mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Boulder City Council - mtb ticket?

So its election time again in Boulder. I know some of our city council regularly vote against MTB trails and etc. Its been pretty frustrating, especially when it looks like they'll support a new trail, then at the last minute its shot down.

Anyway, who should I vote for this time around? Or, who should I vote against? Is there a handy source for mtb related votes the council has taken in the past?

contains quinine
    I don't live in Boulder so I'm voting for exactly none of them, but this is floating around the interwebs via Jason Vogel:

CITY OF BOULDER COUNCIL CANDIDATES

Your local officials make WAY more of a difference in your day to day life than voting for congress or even president. So it is always sad that we have the lowest turnout for deciding who will run our city. Generally getting about 6000 people in Boulder to vote for you equals a seat on city council – out of 100,000 citizens. That’s 6% of the population – wow! Here is my basic theory on selecting city council members – judge each person based on their merits, but above all, make sure that each person will help constructively define Boulder’s future. Too many of our city council members look to the past for guidance on where the city of Boulder needs to go. Not enough people on council had to buy a house in the last 10 years; too many of them are in the twilight of their careers; not enough understand the vibrant and brilliant community that has made Boulder a mecca for smart entrepreneurial people who work hard and play hard. This needs to change. We need new ideas and open minded people on council who understand that Boulder’s future is more than the sum of our past accomplishments. There are no “conservatives” running for Boulder city council. But there are people sadly out of touch with the population. But they are only out of touch because the majority of us DO NOT VOTE!!! So send my thoughts along to your friends and colleagues who you know feel the way that we do, but may not have the time or energy to do the research.
    VOTE FOR ANDREW SHOEMAKER

Andrew is smart, and he has attracted support from all corners of the Boulder political spectrum – from former Governor Bill Ritter and former County Commissioner/former Mayor Will Toor to Community Cycles Advocacy Director Sue Prant and Boulder Tail Runner Buzz Burrell. These are not folks that always agree, but they all agree that Andrew is a good choice for council, and I agree with them. He is a lawyer, and despite all of the lawyer jokes, I have found lawyers to be incredibly effective because they listen to all arguments and judge them based on their merit. Andrew also has a young family and will be the ONLY council member with kids at home if he is elected. Despite his busy schedule as a lawyer, Andrew made a tremendous personal commitment of time to bring the USA Pro Cycling Challenge to Boulder in 2012. For those of you who were not around, this was much more than a pro cycling race – it was a community social event on par with the Bolder Boulder and the Boulder Creek Festival. And instead of spending time making money at lawyer rates, Andrew took time away from his career and his family to bring this event to Boulder and enrich all of our lives. He deserves your vote.
    VOTE FOR ED BYRNE

Ed is also smart, and has attracted the wide diversity of support that you see with Andrew. Ed was on the editorial board of the Daily Camera for 7 years, so you can go searching for his opinions on a number of issues. Suffice it to say that Ed is bold and has a vision for Boulder’s future that I think will keep our community vibrant and unique. He is not content with the status quo, but wants to expand the bike-ability and bus-ability of our town. He wants to make our communities more walkable – so you can shop and work close to where you live. He has an open mindedness and depth of experience to represent all of Boulder, and not just a small subset.
    VOTE FOR SAM WEAVER

Normally, I am extremely suspect of the people who receive endorsements from PLAN Boulder County and The Sierra Club – Indian Peaks Group. This is because these two organizations are captive to a small, aging subset of our community that seems to believe that they know what is best for the rest of us. I have found them to be unwelcome to differing points of view and actively hostile to issues that I care about – like getting people out into nature and funding our alternative transportation infrastructure. I just don’t get it. But I do agree with these organizations that Sam is an excellent candidate for Boulder City Council. While Sam’s core interests are focused on energy, municipalization, and environmental responsibility, I also found him to be very open minded to the work hard/play hard culture that is the life blood of Boulder. Even though Sam almost certainly does not need my endorsement to win election to city council, he has spent hours talking to me about issues that I think are important for the future of our town. If his intellectually curious and thoughtful questions and answers are any indication of the kind of council member he will be, he deserves your vote.
    VOTE FOR NO ONE ELSE

While technically you are allowed to vote for 5 candidates, if you vote for others, you will reduce the chances of these three above getting elected. This is because your 5th ‘meh’ vote for a candidate is considered just as important as your ‘hell yeah!’ first vote. When all the votes are totaled, your ‘meh’ candidate may very well kick your ‘hell yeah!’ candidate out of the running. In my opinion all of the other candidates have either already served enough time on Boulder city council and need to make room for fresh ideas or they are not experienced and qualified enough to run our city or they are “bought and paid for” by the very people that I think don’t listen to people like you and me.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    While technically you are allowed to vote for 5 candidates, if you vote for others, you will reduce the chances of these three above getting elected.
    WTH???

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    WTH???
    If you vote for some person as well, it just may be possible that that additional vote for them puts them a vote ahead of a person you REALLY want. I don't know the odds of that really happening.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the above info. We need to vote many of the current Boulder
    City council out of office. They are way out of touch with the average person and seem to make one bad decision after another IMO.

That being said I will second Andrew shoemaker as he seems to be one of the most in touch candidates running.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Andrew. Brought Pro Challenge to Boulder. Great guy. Cyclist.

Ed Byrne. Smart, reasonable!
    My votes.
    I know both guys on a personal and professional basis.
    Last edited by jimmy; 10-18-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    If you want more trails open to bikes you should be voting for candidates who support active-use recreation vs passive use recreation and are willing to change Boulder's Open Space tax codes to allow this type of activity in open space parks.

Supporting more candidates who label themselves as "environmentalists" will in the end reduce the number of places you have to ride as these same people are too quick to place conservation easements or allow other non-mtb friendly methods to close areas/trails to access by our user group.

You should be looking for candidates who support less government, not more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sam Weaver is doing an AMA on reddit today:

I am Sam Weaver running for City Council. Ask me anything (Fri. 10/25 @ 5:30 PM) : boulder

Maybe we'll get a little more info on his mtb stance.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Sam Weaver is doing an AMA on reddit today:

I am Sam Weaver running for City Council. Ask me anything (Fri. 10/25 @ 5:30 PM) : boulder

Maybe we'll get a little more info on his mtb stance.

Ask him if he supports changing open space tax codes to include mountain biking as passive use recreation.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    I don't live in Boulder so I'm voting for exactly none of them, but this is floating around the interwebs via Jason Vogel:
    Thanks for that, been wondering how to vote, and who to vote for if I don't want PLAN-Boulder running my city (alas, wishful thinking).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just filling in my ballot and this is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I can't vote for Andrew Shoemaker since he supported the Hogan-Pancost developer's plans to build a new community on a flood plain (near my neighborhood) [Hogan/Pancost-Discuss] [SEBNA Neighbors] Comment: Oppose Andrew Shoemaker for CC Re: plan boulder candidate forum

But I'll vote for Ed and Sam

lucky enough
    mountain biking IS considered passive use. That 's why you can do it on some trails.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't live in Boulder, although I do occasionally ride the trails in the area. I would say though that while MTB trails are important to me, there are a lot of things that I consider. I really love having fun on my bike, but in the grande scheme of things, it's just one of many issues to consider.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    mountain biking IS considered passive use. That 's why you can do it on some trails.
    It doesn't matter what we think. If it were passive-use it would be allowed on ALL trails.

"The Open Space Charter placed a strong emphasis on the “preservation” of open space lands for their natural values, and made specific provisions for “passive” recreation defined by example as “hiking, photography, or nature studies;” and, if “specifically designated,” bicycling, horseback riding, or fishing.” This categorizing of bikes as a special designation indicates that by the time riding had emerged as a significant land-use issue (1986), the city was doubtful about its inclusion as a passive activity."

FOBOS Mountain Bikes Hogan

lucky enough
    I understand your interpretation of the wording but if biking wasn't considered passive recreation it wouldn't be allowed at all. We may be splitting hairs here, but biking and horseback riding are excluded from many trails mostly because of potential user conflict, trail design issues, and "environmental concerns".

Now older but less slow!
    So it looks like Sam Weaver and Andrew Shoemaker both got seats on Boulder City Council. Alas, Ed Byrne came in 7th.

1 Mary Young 13,733
    2 Matthew Appelbaum 13,339
    3 Sam Weaver 12,828
    4 Andrew Shoemaker 11,650
    5 Macon Cowles 11,248
    6 Micah Parkin 10,081
    7 Ed Byrne 9,036
    8 John Gerstle 7,656
    9 Kevin Hotaling 4,217
    10 Jonathan Dings 3,907
    11 Greatful Fred Smith 2,023

Good for Boulder cycling?

lucky enough
    I think it is. More folks with a balanced viewpoint. We can both preserve the environment and enjoy it!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    I think it is. More folks with a balanced viewpoint. We can both preserve the environment and enjoy it!
    Burn the witch!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    So it looks like Sam Weaver and Andrew Shoemaker both got seats on Boulder City Council. Alas, Ed Byrne came in 7th.

1 Mary Young 13,733
    2 Matthew Appelbaum 13,339
    3 Sam Weaver 12,828
    4 Andrew Shoemaker 11,650
    5 Macon Cowles 11,248
    6 Micah Parkin 10,081
    7 Ed Byrne 9,036
    8 John Gerstle 7,656
    9 Kevin Hotaling 4,217
    10 Jonathan Dings 3,907
    11 Greatful Fred Smith 2,023

Good for Boulder cycling?
    Good? Probably not, as 4 of the 5 open seats were still taken by Plan-Boulder. Better than it could have been? Yes, as one of the seats was taken by someone not a part of that machine, and one of the seats was taken by someone that is part of the machine but still sympathetic.