mtbr member

Boulder Conditions

Are Betasso, Hall, Heil or Walker good to go in the mornings? I would assume it is still muddy during the afternoons.

Erik

mtbr member
    We hiked Walker yesterday with the dog and were pretty shocked how dry it was on the south side. There are pockets snowpacked/iced overthe trail (manly in the tree sections), but nothing that you can't get off your bike and walk a few feet. There have been people up there riding, so if you go early I think you'll be okay.

BG
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick relpy. Denver is also finally starting to dry out. White Ranch is good to go to the bench and GM is "oh so close". I know Dakota is ready to go at any time.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Has anyone been out by Marshall, dowdy area. The wind was really howling today, so maybe it's drying out.

mtbr member
    I stopped by Hall yesterday and it was wet and muddy - on the open sections. People have been riding and hiking through it and it's getting ruts. It's going to be awhile until it's ready to ride. Bummer.

mtbr member
    I would of thought the rock garden would of been dry by now. Oh well.

Erik

slack jawed
    I rode Heil yesterday morning when the temps were in the 20s and overcast. The first section to the bench, before entering the woods, was pretty rutted from tires and boots. Once I got into the woods the trail was about 95% dry with only the occasional short section of snow/ice.

The loop was a different story. I went clockwise and the "northern" section was over 50% packed snow but still rideable. The "southern" section was only about 25% snow/ice. And I had a great ride back to the car.

Heil is good as long as the temps are below freezing and the sun isn't out.
    I've got nothing witty to say....

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Most trails are still not ready to ride. It's a rough winter, we may not have good trails till March or later except for when it's well below freezing.

Here is a website that has trail conditions

http://www.bouldercounty.org/openspa...ails_meter.htm

Pueblo of course is still very good, as are the dirt roads with the cross bike... It's hard to get our fix but we'll find it where we can.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I checked out Dakota / MW yesterday. Dakota itself is good regardless of temps (save for the staircase; oddly, the upper staircase was almost perfect). Going clockwise, after crossing the road, there is some moisture on the trail, it was frozen yesterday, but would be mucky when thawed. Past both road crossings by Red Rocks and the stream the rest of the climb was perfect, all the way to the top of Morrison Slide. Coming down Morrison Slide was pretty much all ice with patches of dirt helping correct the line and avoid spillage. Stream crossing past the Slide was all ice, coming back up was good, though. From there you've got to watch out for the hidden ice (under a layer if dirt) by the streams; I'll have to go see a chiropractor today to get my neck re-set back into place. The bike only section back to the parking lot will be a real mess when it thaws.

For now, I'd recommend doing Dakota, maybe to the top of Morrison Slide and turning around.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I rode Antelope Thursday morning at dawn and it was a great big frozen sheet of ice for the most part. I'm not sure that I would have been able to ride it without studded tires. What wasn't ice was totally frozen dirt but I was off the trail by a little before 8:00 am. It was obvious that it would be mud pretty quickly when it warmed up.

$!/#%&!!!
    I concur with MK. I also did Dakota yesterday and it is near perfect. The lower staircase is a veritable sheet of ice and I found it near impossible to ride/walk up or down one section because there is nothing but ice. In most places there is a bit of rock or water bar exposed where you can step and navigate the ice. However, many folks have begun creating a new trail(s) off to the side. Let's try to keep the trail width to a minimum.
    I'm gone, Mangk!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Betasso was icy and actually treacherous today, I miss the packed snow. It's going to be a while before it's good.
    2 wheels

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Did a trail run on Bitterbrush at Hall Ranch on Saturday (late afternoon). Lots of really bad spots, lots of areas where the trail is approaching 10 ft wide now. Pueblo or bust.