The Martian
    Jan 2007

Boulder bikeshops

Hi all. I'm moving to boulder to start grad school in a few weeks. Since bikeshops seem to be a dime a dozen around there I'd love some help in narrowing it down a bit.

I'd do this footwork myself (and drool over new bikes in the process) but I'm looking to have at least my roadie (Giant OCR 3 if it matters) shipped to and assembled by a shop as it needs a once over anyway and I don't want to tinker with it like I normally do and not have transportation in the meantime (mt bike might be in the deal as well, though I'm more likely to just rebuild that one myself). Doing things this way means I will only have phone conversation with the shop ahead of time (the bike will be shipped and built before I get to CO since I'm taking a side trip before moving).

So, recommendations on a local (I'll be walking to the shop from the area of campus, be kind ) shop that has a good, honest mechanic and won't charge me an arm and a leg (an arm is ok) for a "box build" would be greatly appreciated. (PMs that say "for the love of all things holy don't go here: ______" are welcome as well!)

Thanks. Looking forward to riding outside of CA again!

VooDoo user.
    Are you really a cougar?

skillz to pay billz
    Vecchios on pearl has some great mechanics, Mainly a roadie shop but will do great work on MTBs. Sports garage is another good shop with quality service, both mtb and road. The Fix for DH/freeride stuff and sweet dirt jumps.

FT$
    mtbr member
    Full Cycle is a Giant dealer if that matters. Two Boulder shops (one on The Hill directly across from campus).

http://fullcyclebikes.com/

enjoy Boulder! ...great town to ride roadie in.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Vecchios on pearl has some great mechanics, Mainly a roadie shop but will do great work on MTBs. Sports garage is another good shop with quality service, both mtb and road. The Fix for DH/freeride stuff and sweet dirt jumps.
    I once liked Sports Garage, then a few years back all the good service disappeared, no more good (and free) advice and prices skyrocketed and it went way upscale. I've had very negative experiences there since.

_MK

skillz to pay billz
    I'll be honest, I haven't brought my bike into sports garage since I do most of my own work but they've alway given good advice and seem helpful from a sales perspective.

mtbr member
    I have had excellent service at Sports Garage and occasionally still bring my bike in (although I do most of my own wrenching). However, a few of my friends have had bad experiences, which I suppose is possible at any shop.

FYI, I'm not sure how you define "walking distance," but Sports Garage is a little over a mile north of campus. Full Cycle is just across the street from the west end of campus.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I once liked Sports Garage, then a few years back all the good service disappeared, no more good (and free) advice and prices skyrocketed and it went way upscale. I've had very negative experiences there since.

_MK
    I'm curious about your bad experience(s). Are you mad because you have to PAY TO PLAY. Nothing in life is free (repairs), and I doubt they would deny you some free advice. The amount of knowledge at SG is a cumulative of over 60 years wrenching/service.

As for SG being upscale.....it's just the niche they fill. If you want a mass produced bike like Trek, giant, specialized, etc. you go to Full cycle, bicycle village, or U bikes. Thats the niche they fill. You probably don't like Pro-peloton or Veccios either because they are on the upscale spectrum.
    Again I think we deserve to hear your specific experiences to make your claims valid.

Just my .02

skillz to pay billz
    SG has yeti so that's one reason I stop in there. Bling watch.
    Last edited by nOOby; 07-26-2008 at 07:57 PM.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions all, much appreciated.

BTW: I walk far too much, so I'd go 3 miles, farther if it's on a bus line and it'd be a nice ride home

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    I'm curious about your bad experience(s). Are you mad because you have to PAY TO PLAY. Nothing in life is free (repairs), and I doubt they would deny you some free advice. The amount of knowledge at SG is a cumulative of over 60 years wrenching/service.

As for SG being upscale.....it's just the niche they fill. If you want a mass produced bike like Trek, giant, specialized, etc. you go to Full cycle, bicycle village, or U bikes. Thats the niche they fill. You probably don't like Pro-peloton or Veccios either because they are on the upscale spectrum.
    Again I think we deserve to hear your specific experiences to make your claims valid.

Just my .02
    OKAY.

VooDoo user.
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    OKAY.

Just as I figured.