit scary. The NED/West mag trails are so crowded anyway that I haven't done the bus in years. I always did enjoy the blue dots/68/Flagstaff ride, tho it is a strenuous XC ride.
    West Mag is crowded? Sure, it's nothing like it was years ago, but on several Saturday rides up there I've only had to stop once or twice for other riders.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    West Mag is crowded? Sure, it's nothing like it was years ago, but on several Saturday rides up there I've only had to stop once or twice for other riders.
    Circa 1999 the Hobit trails were such that we picked up out bikes, walked 100 feet to the trail to proceed. The ladders, etc were there.

This summer, final Forest service signs were put in on these 18 inch wide paths and the BMA had a full force of bike patrollers. It gets busy on some days and you will find lots cars lined up along West Mag road.

According to BMA meetings, West mag is now one of the first trails that new riders hit in Boulder county once they leave the city area. Betasso is another.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast